• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Reclaiming the property from winter, cutting grass with the tractor for days, its a love hate thing with all of the trees. It takes about a week of 4 hours a day and if you don't time it right you get to do it twice. I am about 3/4 done. Then the yard around the house. I am ripping out a lot of old overgrown shrubs and starting over. Tomorrow me and a buddy are going make the cabin trip play around a little and hook the spring back to the water tank.
How many acres are you doing that it takes so long? I used to despise all our trees and I'd cringe when the wife wanted to add more. Now I'm the one adding the trees cause they are no problem with our ZTR. Get you a Scag or Kubota ZTR and you will be a happy camper and get done in half the time I'd bet.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'd been messing with the Jacobsen for a few days trying to get it going. The battery showed a full charge but wouldn't crank it over. All systems checked out ok so I thought I'd try a different battery. I temporarily borrowed one from the boat. It's too big to sit in the battery box but I still hooked it up and she fired right up. So I hooked up the lawn sweeper and did a full pass to stir the soil and grass. Now to source out a battery for both the lawn tractor and one of the quads.
a3d198a0bea510109880ae4dd192df1c.jpg

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
How many acres are you doing that it takes so long? I used to despise all our trees and I'd cringe when the wife wanted to add more. Now I'm the one adding the trees cause they are no problem with our ZTR. Get you a Scag or Kubota ZTR and you will be a happy camper and get done in half the time I'd bet.

Its 7 acres of trees and some hill in spots, there are a lot of trees. On the other side of the house there is a woods that I have the shooting berm set up in front of it, because I guarantee that if you shoot in one side it will not come out of the other, its about 2 acres of the property. I am mowing it down with a 1953 ford Jubilee and a brush hog. This year right out of the gate the fan belt broke so I have been using some snap together belt I had from a conveyor job because the hydraulic drive needs to come apart to do it. Works ok in a pinch but it stretches and needs to be retightened every couple of hours. The property has a lot of ruts,rocks and tree branches that fall off over the winter. That old ford is slow but it doesn't brake down often and when it does is something simple.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Went to Sam's club today. Looking for beef to put in the freezer.
LIMIT ONE PACKAGE on all meats. One Pork, one chicken, one beef. But they had no chicken.

So, I talked to one of my employees who has a beef ranch in the Ozarks, and bought the 1/4 of a show cow she had left. Grain fed and babied for the State Fair, which has been cancelled, It is ESDA choice or Prime. I get it next week @$3.00 per pound.

Whilst at Sam's we decided to buy three pavilion kits to be joined together as one big pavilion at our Ranch. Each is 12'X10'. Could not buy them today as they are on the non essential list. Hope I don't miss out as they are $1,500 each so we get the structure up for $4,500,00 I have to add 12'X16" to our existing deck at about $1,500. So altogether about $6K for the whole enchilada.
I don't think I could scratch build it for that.

This picture is the closest I could find. It is shown with the shingles option.
Rough-Cut-Cedar-Gable-Ramada-A.jpg

We will be going for the metal roof.
The posts will be 6X6

More later if we get them.

Bannedjoe

Ta-da!

It popped right in.:clap:
I only had to rip (1) 2x4 down to an inch for fill.

The only thing janky about this whole thing is the screen door.
But I'm not surprised, the reviews eluded to such.

Attachments

• IMG_2337.JPG
    IMG_2337.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2336.JPG
    IMG_2336.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 84

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Ta-da!

It popped right in.:clap:
I only had to rip (1) 2x4 down to an inch for fill.

The only thing janky about this whole thing is the screen door.
But I'm not surprised, the reviews eluded to such.

Hey Joe, you have electricity from the pole way out there or are you making your own?

Bannedjoe

Hey Joe, you have electricity from the pole way out there or are you making your own?

Not a pole for miles.
We're 100% off grid. Have been since '95.
Solar.
We have a slew of generators ranging from 2800 watts up to 35K. From gas to propane, but we seldom use them.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Not a pole for miles.
We're 100% off grid. Have been since '95.
Solar.
We have a slew of generators ranging from 2800 watts up to 35K. From gas to propane, but we seldom use them.

My cabin is 4 miles off grid, so far I have a 7kw battery pack from Nissan Leaf, a 10kw inverter and 6kw diesel generator. I plan to add more battery and solar this year if I have enough time before winter comes again. I think with 21kw battery pack, 6- 400 watt panels should keep me from having to run the generator much.

Bannedjoe

My cabin is 4 miles off grid, so far I have a 7kw battery pack from Nissan Leaf, a 10kw inverter and 6kw diesel generator. I plan to add more battery and solar this year if I have enough time before winter comes again. I think with 21kw battery pack, 6- 400 watt panels should keep me from having to run the generator much.

It sounds like you're in pretty good shape.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I didn't do much yesterday. We had more bad storms overnight with amazing lightening, rain and small hail. It was too wet to get back to what I was doing. I did a couple of piddling things but generally it was a goof off day.

I need to get back to filling in the holes left by the root balls of the trees that I lost. I also need to get all the fence that was blown over picked up and stacked someplace. Then it is back to mowing.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It's a bright sunny day. Kind of getting 3 seasons in a 24 hour period though. Temperature was at the freezing mark this morning. So pants and a jacket. Now it's 19 above. I've now changed from jeans this morning to work pants when I got back at 10 to shorts this afternoon.

Up and off to the city first thing to attempt to avoid the line ups at Walmart to pick up a couple of batteries for the atv and lawn tractor. They only opened at 8 and by the time I got there, approximately 200 people were already standing in line waiting to get in. F that! I barely slowed down in the parking lot. Over to home depot to pick up a couple sheets of treated plywood I had preordered then over to an auto parts store that is still open for curbside delivery for batteries. I paid maybe $15 more than Walmart but as they say, time is money. No standing in line for 2 hours waiting.

Home to do some work outside. New batteries installed. Started tearing into the trailer to install a new deck. Back to the city again this afternoon to pick up a cheque for the house sale. Kinda bitter sweet. I've owned it since 99. Just paid it off.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I didn't do much yesterday. We had more bad storms overnight with amazing lightening, rain and small hail. It was too wet to get back to what I was doing. I did a couple of piddling things but generally it was a goof off day.

I need to get back to filling in the holes left by the root balls of the trees that I lost. I also need to get all the fence that was blown over picked up and stacked someplace. Then it is back to mowing.

In the end I goofed off all day. It was beautiful. I got my book and sat outside in the sun reading. I drank a beer and just generally kicked back. Screw it! There's always tomorrow. :clap::clap::clap:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Is it the weekend yet??
Got an early morning text from Superman this morning.
"Mom, I just got released from Promedica".
Me: what??? Oh baby what's wrong?

He swallowed a wasp in his sleep!
Woke up coughing and choking.
Granddaughter called 911.
The damn thing was still lodged in his throat.
Only my kids I'm tellin' ya.

:yum:

received_1112343739117924.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Trip to the city this morning to take care of some banking. Then home to work on the snowmobile trailer I picked up last week. It now has a new deck. The salt shield was mangled on the driver's side from a collision with a previous owner so I'm straightening it out. Lots of beating and banging with hammers.

It's a beautiful 22 celcius right now. This morning it was -3. Tis the season.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
As little as possible.

[emoji2]
What she said!

I do have to go in later to play music at the church for the online livestream 5pm service. Other than that, it's a lazy inside day with the heat on my back. I'm hurting. It's raining. Yawn.

Side note.....this whole "shop online, curbside pickup " thing is getting old quick and is generally frustrating the hell out of me. I ordered a couple sheets of plywood from home depot and a box of screws from Canadian tire. The stores are right beside each other. Home depot pick up was ready the following day. Canadian tire...5 days later I said F it and canceled my order. The only reason I didn't just order everything from home depot is they only sell the screws I needed in pkgs of 5 and I needed a box of 100. So that's my rant for the day.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Probably some work around the house, probably getting another load of mulch, definitely going for a motorcycle ride.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
This is funny.
Ty is having problems with his lawn tractor, so he decided to mow with the 1951 gas powered reel mower.
All of his property.
He said there is no way to slow it down.
It kicked his ass lol

20200502_095140.jpg

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I did go grocery shopping.
Then took a long, long walk (81° today).
Now I can relax and get on with the evening.

Oh look, some Stella jumped in my cart.
:tongue:

20200502_152450-768x768.jpg

Bannedjoe

Between my wife and I, and a guy I hire occasionally, we done dug a ditch.
I'm placing 4 inch conduit that will run water electricity and propane into the new building.
Of course each will have its own casing.
I'm thinking about trying out this (new to me) fancy pants Pex stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_2342.JPG
    IMG_2342.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2345.JPG
    IMG_2345.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2344.JPG
    IMG_2344.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 59

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Joe's out there digging ditches and I'm sitting here drinking Stella Artois on a Saturday night.
Aaaand not even going on Facebook..
Yet!
Too much covid crap no matter where you look.
Aside from peeping in on the sons postings and watching that goofy woman who I can't decide is sane or crazy following Q-anon.
Think I'll crack open another.
Haven't had adult beverages like this in a long time.
After all the hours I've been working, I'm entitled.

Say "yes you are, Loralei"
:smileywac :yum:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Between my wife and I, and a guy I hire occasionally, we done dug a ditch.
I'm placing 4 inch conduit that will run water electricity and propane into the new building.
Of course each will have its own casing.
I'm thinking about trying out this (new to me) fancy pants Pex stuff.

Joe, when I built our barn I ran 1” black poly pipe to the barn and several locations for water troughs. Little deeper then yours about 4’ this was in northern Virginia.

Bannedjoe

Joe, when I built our barn I ran 1” black poly pipe to the barn and several locations for water troughs. Little deeper then yours about 4’ this was in northern Virginia.

We don't have the frostline like you and others.
At 4 feet, the only thing considerable would be a ditchwitch.

They have them for rent at the homedope, but I couldn't quite justify the cost, or yet another trip to town.

Tonight my body is sore, and my brain hurts.
My body from digging and crouching, my brain from the wife.

She does stupid little things lately, that are no big deal, such as starting the coffee machine, but forgetting to put the pot under it.
They aren't major, yet, but they are getting somewhat more frequent, and a bit costlier.

Yesterday she went to town for her monthly meds, and a few of them are crucial. Like flat on her back without them crucial.
Fortunately we get a little help from the state, but one of her monthly meds is an injection that runs $900 a month.

Today was burn day for the trash in the fire pit.

She brought hers out from her office area and threw it in.

Guess what?

She tossed in her new bag of meds.

This will prove interesting come Monday morning when she has to explain her brain fart to the pharmacist.
Arrrgh.:yuk:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Your story about the meds going in the fire reminded me of an incident at camp last fall.
It was my buddy's birthday and we were all sitting around the fire at another friend's when his wife comes out with two garbage bags in her hands. One she threw on the fire to burn. The other was set aside for later. So later comes and out comes a cake so we all sing. Then she hands him the bag that she set aside earlier. He opens it up and it was full of garbage. The one she threw on the fire had his gift in it. Apparently it was a $100 sweater, some pants and some fishing tackle. Lmao.

So we absolutely love the country and waking up each morning hearing the birds singing. For the past 3 days though as soon as the sun rises, there's a psychotic bird that thinks it's funny to keep pecking at our bedroom window. The little bugger is bound and determined to get in through the glass. This goes on for hours.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Happy 35th Anniversary to the lovely Mrs_Bob

Not that we have any real plans today to celebrate. Probably going to mow the grass, probably going to get another pick up load of mulch, probably going to go for a motorcycle ride. Freezer diving for a "special" dinner tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.