• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The Weather Channel (T.V.) *&^#$^*&% SUCKS!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
The Weather Channel ahs been getting worse and worse for the last year.

Last night I went to bed a little before 11CDT. I turned on the TV in the bedroom to check the weather because I had heard about a little snow heading into the area.

Damn...it's 10:54 and that stupid Storm Stories show is on.

At 10:59 they flip through a very quick national radar.

Commercials

At 11:02 they return to the studio and mention some flurries in Buffalo NY, and some snow in the midwest. But first they go to Jim Cantore in Biloxi MS.

Jim Cantore spends 10 minuted interviewing hurricane Katrina survivors and how bad their property got dammaged.

*CLICK*

*zzzzzzzzz*

Why can't the Weather Channel show me the technical weather, and not all these stories and crap? All I want is the weather from them.

(And be fore someone mentions it, they redesigned their website about a year ago, and it is just as crappy.)

:(

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know what you mean Dave. I had the same issues with them, they rarely show the weather for the midwest when I want to see it. I'm on Direct TV and do not pick up any local stations, so TV weather forecasts are out for me.

I've converted over to www.intellicast.com for national and local weather. If bad weather is predicted I'll compare a few of the weather sites. The internet rocks for weather reports when and where you need them. To bad they don't set up interactive TV channels just for local area weather. I've heard it is in the works, but nothing yet.

I also recently bought a cheapo clock radio that has a weather radio built in. Maybe a weather radio would better suit your needs and heck with "the weather channel'.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doesn't your area get the "Local on the 8's" on the Weather Channel?
If they're doing Storm Stories or whatever, we still get our local across the bottom of the screen.

OK, around my area, they give MY local forecast but I found when I travel, their "Local on the 8's" doesn't always do the local for that area. They give local for about 30 major cities?!??! They don't do the local radar or long term forecast. I found this true in Buffalo, Wash. DC and don't recall but maybe Atlanta and Detroit.

Why can they do my little town but not a metropolis area?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I am on DIsh Network, and the Local on the 8's isn't really local. They cycle through a couple of maps and regional radar, plus a chart with temp and weather icons for a whole bunch of cities. During Storm Stories, there is nothing along the bottom of the screen, Dish Network jsut pumps out the raw national feed, so nothing is localized. At the end of Storm Stories, they are usually pressed for time, so the weather on the 8's (9's?) is compressed and only shows each region for a few seconds.

For internet weather, I have joined Weather Underground. Their live radar is the best on the internet, and if you join ($5 per year or something similar) then you can actually set the moving radar to playback several hours of history (I think up to 10 hours).

BadAttitude

I lost local on the 8's when I switched to Dish
and I agree...Weather Channel has too much BS
even what they show for local radar is misleading.

Watch the local news or record it for a 50%(if that)
chance of getting an accurate forecast

JayC

Huh?
Why don't you try WeatherBug? I've been using it for years. I really like it. It has been accused of being spyware, but I don't believe it. I've never had any problems with it. It will give you up-to-the-minute warnings. I love hearing about watches or warnings when they are issued. You can see radar, and a forcast. I tried TWC's Desktop Weather, but don't like it nearly as much as WeatherBug.

http://www.weatherbug.com

DingoTango

THE WEATHER CHANNEL SUCKS!!!!!

I love this thread! I join with the rest of you and have switched off my TV and now use Accuweather Premium online (which kind of sucks cuz it's not very accurate...)

"Storm Stories" belongs on the Discover Channel or Fox or The Disasters That Happened In The Past Channel.

And when they actually talk about THE WEATHER (imagine!), they spend half their time saying hello to each other, going to cute featurettes about some stupid event in someplace you don't care about, or just sitting there showing us their new hairdos and spray-on tans (or is that CNN I'm thinking of?)

Cable TV is a joke. 500 channels and you're lucky if you can find one show that's worth watching. Are people just idiots? Are we, the participants in this thread, superior to the rest of our species? :D

DingoTango

JayC said:
It has been accused of being spyware, but I don't believe it. I've never had any problems with it.
Hey, y'all, am I the only one seeing JayC's social security number, home address and phone number displayed in all his posts? :yankchain: :peek-a-bo

Kwiens

Haven't used Weather Channel for years. Too many shows, no weather!

I use weatherbug (no spyware issues, only ads) and weatherunderground.com.

Wunderground.com is the only web sight I've ever paid to get of the ads. It's only $5 per year.

Kevin

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I like Accu-weather on the internet. Weather channel even on the web is about as inaccurate as it gets.

murph

DingoTango

I hope someone from the stupid Weather Channel looks at this thread. I bet there are at least a hundred similar threads in a hundred different forums where people are saying these same things. But we're online and maybe the Weather Channel has changed because of the Web. These media are competing with each other and the market is splitting into lots of sub-markets. Perhaps the type of people who will sit through the Weather Channel's advertising are the same people who want to watch Stupid Storm Stories and are more concerned about how everyone's hair looks instead of actually caring about weather forecasts and analysis. :soapbox:

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
thcri said:
I like Accu-weather on the internet. Weather channel even on the web is about as inaccurate as it gets.

murph

I tried Accu-weather a couple of years ago and found it useless for my area. It gave the report for a town about 60 miles away and at a different altitude. I find the National Weather Service website is much more accurate.