• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Our big Akita got loose from the yard today….

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our big Akita dog got out of the yard because the gate wasn't latched. (NOT MY FAULT)

She's 90+ pounds of fangs and claws if you (or any animal) is insider HER territory. But if one of my family members lets you inside then the dog is just a big lap dog. This dog has destroyed cats, 'coons, rabbits, possums and chased down deer. Oh, and a couple 2 legged folks have had a bad day by testing her.

So naturally when we see the gate is open and she is not inside the house we are concerned for the life and limb of any innocent bystander. AND IT IS DOWNPOURING RAIN OUTSIDE. I go running out the front door, others out the back. I hit the mud in the driveway because I had 18 yards of topsoil delivered and its been raining and melting that into mud so I go slide across the driveway, land flat on my back but am not hurt. Get up and go off around the side toward my workshop calling for the dog. My back is coated in mud, the rest of me is just wet. My sister-in-law is in the back yard going toward the same gate that I am going toward.

My wife is in the car and nobody really has a clue where she is going. :pat:

So I'm calling her name. My sister-in-law is calling her name. Melen is calling her name.

The dog pops out from under a thick Mugo Pine, which is RIGHT NEXT TO THE OPEN GATE, she went under the pine and was trying to keep dry and wondered why we were all running around screaming her name! She was confused and didn't understand why we were all calling her but she really hates getting wet and we called her out of her dry spot. She just wanted to get back into the dry house. Beat me inside and I was the one who needed the towel.

The lovely Mrs_B eventually returned home. Misha was standing at the garage door waiting for her, wagging her tail.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
LOL. But I know the feeling, it's not fun. Glad she's home safe. :thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Misha has a 'spot' that she claimed, its inside the gated yard but only about 20 feet from the gate. Its also right next to that big Mugo Pine that she hid under but the pine is on the OUTSIDE of the gate.

So from what I can tell, when the rain started, she went out the gate to get under that pine.

Oh, and my back and my elbows are hurting now. And did I mention the rock I dug out of the palm out of my hand?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Those are big dogs. A friend of mine has two of them, Sumo and Misha.

Even a friendly Akita like mine is a very intimidating animal to people who are not familiar with the dog. This is our 3rd Akita and I'd never approach a strangers Akita without being cautious and asking permission, for an introduction, etc. The same can be said about any other large breed. You don't know if it is a big fuzzy friendly dog ... or not!

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
This dog has destroyed cats, 'coons, rabbits, possums and chased down deer. Oh, and a couple 2 legged folks have had a bad day by testing her.

Holy moly. How does this affect your home owner's insurance?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Holy moly. How does this affect your home owner's insurance?

NOT AT ALL

In all cases the dog was "in the right" and not "at fault."

Two times the dog stopped advances from humans that were considered inappropriate and protected her human.

As for the animals, they were inside her fenced yard, and therefore prey.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
awwwww. glad she is okay. my aunt owns an akita. pretty, tho, yep- they'll ingest things, promply.
lol, she is not a 'lil doggy!