• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Lawn experts?

i'd like to get rid of the weeds (dandelions) in my yard...in the past I've used granular weed and feed products and also 2-4-d sprays. I was thinking that the spray would tackle the weeds, but not cause the grass to grow like crazy (we mow enough as it is, thenkyew), but i've also read that the W&F products encourage root growth which also helps get rid of the weeds...so I'm in a quandry...W&F or spray?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One word of caution with pets (and I would presume children) is that when using a liquid spray my vet reported to me that they have a high incidence of allergic reactions in pets when exposed to liquid Weed & Feed. One of our Akitas lost all her fur on her legs and belly where she came into contact with a lawn that was sprayed with liquid Weed & Feed. She also developed a horrible rash from the exposure.

I no longer use any of the liquid weed and feed type products anywhere that pets or children might be exposed to them.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I use the spray about once a year. I try to keep the dogs off the lawn until it is dry and then I wash their paws off a lot for a few days after.

Once you get rid of the weeds, let your lawn get nice and thick and a little long and it will help to keep the weeds out.

I shoulda been more clearer-er...the sprays i've used have only been weed, not feed...no fertilizers...

so the question is

a. granular weed and feed spring and fall

-or-

b. spray broadleaf weed control spring and fall

-or-

c. better method?

yes, we have pets, but they don't typically go on treated areas for 12 hours or so after applications...and i'm pretty sure my 19 yo son hasn't been in the yard in years ...

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Give your 19 yo sun a screwdriver and tell him to get rid of the weeds. ;)

I use granular feed (every 3-4 mos) and liquid weed killer (when needed).

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you elect to use a weed and feed product be very cautious with application. Damage to or distortion of shrubs and plants in nearby beds can occur.