• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

want to buy a first harley Davidson!

love705

hey everyone i am seriously considering buying a first harley! so we all know why i want one but is there anything negative i should know before getting one? also any recommendations? money is not really a issue ... thanks!
today i ride a ducati monster so this is a change i guess:biggrin:...

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
One of my part time jobs in HS was working in a Harley shop in the mid sixties. I love them, but I have also owned jap bikes as well.

If I were so inclined to get another bike, which I am not, I would buy a Harley VROD Muscle. I think that Porsche engine is awesome.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've owned Harley's since 78, during the AMF years :)doh:) through today. I currently own two, a 12' Ultra Limited shaved down to look like a Street Glide with more bells and whistles and an 07' Fatboy.

bike sig.jpg

Without knowing your experience and physical stature it would be impossible to recommend anything. New or used? ........... I could help with most of the model twerks through the years. Unlike TR, if it's gonna be a Harley, it wouldn't be a Vrod. It would be nice until the fun wore off, it ain't fun to ride long distance and the resale is the worst of the Harleys. And the resale is one of the nice things about HD.

I've always had a Big Twin, I'm just too big a guy to be seen on a Sportster. The Big Twin starter is the Dyna (old Super Glide), it has the big motor, has plenty get up and go, and rides nice but eventually on a longer rides the vibrations become more noticeable. If you want a good all around bike that cruises but still light enough to have some jump in it's shorts it would be a Softail model. It has the hardtail look (with hidden rear suspension) and is very popular model (see the Fatboy above).

My pick has been the touring bike since 86'. I like the FLH front end (big/wide) with the larger tires for stability. There is nothing like the ride and features it offers. Heavy, smooth ride, swingarm w/shock absorber rear suspension, footboards, heal/toe shifter, saddle bags, fairing with stereo/CD/BT, cruise control, 6 gallon tank, and comfort! See pumpkin above .................

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
At the risk of Big Dog banning me from his world. There are many great bikes made today. I've ridden Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Harley. If I was looking today I would also look at Victory. I have several friends who ride and speak highly of them. Ride what fits and feels right. Forty-five years of riding under my belt. Including a memorable one with Dawg.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
At the risk of Big Dog banning me from his world. There are many great bikes made today. I've ridden Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Harley. If I was looking today I would also look at Victory. I have several friends who ride and speak highly of them. Ride what fits and feels right. Forty-five years of riding under my belt. Including a memorable one with Dawg.

Hey brother how's it going?

Actually I have looked at the Victory pretty close. Haven't ridden one but I'm sure it would have no effect on my decision, geez I ride a slow touring Harley for Christ sake, I have no need to go 0 to dead in 6 seconds. My issue is cosmetics and build quality in their tourers. Lot's of plastic (almost 100# lighter than a HD), lots of ugly sharp lines (the lower fairings are just FU'ed up) and just not the build quality IMO as a HD. Look at the turn signals on the Victory, I mean it ain't a spaceship!

Victory

cross-country-tour-gloss-black.png
vision-gloss-black.png

Harley

2015 FLHTK PEACE OFFICER BLACK (1).jpg
revealVideo2.png

You pick ..... BTW, HD is bringing out the Road Glide Limited this year that will have tour pak and passenger backrest.

I won't even consider a Indian, their styling is absurd. Now if I was a smaller guy the Scout is very attractive both price and style!