• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Creationists are lowering ability to think in young people

fr73ed

Bill Nye: Creationism Is 'Raising A Generation Of Young People Who Can't Think'
The Huffington Post | By Antonia Blumberg
Email
Posted: 12/13/2014 8:59 am EST Updated: 12/13/2014 10:59 am EST

Tweet
Comment
Share on Google+
The biggest danger creationism plays, according to Bill Nye the "Science Guy," is that it is raising a generation of children who "can't think" and who "will not be able to participate in the future in same way" as those who are taught evolution.

Speaking on MidPoint, Nye said he blames an older generation of evangelicals "who have very strong conservative views" and who are "reluctant to let kids learn about evolution." Their presence on school boards leads to debates over curriculum, Nye argued, which further inhibits schools' ability to teach facts.

"Religion is one thing. People get tremendous comfort and community with their religions," Nye said. "But whatever you believe, whatever deity or higher power you might believe in, the Earth is not 6,000 years old."

Nye, who has a new book out titled "Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation," recently participated in a debate with creationist Ken Ham, which some argued was a moment of embarrassment for the science community.

University of Chicago evolution professor Jerry A. Coyne called the debate "pointless and counterproductive." The Guardian's Pete Etchells wrote:

Scientific literacy is crucial for society to function effectively, which means that we can’t afford to be messing around with the way that it’s taught in the classroom or wasting our time with fruitless public debates.
Nye stood by the debate, however, saying he "stepped into the lion's den" in order to spread awareness about the academic opportunities children are denied by being creationism.

"They will not have this fundamental idea that you can question things, that you can think critically, that you can use skeptical thought to learn about nature," Nye told MidPoint. "These children have to suppress everything that they can see in nature to try to get a world view that's compatible with the adults in who they trust and rely on for sustenance."

H/T RawStory

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Never trust a man who regularly wears a bow tie. Listening to Bill Nye and reading the Huffington Post is lowering the ability to think in people. Nye knows nothing about Christianity. He won't acknowledge that many Christians believe in Creationism as an allegory.
As an atheist Nye isn't even willing to believe in the concept of Intelligent Design.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
University of Chicago evolution professor Jerry A. Coyne called the debate "pointless and counterproductive."

For once I think that I agree with the professor.

Nye is trying to stir up controversy in order to sell books.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I don't understand how people like Nye keep saying that people who believe in creationism literally think that the world was made 6000 years ago?

Personally I believe that a "day" in the book of Genesis stands for an indeterminate length of time. I know other Christians who believe the same.
Nye is not a Christian or a Jew; he is an agnostic. Isaiah 11:2 (KJV) says this:

And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD . . .
Therefore Nye lacks this spirit of understanding.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One time I heard a priest say: Everything in the Bible is true. And some of it actually happened.

I think that sums up things very nicely. There are 'truths' and there are stories. Some stories convey the truth in a way that people can actually comprehend them, they don't have to be 100% scientifically accurate to convey the truth in a way that is understandable to most of us.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't understand how people like Nye keep saying that people who believe in creationism literally think that the world was made 6000 years ago?

Personally I believe that a "day" in the book of Genesis stands for an indeterminate length of time. I know other Christians who believe the same.
Nye is not a Christian or a Jew; he is an agnostic. Isaiah 11:2 (KJV) says this:

Therefore Nye lacks this spirit of understanding.

One time I heard a priest say: Everything in the Bible is true. And some of it actually happened.

I think that sums up things very nicely. There are 'truths' and there are stories. Some stories convey the truth in a way that people can actually comprehend them, they don't have to be 100% scientifically accurate to convey the truth in a way that is understandable to most of us.

Case in Point: The Book of Esther. An obvious play in three acts that was "discovered" during the Jewish enslavement in
Babylon, when the Jews sorely needed something to raise their spirits. A "truth" indeed ... but it never happened.

fr73ed

"Never trust a man who regularly wears a bow tie. "

Yeah, I agree with this, strange that anyone would wear a bowtie ...

"Listening to Bill Nye and reading the Huffington Post is lowering the ability to think in people."

Opinions vary.

"Nye knows nothing about Christianity."

Maybe he just doesn't say anything about his knowledge of Christianity.

"He won't acknowledge that many Christians believe in Creationism as an allegory."

How's that ? Please explain what you mean about Creationism is allegory.

"As an atheist Nye isn't even willing to believe in the concept of Intelligent Design."

Intelligent design? You mean to say that someone has planned all this that we can see ?
I'd really like to see some of the blueprints for that.

For example, how do you make a drawing in order to have an orgasm?

leadarrows

Intelligent design? You mean to say that someone has planned all this that we can see ?
I'd really like to see some of the blueprints for that.

For example, how do you make a drawing in order to have an orgasm?
That's trivial ...look at DNA...read about String Theroy

If you were building critters you want to self multiply you would know they need incentive to do what it takes. Pleasure does that very well.
It would seem much more likely to be by design then by chance.
Less the desire to reproduce a species would have very little chance of survival imo.

Blue print?
God could show it to you but you wouldn't be able to read it. It would start at a subatomic level.
I believe in Science...Science is gods Blue Print and Building Blocks.