• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

CELEBRATE! Eric Cantor, House Majority Leader, LOSES his primary!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There must be some major SHOCKWAVES rolling through Washington DC.

And with any luck through the entire GOP establishment.

The HOUSE MAJORITY LEADER, second only to Speaker of the House, just lost his seat in Congress by losing his primary seat to an underfunded, first time candidate with zero political experience!

Add to this stunning loss the fact that Mitch McConnell, Senate Minority Leader, only managed to take about 60% of his primary voters, that incumbent Thad Cochoran is in a run-off election and is running behind his challenger, the fact that John Boehner only managed about 65% of his primary votes . . . etc etc etc

What that SHOULD mean to the ESTABLISHMENT GOP leadership is that their leadership SUCKS :hammer:

If the GOP has not learned from this stunning loss then the party is doomed. If the party wises up, and I doubt they will, then maybe, just maybe they have a chance at growing the base.

BUT one thing is sure, the GOP will win in November because of the unpopularity of the Democrats . . . NOT because the GOP is popular, because it is not.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Cantor didn't bother to return the VCDL survey. Our teaparty guy not only returned it he is rated strongly pro gun.

Far as I'm concerned Cantor has other problems too.

Jim

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cantor was a two faced, establishment man who couldn't stand on a principle he believed in, if he could find a principle he believed in.

I really really don't like politicians like Cantor.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Cantor was a two faced, establishment man who couldn't stand on a principle he believed in, if he could find a principle he believed in.

I really really don't like politicians like Cantor.

Neither do I. There are way too many folks like him on both sides of the aisle :sad:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Email just in from the GOA

Political Earthquake Shocks Washington Establishment -- GOA-backed candidate defeats House Majority Leader

Eric Cantor, the Majority Leader of the U.S. House of Representatives, went down in a stunning defeat to GOA-supported David Brat.
Cantor, who represents Virginia's 7th District, vastly outspent Brat, an economics professor at Virginia's Randolph-Macon College.

On Monday evening, Gun Owners of America blanketed the district with phone calls to registered voters, hitting Cantor for his recent vote to expand gun control and noting that Brat stands 100% for the right to keep and bear arms.

On Tuesday morning, political commentators predicted a landslide win for Cantor, but voters rejected his support for bigger government and, in particular, his support of amnesty for illegal aliens.

Since the district is considered safe Republican, Brat is heavily favored to win the general election in November.

Congratulations to David Brat, and we're thankful to the many GOA supporters who made this victory possible. GOA was the only national gun rights organization to support Brat in this race.

Click here to support GOA with a contribution of $10 or $20 so we can continue to protect our Second Amendment rights.

Sincerely,

Tim Macy
Vice Chairman

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think, at least I hope the CANTOR loss resonates.

But looking at the liberal news website THE HILL, their headline about another establishment incumbent LINDSEY GRAHAM states that he "dominated" with 'nearly 60%' of the votes. But shouldn't an establishment candidate earn a lot more than 59% of the votes?

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/208933-graham-dominates-foes-avoids-runoff

Granted the Graham primary was a big field, and his lead over his next opponent was large, but he still barely got over a majority.

I think, or at least I hope, the GOP learns that 'dominating' is 80 or 90% of the vote and squeaking by is UNDER 60% of the vote. No matter how many opponents they face. The GOP better wise up.

The TEA PARTY may not be an organized movement that will draw a million people to the capital mall, but it has spread out to become a mainstream movement of regular conservatives who simply want to regain the nation and restore some common sense to politics.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Eric Cantor was one of those Politician's politicians that I dislike. I'm not sorry that he's gone.

Hey, these might be the first steps of taking our country back. I live in hope.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good news. I hope the GOP wakes the F' up and notices that they need to INCLUDE ALL repulicans. Other wise Hillary will have us in a vice on our nuts... Do you really think they want that?

Regards, Kirk

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good news. I hope the GOP wakes the F' up and notices that they need to INCLUDE ALL repulicans. Other wise Hillary will have us in a vice on our nuts... Do you really think they want that?

Regards, Kirk
It appears to me there is a divide that cannot be negotiated or compromised out of existence, one side or the other will win, either way leaving the republican party divided. If that is the case Hillary is the odds on fav to be at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. in 2017.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
From this morning's VA-ALERT:
Vcdl.org

None of the political pundits saw this coming - Dave Brat beat Eric Cantor and beat him by a full 11%!

Eric Cantor was his own worst enemy in his reelection bid. For years VCDL tried to get Cantor to simply return his VCDL Candidate Survey to give his gun-owning constituents an idea of his future votes on gun-related issues. That is not a time-consuming thing and it would have been a great way for him to communicate his current AND FUTURE support for our right to keep and bear arms to over 26,000 people.

But, no, he refused. I guess he was too big and too important a man to stoop down to the level of mere constituents to communicate his position on critical gun issues once every TWO YEARS.

Starting about 6 years ago, VCDL asked Cantor to move his annual “Republican Roundup” event to a gun-friendly venue so that gun owners could attend and feel welcome. He, and the then Republican 7th Congressional District Party Chairman, Lynwood Cobb, ignored us.

We even found alternate locations for the event. Cantor and Cobb refused to make any changes. Gun owners would just have to suck it up.

So VCDL members protested at a few of the Republican Roundups. They were decent sized protests, too, and included a banner-carrying airplane flying over the Roundup. The press took note of those protests.

Still nothing. Gun owners were feeling more and more that Cantor and Lynwood Cobb were taking us for granted.

Bad move.

The chickens came home to roost for Cobb at the 7th Congressional District Convention, when Fred Gruber won the Chairmanship last month. And they roosted on top of Cantor last night in the primary.

I was told by a 7th Congressional District poll worker that there was a lot of talk at his polling place, and at other polling places, about the effectiveness of the VCDL robocalls last week. Turns out a lot of gun owners who had put Cantor signs in their yards, based on the NRA's endorsement of Cantor, removed and replaced them with Brat signs when the robocall pointed out that Cantor had not returned his VCDL candidate survey! No doubt that Cantor’s prior support for One Handgun a Month had also caught many by surprise.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:clap: :clap: :clap: Good for the fine folks of Virginia. Hip hip Hooray. Well done!!!!!!

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
It appears to me there is a divide that cannot be negotiated or compromised out of existence...If that is the case Hillary is the odds on fav to be at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. in 2017.

gee, I dunno. :pat:

no matter who the REP/TEA party person is, they will get my vote before Killery gets it.

jus sayin

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
gee, I dunno. :pat:

no matter who the REP/TEA party person is, they will get my vote before Killery gets it.

jus sayin
And they will get my vote to. After 2012 I do not trust the rest of the Repubs. I still can't understand how Romney could lose to Obama. It blows my mind. :bonk:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
And they will get my vote to. After 2012 I do not trust the rest of the Repubs. I still can't understand how Romney could lose to Obama. It blows my mind. :bonk:

If the surveys are valid, a lot of GOP voters didn't like Romney and so didn't vote at all. And of course, Obama had the
advantage of his Chicago experience with the graveyard vote. Plus the old Chitown political slogan:
"Vote early, and vote often!"

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
CANTOR’S DEFEAT, MYTHBUSTER EDITION
A lavish mythology has already arisen around the shocking defeat of House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, who despite a 28-to-1 cash advantage, a late-game media blitz and 13 years of incumbency, lost to an economics professor at a small college in the district. To know what happened, we first ought to know what didn’t happen.

Myth - Cantor was upended in a low-turnout election by a small number of tea party radicals.

Reality - The results in Cantor’s defeat, the first-ever primary loss by a sitting House majority leader saw a marked rise in turnout from 2012: a 28-percent turnout increase from the presidential-election year. You may feel free to lament the poor levels of American civic involvement, generally. But this is not a case of low-turnout electoral distortion.

Myth - A wave of immigration outrage among downscale voters in lower-income rural and far suburban precincts overwhelmed Cantor’s complacent electoral base in upper-income precincts in and near Richmond.

Reality - Immigration seems to be the chief animating issue here, but this was not blue-collar versus white-collar voters. Turnout was up fairly uniformly across the district, including the affluent sections of Cantor’s home county of Henrico, which the majority leader lost too. From precincts with median incomes near the poverty line in places like rural Louisa County to those nibbling strictly upper crust in the West End of Richmond, the electorate was energized and not digging the incumbent.

More Myth/Reality at the link:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/11/cantors-defeat-mythbuster-edition/

grizzer

Dunno if true but Rachel Maddow was crowing about Cantor's buying (besides steaks) all the conference rooms out to prevent others from gathering at the GOP meeting where his buddy was ousted as chair.

VA also has open primaries where dems could vote for republican candidates which could throw the count in cases where turnout is low...

MN has closed primaries you can vote either dem or republican straight ticket. A vote on the other side of the ballot invalidates the whole thing.