• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I bought myself a new toy!

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeasu FT-450D. I really like this radio, and have been getting rave reviews on the audio from the standard PTT mike. I will be hooking up my Heil Pro Set HC-4 boomset as soon as the adapter gets here. I've gotten used to having my hands free and using the foot switch/boomset.

FT-450D_thumb.jpg

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats to you! I wish I had one of those but I just don't have the time (and money) to get the license, set up the tower/antena and dedicate a room to the project. Sure would be fun to play with at night while everyone else is glued to the tube.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
hey i picked up a new toy a couple of months ago a vintage kenwood ts140 i've powered it up but due to time constraints havn't put up an antenna yet to put it on the air.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
hey i picked up a new toy a couple of months ago a vintage kenwood ts140 i've powered it up but due to time constraints havn't put up an antenna yet to put it on the air.
That's a nice looking rig with great reviews from eham.com (4.2/5). For a rig from the '80's, it's still a sought after unit. Is yours the black face or brushed steel face?

Heading to the Cleveland Hamfest this morning just to nose around and chew the fat with folks. I mentioned yesterday on a local repeater that I was going there today just to pick up some PL259 90 degree angle adapters from Tower Electronics for an antenna I built, and one of the guys said to save my money and just meet him there and he'd give me as many as I wanted. It's nice meeting people that have been hams so long that they look forward to cleaning out their excess pieces-parts to help out the newbies like me. I'll bring him a Dunkin Donuts coffee for his kindness.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My neighbor has an old Yeasu Radio in his attic. Used to belong to his father. This thead is making me want to talk him out of it...and get a licence. Sounds kinda fun, for sure. We use 25watt VHF on the farm. It is much better than a cell phone IMHO..

I would like to be able to talk to dds when ever the urge hits....

Regards, Kirk

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
My neighbor has an old Yeasu Radio in his attic. Used to belong to his father. This thead is making me want to talk him out of it...and get a licence. Sounds kinda fun, for sure. We use 25watt VHF on the farm. It is much better than a cell phone IMHO..

I would like to be able to talk to dds when ever the urge hits....

Regards, Kirk
Go get it Kirk. I had a Yeasu FT101b back in the late 70's and it was a hoot. Had a moonraker 6 on the roof and the combination was awesome.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
That's a nice looking rig with great reviews from eham.com (4.2/5). For a rig from the '80's, it's still a sought after unit. Is yours the black face or brushed steel face?

Heading to the Cleveland Hamfest this morning just to nose around and chew the fat with folks. I mentioned yesterday on a local repeater that I was going there today just to pick up some PL259 90 degree angle adapters from Tower Electronics for an antenna I built, and one of the guys said to save my money and just meet him there and he'd give me as many as I wanted. It's nice meeting people that have been hams so long that they look forward to cleaning out their excess pieces-parts to help out the newbies like me. I'll bring him a Dunkin Donuts coffee for his kindness.
duncan doughnuts you just got to rub it in we ain't even got a mcdonnalds man i love duncan doughnuts a long timme ago they used to have one in anchorage. I forgot mine is brushed steel with blue led

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i loved the ft 101's ater talking to a fellow ham who owned one and had another one to compare it to there are certainly some short commings with them i still kind of like them as a nice vintage hybred radio even if you can't get the full 100 watts out of them