• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

-15 F and rethinking the heated cab on the tractor!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I have paths through the woods, trees that I mow right up to, etc so it makes sense for me NOT to have a heated/AC'd cab on my tractor. But its -15 degrees outside today and I'm thinking that a cab would come in really handy.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Same thing here Bob . I been talking about getting a cab for my tractor but at $6000 I stated looking at new tractors with cabs . I can sale my tractor pretty easy around here .
I am waiting for a price from 2 different Kioti Dealers for a brand new DK45TLB . This one will have the quick connect for bucket or blade on the loader . Its no fun changing over in cold weather .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Definitely recommend the quick connect, I have that on mine and its a great feature.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You guys just need what we used to use. It is called a "Heat houser" and is canvas and plexiglass and is removable. It captures the heat from the radiator air stream and chanels it back to the operators platform. Not as good as a full on cab, but it is easily removable for summer time use. Oh and the harder you work the engine the more heat you have...

They also break the wind and that in itself is a big deal. I bet tractor suppply still has them for sale. Good ones are model specific as I recall..

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did a quick web search.

Found quite a few cab companies. Curtis Cab had a nice design but didn't provide a cost estimate. It has a front windshield and top that could be left in place year around but the doors appeared to be easy to remove, also back panel that appears to be removable. That might work well for me. I like the idea of an open cab most of the year.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you want something quick and dirty (and cheap!), an ATV cabin may do the trick for you. They might make them for UTV's now for something bigger.

My Dad had one laying on a shelf. It quickly went on his tractor. Worked fine in terms of keeping blowing wind and snow off. Don't know if it really raised the temps much.

Attachments

• CIMG4917.JPG
    CIMG4917.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 47
  • CIMG4918.jpg
    CIMG4918.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 47
  • CIMG4921.JPG
    CIMG4921.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 47

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you have a marina nearby, most have a "canvas guy" that comes through with a trailer in tow where he makes covers for boats. He could probably make a custom cab for you at a reasonable(?) price.

Kane

You guys just need what we used to use. It is called a "Heat houser" and is canvas and plexiglass and is removable. It captures the heat from the radiator air stream and chanels it back to the operators platform. Not as good as a full on cab, but it is easily removable for summer time use. Oh and the harder you work the engine the more heat you have...

They also break the wind and that in itself is a big deal. I bet tractor suppply still has them for sale. Good ones are model specific as I recall..

Regards, Kirk
That's right, Kirk. What a bunch of babies. A heated CAB! Bah.

The best we ever had was a canvas shroud that forced some engine heat back around your knees. Must be the "wussification" of Amerika they keep talking about. A heated cab. In balmy Indiana?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's right, Kirk. What a bunch of babies. A heated CAB! Bah.

The best we ever had was a canvas shroud that forced some engine heat back around your knees. Must be the "wussification" of Amerika they keep talking about. A heated cab. In balmy Indiana?

Maybe this will keep me warm :whistling:

mb0gax.jpg

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
You tightwads just need to spend the money and get a tractor with a cab. Even in East Texas winters they are a Godsend and in summer .....

I work in and around trees all the time and all the glass is still intact after 6 years. You just need to be careful. The radio antenna on the other hand only lasted about 3 months before it got ripped off and the orange hazzard lights get busted and replaced all the time. Otherwise, she's still in pretty good shape.

Honestly, getting a cabbed tractor for the weather you guys work in, may be the best investment you've made in a long time.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
A tractor with a cab for the winter and really hot days during the summer. Another tractor without a cab for the rest of the time. A really simple solution.