• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Weather change

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
?

FB_IMG_1613310115801.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Nice. We're bellow our normal snowfall this year. But it's cold. Very cold. All week it's been below -30 celcius with windchills around the -40 mark. It's supposed to start warming up tomorrow though.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
You guys up north aren't the only ones. Here in East Texas it has been below freezing every morning for the past three days and the next week it is forecast to never get above freezing all day with the worst coming tonight and tomorrow when the temperature is projected, in some places, to get down to -3°F. That's almost -20°C for Northern Redneck. :LOL: There's also supposed to be between 6" and 9" of snow.

That seems like a good reason to stay home. If you've ever seen these Texans drive in snow and ice you'll know why.

It's going to be pretty serious for some as most people aren't prepared to handle that kind of temperatures and conditions in the Piney Woods.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
You guys up north aren't the only ones. Here in East Texas it has been below freezing every morning for the past three days and the next week it is forecast to never get above freezing all day with the worst coming tonight and tomorrow when the temperature is projected, in some places, to get down to -3°F. That's almost -20°C for Northern Redneck. :LOL: There's also supposed to be between 6" and 9" of snow.

That seems like a good reason to stay home. If you've ever seen these Texans drive in snow and ice you'll know why.

It's going to be pretty serious for some as most people aren't prepared to handle that kind of temperatures and conditions in the Piney Woods.
Like the pile up on I-35 in Fort Worth recently.
That was horrific.
Everyone stay safe out there.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
St louis is now in a cold snap setting somewhere around zero F every day.
Four inches of fluffy flakes yesterday. Four to six more tonite. No let up until Friday 2/19/21.

Monday is a holiday with kids at home from school. We are thinking to shut the plant down so parents can stay home and be safe.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Monday is a holiday with kids at home from school. We are thinking to shut the plant down so parents can stay home and be safe.

That might be a smart and caring thing to do Franc. A lot of businesses around here are closed on Monday anyway but have also decided to close on Tuesday as well. I suppose we just have to wait and see how bad it gets. The weather people tend to over estimate the severity of likely weather situations so that they are not accused of not preparing people if the worst does happen.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
So far..
The apartment manager guy who mows and plows has been out.
From my patio a little bit ago.
He's plowing the snow from our front parking lot into the space between our apartments.
It's REALLY coming down hard now.

20210215_175205.jpg

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We got 8" of snow last night, maybe a bit more. Hard to tell with the drifting. It was pretty light, powdery snow, it moved easily.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I was outside this morning at first light checking on our outside cat. I was told that it was -7° F. I'll take her word for it. I do know that after a while It hurt to breathe. I wasn't dressed to handle weather like that. To set people's minds to rest, our "outside" cat has been hunkered down at the back of the shop where I've been keeping it at 50° to 55° with various forms of heaters and heat lamps for the past 5 days. She has food, water and a litter box and access to the outside so there is nothing coming over her. Besides, I watched her hunt birds yesterday for almost 3 hours in 20° temperatures, just sitting there ... hiding ... waiting ... watching.

The temperature is supposed to start warming up to the low 20s today but more snow and possible freezing rain is forecast for tonight and tomorrow. That means more branches coming down, hopefully not on the power lines. The Texas grid is stretched to breaking point right now. In fact it's broken. There are millions without power.

Saturday can't come soon enough. That's when it's supposed to finally get above freezing and stay there.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Enough of that fresh white stuff. Here's a taste of summer. This was yesterday a few miles from my place. It's still very windy but we had a few smaller violent cells pass through around supper knocking down trees. Our place survived but as I drove home, trees were snapping off. Here's a screenshot of a short video a friend posted. It was nasty. We had severe thunderstorm warnings in effect along with possible tornadoes. I have a sneaking suspicion that either a tornado or wind shear hit.

Screenshot_20210525-220915_Facebook.jpg

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
PG, that's about how it is around here. It was 95° and the heat index was 104°. I tried all day to force myself to go outside and work but didn't manage it. I worked in those temperatures all last week but I think that I burned myself out. I did run in to town for top soil and potting soil that I am going to put to use tomorrow 95° or not.