• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What trees are these?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have some trees that I simply have not been able to identify on my property. I didn't plant them, and given the former use of much of my property, I would say that nobody planted these trees, they just grew here as natives.

Can someone help identify the following trees?

Tree #1
1st photo shows form
2nd photo shows leaf & flower detail
Tree is only found on the slopes among other trees.

Attachments

• Tree1.jpg
    Tree1.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 83
  • tree1detail1.jpg
    tree1detail1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 82

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tree #2, also found only in the wooded areas of the property with no single specimine found alone.

Attachments

• tree2.jpg
    tree2.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 78
  • tree2detail1.jpg
    tree2detail1.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 81

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tree #3 is a small tree, somewhat silver grey green leafed. It is covered with small white flowers, again found only in the wooded sloped areas of the property.

Attachments

• tree3.jpg
    tree3.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 82
  • tree3detail.jpg
    tree3detail.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 80

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,

Can you take pics of the bark when you can?

Also, are there sprouts or little trees growing out of the roots of the big tree?

The 3rd tree looks like a pear tree. When they get big, they don't produce fruit.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian, I don't have pictures but here is a basic description of each:

Tree #1 has fairly smooth bark and branches that are reasonably straight. The branches are also flexible. New trees do not sucker up from the base, but grow from dropped fruit that develops after the flowering.

Tree #2 has moderately rough bark, the branches are gnarled. No suckering around the base.

Tree #3 has moderately smooth and reasonably straight branches. This is a small tree, perhaps no more than 15' to 18' tall. Honestly no idea if it suckers around the base, its surrounded by thorny bushes and scrub brush.

BoneheadNW

Bob-

Not knowing what size these things are I would say that tree 1 is or related to English Laural (does it have a nice grape-like smell?) and tree number 2 looks like Ocean Spray (very prevalent here in the woods).
Bonehead

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
#1 is a cherry...likely pin cherry.

#3 looks like honeysuckle. Are you familiar with honeysuckle or do you have a book to look up trees and shrubs in ?
Don't know the other off hand but i might figure it out later ;)

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, on tree #2, what colour are the leaves in the fall? I think Pixie is right on with #1 and #3.:tiphat::beer::beer:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pixie . . . after searching the web I think you are correct on both 1 and 3.

I've never heard of a pin cherry before, but I have a bunch of them scattered about the property. I matched it up with some photos I found on the internet and they looked like a perfect match.

As for #3, I didn't realize that honeysuckle was found in tree form in this area, but according to an internet site they are found in this area. The tree in my yard looks similar to the 'amur honeysuckle' that is supposed to be native to this area.

Johnday . . . I think the leaves of #2 turn yellow in the fall, but I can't remember for sure.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, could tree #2 be sassafras? If I remember right, if you bruise a leaf or strip the bark off a twig, it'll smell like rootbeer. Just a WAG really, but the leaves look familar. Go to the Forestry Forum, those guys know their doodoo when it comes to the woods.The Forestry Forum :tiphat::beer::beer:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
John tree #2 can't be Sassafras, the Sassafras trees have a 3 lobed smooth edge leaf. My mystery tree is a jagged edged leaf without the very distinctive incised lobes of the Sassafras.

If it helps any, the branches of tree #2 seem to die off. They also seem more brittle and less flexible than many other varieties.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
#2 looks similar to big tooth aspen but the flowers don't seem right for the description i read "catkins"

It also reminds me of grape vines but those leaves are a little bigger and sort of 3 lobed as well as toothed.

Guess you know where i spend most of my internet time ;) :D

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pixie, we have grapes everywhere here!!! They are a problem, plus I have a grape arbor with cultivated grapes. Tree #2 is not a tree with an overgrown grape vine. But the leaves are similar.

We don't have Aspen trees native to this area that I know of, but we have plenty of their relatives like poplar an birch. The leaves of this tree are nearly as wide as they are long and the sawtooth edge is very pronouced while most of the aspen-like trees I know of have more of a fine-sawtooth edge.

You've been right 2 out of 3 so I guess I need to do some research on the big tooth aspen varieties!

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm just guessing at #2 from 'leafing' thru the pages of a Audobon tree book. The others, I'm familiar with.

As i said, the flowers aren't right for big tooth aspen .

tree guy

number one is a cherry, 3 almost looks like iron wood but i cant see the bark, i am just guessing by the leaves ?
2 i cant tell could be aspen of some sort
chris