• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What the heck is it with moles this year?!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never had any issue with moles in the past, now I have serious issues. Being that I now have to once again hook up my invisible fence, I had to walk all around my yard to find where I broke the wire. In doing so, I noticed what appears to be thousands of mole runs!!! :mad: Most people say to trap them, but sonofabitch, I'd have to buy a semi load of traps from the looks of things! Help!! How can I exterminate these peckers?!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
How can I exterminate these peckers?!
What, you've never seen the end of Caddyshack? :eek: That solution works nicely. :rolleyes:

Kidding aside, check out this site.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Only one thing I've seen gives you the feeling of gratification:

http://www.rodenator.com/

Check out their videos - very cool.

Probably could make one yourself if you were creative and like playing with explosive things - come to think of it - Dargo this just might be for you!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
In my experience the castor oil is only temporary. I've got a neighbor that seems to love his moles, he has about 2 acres of mole holes in his pasture and won't do anything about them. Of course, they always try to come over to my place so it's an ongoing battle.

Castor Oil keeps them away for a while. Lots of dolomite lime seems to work during the rainy seasons too (and its good for the lawn). I planted some Gopher Purge that may actually be working a little. Traps work best but my heart yearns for a Rodenator.

The www.themoleman.com web site mentioned above is a very good site.

Archdean

Try a cat perhaps several cats!!:D

gassing/traps/etc. good hype for the manufactures..

Cat's work for nothing short of eliminating hunger, their own!!!

Short of all of that advice Eliminate the Grub population that your harboring by using copious amounts of Diazion, if you can find it any more!!

Moles feed on grubs, no grubs = no moles!!!!!:a1:

Dean

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Tried Diazion - didn't work. I've tried everything and have come to the conclusion that the chemicals just cost too much to work for a decent sized lawn. If you're talking a small area then go with castor oil. It does keep them away but you have to keep re-applying it.

Almost daily, I walk around with a small rake and just knock down the holes as they pop up. It's probably the easiest thing to do in the pasture areas and gives me something to do while the dogs are snooping and pooping.

If a mole trespasses near my nice lawn then the traps come out. I've actually dispatched two by waiting for ground movement in the evening and digging them out. I had a hose handy for one so I was able to flush it out with some water.

Moles and Deer - my number one enemy around here!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Aww man! I don't think I can buy enough traps. I think I literally have a thousand runs over about 12 acres or so of lawn. These guys are making me want to say really bad words about now! :mad: I'd have to buy so many mole traps that my lawn would look like a steel shag carpet! :(

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo, I don't recall the name of it, but there is a chemical you can spray down over the lawn. It connects to a hose and you simply spray it out. Given the size of the property, you might want to start at the house and fan out away from it a little bit at a time. The moles will continue to be driven away farther and farther from your home. I think I bought it last year or the year before at the Sears Hardware store.

BadAttitude

I used to have major mole problems, but after a couple years of using Dursband(sp?)...those digusting looking things are history. Unfortunately Dursband has been banned, so now I use Triazicide with continued success. As someone already said, get rid of the grubs and you'll be rid of the moles.

freebird

Dig the holes open, run water in them untill they all are flowing out. Attach a flexible pipe to your rider mower exhaust. Poke the other end in the hole and loosely fill dirt around it Wait till smoke comes out all the holes. Worked great for me.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
freebird said:
Dig the holes open, run water in them untill they all are flowing out. Attach a flexible pipe to your rider mower exhaust. Poke the other end in the hole and loosely fill dirt around it Wait till smoke comes out all the holes. Worked great for me.

I wonder if that'd work with diesel? I don't have any gas powered units anymore.

It's interesting that you replied to this today. I was just out walking around the yard and I noticed that the little bastards have been working double time in my yard! :mad: I don't know where to start when I literally have several acres with the damn mushy hills everywhere. I'm REALLY beginning to dislike those underground mice on steroids!