• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My daughter is the Valedictorian of her high school!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
We're having a pool party for her this Friday along with having the party here for some of her friends as well. Should be a big party with a hundred or two people. :clap:

Bad news; my wife just told me this yesterday. :unsure: I haven't even opened the pool yet let alone done the required spring cleaning around the pool area and wrap around porch. That's besides getting the pool house cleaned and decorated, the lawn mowed....um. Gotta go!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations!!!! ........................ and you could always hire a pool boy for the wife ................ :whistling:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE DARGO FAMILY!!!!

What time should we arrive on Friday?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats to your daughter!!!!! :tiphat: :dancing: :dancing:

Hope the party goes well. :thumb:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
We're having a pool party for her this Friday along with having the party here for some of her friends as well. Should be a big party with a hundred or two people. :clap:

Bad news; my wife just told me this yesterday. :unsure: I haven't even opened the pool yet let alone done the required spring cleaning around the pool area and wrap around porch. That's besides getting the pool house cleaned and decorated, the lawn mowed....um. Gotta go!

Brent,

Congratulations. Be dam proud and don't hold back. :dancing::dancing:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Congratulations!!!! ........................ and you could always hire a pool boy for the wife ................ :whistling:

Wow Big Dog - nice of you to offer to work for Dargo. Brent, I think your safe - I heard Big Dog always wears a thong when he works on pools. :eek:

Congrats Dargo! 100 teenagers at your house - lock up your toys and stay vigilant! ;)

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations to you and your daughter!

That's an achievement to be proud of! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow Big Dog - nice of you to offer to work for Dargo. Brent, I think your safe - I heard Big Dog always wears a thong when he works on pools. :eek:

You are a very sick man ................... :wink:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks very much for the kind comments. This is my happy place. I am very proud. Heck, I'm just as happy that she got my wife's looks as well as her smarts.

Hopefully her new car, as promised for being valedictorian, will be here Wednesday. That will be great. It will also help keep my younger daughter's eyes on the prize. Both of my younger daughters also have 4.0 GPA's. Unfortunately, my middle daughter got my looks, temper and attitude. :sad: How do you get a 4.0 GPA with bad conduct marks in nearly every class. And, of all daughters for my wife to enroll in Karate. She's a 2nd degree black belt now. That with her bad attitude may not work out so well one of these days.

Anyway, I'm very, very happy and most likely overly proud. Sorry to brag, but this is the happy place, right? :flowers::flowers::clap:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Brent, I'm sure the extra work your wife is heaping on your for this party will be accomplished with a smile on your face!!!

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Congrats Brent! That's awesome....

And PB beat me to the Comment about Big Dog the Pool Boy...

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Brent, I'm sure the extra work your wife is heaping on your for this party will be accomplished with a smile on your face!!!

We get a bunch of bikini clad 18 and 19 year olds here for a couple of days in the pool she may want me to close the pool again. :yum: I mean, c'mon, how many times can she tell me "no" each night? :ermm:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations to your daughter Dargo.

Thank you Joe. I really appreciate the compliment. She worked far harder than I ever did. I think you can believe me on that one too. :smile::flowers:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
My oldest son was for his high school graduation but that was a lot of years ago. He is pushing 46 now. His oldest graduated two years ago and one due to graduate in another week. His last about 2 more years for him.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
My oldest son was for his high school graduation but that was a lot of years ago. He is pushing 46 now. His oldest graduated two years ago and one due to graduate in another week. His last about 2 more years for him.

That's fantastic Joe. Honestly, the only thing I can even remotely fancy myself with is that I graduated from a very difficult college with a far higher GPA than I had in high school. I'll leave you to come up with the reasons for that. Other than cheating, you'd probably be correct in most of your guesses. :wink:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
We get a bunch of bikini clad 18 and 19 year olds here for a couple of days in the pool she may want me to close the pool again. :yum: I mean, c'mon, how many times can she tell me "no" each night? :ermm:

Congratulations to both you and your daughter! You all have reason aplenty to be proud!!:clap::clap:

Now, about those bikini clad girls:whistling: ... remember, looking is OK, touching is verboten!!:hammer: Pictures would be OK too, as long as you remember your poor, suffering friends at FF.:brows::smile::biggrin:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats to all. They grow up and leave all too soon. Enjoy it while you cuss about getting things ready!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

Congratulations to both you and your daughter! You all have reason aplenty to be proud!!:clap::clap:

Now, about those bikini clad girls:whistling: ... remember, looking is OK, touching is verboten!!:hammer: Pictures would be OK too, as long as you remember your poor, suffering friends at FF.:brows::smile::biggrin:

Affirmative sir. How about a high definition "pan, tilt, zoom" security camera covering the pool area so I can make sure everyone is safe while I work? :wink:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Affirmative sir. How about a high definition "pan, tilt, zoom" security camera covering the pool area so I can make sure everyone is safe while I work? :wink:
We want streaming video sent here to the forum. :whistling::clap::w00t2::brows:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I want dibs on the camera controls ............. :whistling:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
After a 3 hour awards presentation last night, I do have to admit that I am a bit disappointed. Since as long as I can remember, a class valedictorian always had a standing scholarship offer to attend, free of charge, any state college. Apparently, this program was disposed of last year. :hammer:

Of the nearly half dozen graduating students who had a 4.0 GPA, my daughter had the highest SAT/ACT scores, the participated in the most sports, was the team captain on two teams, personally ran 3 public service programs which were wildly successful and literally did score out as #1 of the 4.0 students. That did make me proud, obviously.

However, as to not diminish the success of the other 4.0 students, none of this was mentioned. That seemed almost too much like a "T" ball team where they don't keep score, whatever. The part that got to me was how scholarships were handed out. Every single free ride scholarship awarded went to students with GPA's between 3.1 and 3.6 who all had lower SAT or ACT scores than my daughter and were not involved in as many community or school activities. I don't get it.

I'm still every bit as proud of my daughter as before. However, it sent a resounding message to the underclass students there that there was no need to work as hard to try to attain a perfect 4.0 GPA. The 'payout' was higher for students with lower averages. They did have 4 full ride scholarships for Latino students and 10 full ride scholarships for African American students. Isn't that racism? I knew several of the recipients and were happy for them, but it still rang loudly of impropriety.

My daughter's scholarships consisted of a $2000 scholarship for winning a competition in medical terminology and testing for students planning on a career in the medical field and an $8000 total scholarship (2k per year) for being a valedictorian going to IU. I do believe 2k of that was due to her having the highest SAT/ACT scores. Other valedictorians going to IU only received 6k total scholarship money. I know one family who may not be able to afford to send their child to IU because she didn't receive enough scholarship money.

This is more of a surprised observation than complaint. I have been used to seeing the brightest students competing fiercely to be on top to gain entrance to the best colleges and win scholarships. Not one single student, valedictorian or not, was accepted into Princeton, Harvard, Yale or even Duke. I'm fortunate enough to be able to take care of my daughter. Other students had their dreams shattered by this "new criteria" for admittance and scholarships. This is really sad for them and concerns me as to what type of physicians and attorneys our colleges will be turning out in the next 5 to 10 years. I'm glad my daughter who will be a junior next year didn't attend. She is carrying a 4.0 GPA as well along with doing all of the extra curricular work as traditionally weighed in considering acceptance into elite colleges. She plans to be an attorney. I'm still going to bribe her with money for 4.0 report cards and a brand new car if she graduates tops in her class.

I haven't figured out this 'new' system yet, but topically it seems unfair and there was a surprising amount of loud grumbling and "what the hell" comments from the audience. I wonder if other high schools had similar rewards ceremonies. The parents who rode with us and sat next to us were crushed and are going to start today to find out how much they can get on a home equity loan for their daughter besides having their daughter apply for all the student loans she can get.

*edit* My wife just called me and we are to go back to the school this morning for more of an explanation of how scholarships etc. were chosen. I'm not really sure I want to go. Nothing is going to change, but they must have been bombarded with parents like the ones who rode with us. :unsure:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
After a 3 hour awards presentation last night, I do have to admit that I am a bit disappointed. Since as long as I can remember, a class valedictorian always had a standing scholarship offer to attend, free of charge, any state college. Apparently, this program was disposed of last year. :hammer:

Of the nearly half dozen graduating students who had a 4.0 GPA, my daughter had the highest SAT/ACT scores, the participated in the most sports, was the team captain on two teams, personally ran 3 public service programs which were wildly successful and literally did score out as #1 of the 4.0 students. That did make me proud, obviously.

However, as to not diminish the success of the other 4.0 students, none of this was mentioned. That seemed almost too much like a "T" ball team where they don't keep score, whatever. The part that got to me was how scholarships were handed out. Every single free ride scholarship awarded went to students with GPA's between 3.1 and 3.6 who all had lower SAT or ACT scores than my daughter and were not involved in as many community or school activities. I don't get it.

I'm still every bit as proud of my daughter as before. However, it sent a resounding message to the underclass students there that there was no need to work as hard to try to attain a perfect 4.0 GPA. The 'payout' was higher for students with lower averages. They did have 4 full ride scholarships for Latino students and 10 full ride scholarships for African American students. Isn't that racism? I knew several of the recipients and were happy for them, but it still rang loudly of impropriety.

My daughter's scholarships consisted of a $2000 scholarship for winning a competition in medical terminology and testing for students planning on a career in the medical field and an $8000 total scholarship (2k per year) for being a valedictorian going to IU. I do believe 2k of that was due to her having the highest SAT/ACT scores. Other valedictorians going to IU only received 6k total scholarship money. I know one family who may not be able to afford to send their child to IU because she didn't receive enough scholarship money.

This is more of a surprised observation than complaint. I have been used to seeing the brightest students competing fiercely to be on top to gain entrance to the best colleges and win scholarships. Not one single student, valedictorian or not, was accepted into Princeton, Harvard, Yale or even Duke. I'm fortunate enough to be able to take care of my daughter. Other students had their dreams shattered by this "new criteria" for admittance and scholarships. This is really sad for them and concerns me as to what type of physicians and attorneys our colleges will be turning out in the next 5 to 10 years. I'm glad my daughter who will be a junior next year didn't attend. She is carrying a 4.0 GPA as well along with doing all of the extra curricular work as traditionally weighed in considering acceptance into elite colleges. She plans to be an attorney. I'm still going to bribe her with money for 4.0 report cards and a brand new car if she graduates tops in her class.

I haven't figured out this 'new' system yet, but topically it seems unfair and there was a surprising amount of loud grumbling and "what the hell" comments from the audience. I wonder if other high schools had similar rewards ceremonies. The parents who rode with us and sat next to us were crushed and are going to start today to find out how much they can get on a home equity loan for their daughter besides having their daughter apply for all the student loans she can get.

*edit* My wife just called me and we are to go back to the school this morning for more of an explanation of how scholarships etc. were chosen. I'm not really sure I want to go. Nothing is going to change, but they must have been bombarded with parents like the ones who rode with us. :unsure:

It's the everyone gets to play, there are no outs and no score mentality. Brent, your daughter did great and there is still time for something to come in before her fall semester starts...... I now wish for the other "academics" to get some help.

I know what it takes to put kids through school with no help and I did what I had to do.

Smile brother .... :smile: ........ YOUR work and HER work will make it possible for a fantastic future for her!!!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That really sucks Brent.

A friend of mine has a daughter who also came in top of her class. She did receive a full scholarship from a local, State University. Not a word (or even a reply to her applications) from any Ivy League schools.

Can Big Dog still run the cameras... as I'm sure we all trust his judgment. :clap: Can you stream it to the forum? :hide:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Gotta get cameras today. :biggrin:

Wondering how these 'special' scholarship students will do in college? I witnessed certain students getting grades they didn't deserve, but there are too many in that category now. Time will tell...