• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Got a new pup - Australian Shepherd

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No name yet. But he's a cute boy.

Attachments

• IMG_4956.jpg
    IMG_4956.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0727.jpg
    IMG_0727.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_4965.jpg
    IMG_4965.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 176

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Cute!

I'm sure you will get suggestions for his name. How about dammit, get out of there, or stop that? :brows:

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My cousin is heavily involved in Aussies. His wife was heavily involved in writing the breed standards. He is a trainer, shower, judge, and provider of sheep for trials. Well known among those involved in herding.

Fascinating animals.

He has videos at his site. One free. Worth a look.

http://twincreekherding.com/jerry-rowe/

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
My cousin is heavily involved in Aussies. His wife was heavily involved in writing the breed standards. He is a trainer, shower, judge, and provider of sheep for trials. Well known among those involved in herding.

Fascinating animals.

He has videos at his site. One free. Worth a look.

http://twincreekherding.com/jerry-rowe/

This forum never ceases to amaze me. :clap::clap::clap:

Melensdad, that is one beautiful, cute puppy. I'm sure he will bring a lot of joy and happiness to you and your family.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
we had one like that when I was young. really easy to teach
we called it dingo because it had some in it. it worked the cattle good.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
BTW, both Jerry and Sharon are wonderful people. If you have any questions, give them a call.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You're giving naming suggestions to a guy who named a female dog WALTER!!!! I shudder to think what he's going to call this one. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

My wife threatened to name it BOB

So far we have Mitty and Elvis as the 2 in the popularity lead. I like Mitty. Melen likes Elvis.

The lovely Mrs_Bob loves her sleep at night and got up and left the room after putting the puppy into our bed. So I had Walter and the puppy with me, she went down the hall for a good night's sleep. The 3 of us got up 1 time to go outside to go pee. Then we got up at 6am again. Really not a bad night.

We have had an pee-accident in the house this morning :doh:

Poop has been an outside thing :smile:

He and Walter seem to get along pretty well. In fact Walter was uncommonly gentle with him so that is good. Not to say there was not a moment or two when Walter was getting a bit fed up. But 98% of the time has been good, so that is a win for the household.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well we had an impromptu family meeting this morning and, despite Melen's objections and protestations, the dog shall forever be known as MITTY from now on. So it was deemed, so shall it be!

I am home babysitting.

Walter & Mitty have a visitor. Georgie is here and its funny that when Georgie gets a bit rowdy around Mitty then Walter will intervene and push Georgie out of the way. Near as I can tell Walter is not protecting Mitty but rather claiming Mitty as property that only she can abuse.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Right eye is green, left eye is blue

Attachments

• IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 160

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our daughters border collie has two different color eyes too, one very light blue and the other green. Sure looks different. I've never heard of people with this 'feature'.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Our daughters border collie has two different color eyes too, one very light blue and the other green. Sure looks different. I've never heard of people with this 'feature'.

If you ever come across some, they are zombies. Shoot them in the head ... and double tap!!!!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome dog Bob!

My dog is half Aus Shepard. Her favorite game is herding. She'll charge at me and get withing a foot or two but she does it so quickly, you can't get a hand on her.

I like the way they lay down with both legs straight out the back (like pic 3 in post 1). Mine is 9-years-old and she still lays down like that.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Love it when a Dog gets a new and very good home!

Of course I just love Dogs in general. I can not imagine life without at least one.

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So potty training is not going well. On the bright side almost all accidents are happening on the tile floor. I'm using the same method as when I trained the Akitas but it doesn't seem to be working yet. He does sleep in our bed and sleeps through the night without a problem. He goes outside immediately when he wakes up in the morning AND after every nap he takes. And I take him out constantly while he is awake too. Praise each time. But I don't think he's getting it and clearly not asking to go outside.

I've had all 3 of our Akitas trained in 3 to 4 days. We are at about 40 hours in our house and I see no signs of understanding.

Love it when a Dog gets a new and very good home!

Of course I just love Dogs in general. I can not imagine life without at least one.

Regards, Kirk

YUP YUP YUP

We've had 2 dogs in our home for the majority of the 32 years we've been married. Only last spring/early summer was a time when we had ZERO dogs. That was just after Misha died and while we were on the walk across Spain. We got Walter a couple weeks after we returned from Spain.

Now, with Mitty, we are back to 2 dogs in the house again :flowers:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I was a bit like you when we got our youngest one several years ago. I'd always house trained our dogs in a matter of days but Gypsy, our lab cross, just never seemed to get it. Then I realized that she was entirely over thinking the problem. Her favorite place to go was in the master bathroom and it struck me that is where she goes because that is where she knows that I go so it had to be OK for her to go there too ... right? Once I figured that out, it was simple. I kept her on a long training leash in the house and she was always with me, except when I went to the bathroom. As soon as she showed signs of needing to go, we went outside. That was it. She finally put two and two together and never a problem since.

As I said, sometimes really smart dogs over think the problem.

By the way, for the last 20-years we have been at least a two dog household. For a long time we had 3 dogs but I think that 2 is much more manageable. I don't think that there will ever be a day when we don't have at least one.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was a bit like you when we got our youngest one several years ago. I'd always house trained our dogs in a matter of days but Gypsy, our lab cross, just never seemed to get it. Then I realized that she was entirely over thinking the problem. Her favorite place to go was in the master bathroom and it struck me that is where she goes because that is where she knows that I go so it had to be OK for her to go there too ... right? Once I figured that out, it was simple. I kept her on a long training leash in the house and she was always with me, except when I went to the bathroom. As soon as she showed signs of needing to go, we went outside. That was it. She finally put two and two together and never a problem since.

As I said, sometimes really smart dogs over think the problem.

I walked outside and pee'd off the edge of the patio. I feel better :w00t2:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob - Got to thinking about this when I found myself doing it yesterday.

Consider teaching the dog hand signals. This breed seems to recognize them easily.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob - Got to thinking about this when I found myself doing it yesterday.

Consider teaching the dog hand signals. This breed seems to recognize them easily.

Well I can't get him to understand his name, so maybe American Sign Language is what I need to do to communicate with this dog :doh:

We had 1 Akita that was trained to both voice and/or body/hand signals. Another Akita was moderately trained to both as well. And our 3rd Akita, he was just lucky he was cute and lovable :wink:

The Aussie Shep is a challenge. Seriously. A challenge. He doesn't really seem to understand much. He is barely starting to understand his name. Not much more.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thinking of you Bob...

Attachments

• 17591d1495661172-sign-posters-clever-sayings-poop.jpg
    17591d1495661172-sign-posters-clever-sayings-poop.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 171

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thinking of you Bob...
Dog is killing me.

I take this dog out 20, seriously 20 times a day. He pees 18 of those 20 times and gets praised. We talk about it in advance, I try to reason with him. Blah blah blah

We go out, he pees in the yard, he gets praised. He comes inside, not 5 minutes pass, there is a damn puddle on the floor.

Or, I catch him mid stream on the tile floor, scream shout have a kanipshon fit, carry him out, he finishes in the yard, gets praised. Comes back inside, 10 minutes pass, there is a damn puddle on the floor again.

WTH?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Why not just leave him outside most of the day? Might get the hang of doing his business out there and marking his territory.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Why not just leave him outside most of the day? Might get the hang of doing his business out there and marking his territory.

In ground pool is in the fenced 'dog yard' and until I know 1) he can swim or 2) he will stay away from the pool, there is no way I'm leaving him unattended in the yard.

Plus the fact that its been raining almost constantly lately, pretty miserable outside.