• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

THIOKOL 1404 GROUSERS

MASI95

I HAVE A THIOKOL 1404 SER#375. I JUST REPLACED ALL 4 BELTS. ALL GROUSER WERE STRAITENED AND THE BOLTS WERE REPLACED. A LOT OF TIME AND MONEY SO FAR. HERE IS THE PROBLEM, I KEEP BREAKING AND OR BENDING GROUSERS. SOME GROUSERS HAVE BEEN PATCHED AND OR STRAITENED MORE THAN ONCE. I ONLY USE THIS CAT ON SNOW. IT IS A 18 MILE ROUND TRIP, ON A SOMETIMES GROOMED TRAIL, TO MY CABIN. I AM WORRIED THAT I WILL TEAR UP MY NEW BELTS. I HAVE CONTACTED ALL COMPANIES I KNOW TO GET REPLACEMENT GROUSERS, ALL ARE OUT AND TELLING ME NO ONE MAKES THEM. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS. CAN I CHANGE TO A DIFFERENT STYLE GROUSER THAT WILL FIT THE HOLE PATTERN PUNCHED INTO THE NEW BELTS. IN A PERFECT WORLD I WOULD LIKE TO REPLACE ALL THE GROUSERS WITH NEW MATERIAL. I WOULD ASSUME AFTER ALL THESE YEARS AND ALL THE OBVIOUS REPAIRS THAT THE METAL HAS WEAKENED AND THINED. I DONT MIND WORKING ON THE THING ONCE AND A WHILE BUT I NEED IT TO BE RELIABLE. AFTER ARRIVING AT MY CABIN TODAY I REPAIRED 3 GROUSERS AND FOUND 2 I DID NOT HAVE THE TOOLS TO ADDRESS. I TOWED IT BACK TO THE TRAILHEAD, WHEN THERE I FOUND 2 ADDITIONAL BROKEN GROUSERS. AS OF TODAY IT WILL BE OFF THE TRAIL TILL I CAN FIND A SOLUTION. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Talk to Boggie on the forums here. He Has an Aluminum Grouser that would work well I bet. Mike

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Sounds to me that you are running the track tension way too tight. Imps need floppy sloppy loose looking tracks as the cleats are fairly light duty. If run at the proper adjustment and your cleats are good you should not be having that many broken ones in snow...... I have owned 3 Imps and have run the tracks on all 3 somewhat loose looking and I never had that many broken cleats....

Now the wheel guides on an Imp are a continual battle to keep tight but that goes with the model. Just check each year prior to use, tighten up the loose ones, replace any bad bolts and make sure they do not loosen up and fall off by checking them periodically as you use the cat thru the season.

Post some pics so we can see the track tension......