• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac: playing in the corn fields

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry for the lousy photos but I used a camera phone and frankly its bad!

I went out into the mud and corn stubble today just to play around. Drove a loop of a couple miles of driving through some corn fields along a creek that runs behind my house. We had a river bank collapse from erosion and I need to get it repaired so I went out to inspect it. The collapse is about a 1/2 mile downstream. I stopped behind my house to take a walk and snapped a couple photos in back yard. I also ran over to some adjacent woodland for a drive, just for the fun of it.

In the first photo the creek, which is my West boundry line, is directly behind the tree line. In photo #2, the trees behind the rear of the Snow Trac are a rough indication of my North boundry line. Photo #3 shows the roof of my house over to the hood of the Snow Trac, it is the white stripe about 1000' back from the Snow Trac.

Attachments

• 105518569605_3300.jpg
    105518569605_3300.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 247
  • 105518834309_3300.jpg
    105518834309_3300.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 246
  • 105519054853_0_1.jpg
    105519054853_0_1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 253

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob has been asking questions lately about cameras. Based on his (apparent) green desk at his office and these blurry pics, should we take up donations to get Bob a camera? :whistle:

I'm no shutterbug by any means, so what shall we get him? I want to see his mansized ATV in action!

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
That does look like fun! Cool looking machine!:thumb: Hey Bob, how come you still have snow? All of ours is gone. All we're getting is rain.:(
:tiphat::beer:

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Bob, that looks like a wonderful toy. Great fun!!!

Where's your never-leave-it-home pocketable camera????

Actually, those pix are quite sufficient to convey how much fun you are having!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Johnday . . . The southern end of the lake got a nice storm Friday, it started as rain. North and west of me got 8 to 10 inches. We got mostly rain, which froze, then we got a snow topping. But this has been a very strange winter for us. Temps have been running 20 degrees ABOVE normal and we've had a lot of rain. Our snows started much eariler than is normal for us, then DaveNay bought a snowblower for his John Deere and its been raining since:mad:

California . . . the little Canan pocket camera goes with me when I'm with the family, but this was a solo trip. The phone went with me to call for help if I broke down! :eek:

Dargo, et al . . . The Snow Trac is very much like an antique farm tractor in its character and in how it makes me feel when I drive it. Imagine driving down the road on a modern small tractor, people basically wish you'd pull off the road so they can pass you. But drive down the road while sitting on restored Oliver, JD twin popper, AC or similar tractor and people come out to look at the machine. And even if nobody is out to look, you have a grin that runs from ear to ear on your face while operating it. Even if you are operating it out in a field alone. That is the Snow Trac feeling for me. It does the job I want done, but it has some character to it while the job is being done. I could have driven out to inspect the erosion damage in a 4x4, or I could have walked. But the Snow Trac is just fun. So fun that I actually got a new trailer last week so I could haul it up to Wisconsin/Michigan for weekends, although I doubt that will happen this season.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
North and west of me got 8 to 10 inches.

Yup. We got the 8-10 here. Finally got to use that snowblower (Sweet!). Right now it is 20 deg and almost zero visibility due to ice fog. Everything has a 1/2" layer of frost on it.....quite pretty.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave, we have fog here too, but not as bad as you do. I can see the faint outlines of the trees 1/4 mile away at the river.

I drove north yesterday afternoon/evening and was amazed at how much more snow fell up there than I have at my home. Probably 5 to 7 inches more snow only 10 miles away. Too bad we've been getting more rain than snow this year. My warehouse is sitting on a couple semi-trailer loads of windshield solvent that nobody wants to buy! In a normal winter we can sell through 2 or 3 semi-loads of solvent in a week. This is a bad winter.