• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Topiary?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Does anyone have experience with making them?

Mrs. Zoom purchased a topiary frame yesterday. It looks like this.

Neither of us have done this before.

Any thoughts/hints on how to do it? What kind of plant should be used? How often do you prune it, grow it in the ground or in a planter...

Honestly, I think it'll make a nice paper mache project for the kids as neither of us have a very green thumb...

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
When it arrived, I didn't know anything about it so the conversation between Mrs. Zoom and I was something to the effect of:
Mrs. Zoom - :coolshade
Me - :wtf:

Mrs. Zoom - :nono2:
Me - Do we really need this? :YesNo:
Mrs. Zoom - But it's like visiting :Mickey:

Me - :pat:

Mrs. Zoom - :blahblah: :finger1:

Me: - :hide:

Both: :kiss:

BoneheadNW

bczoom said:
Mrs. Zoom - But it's like visiting :Mickey:

Me - :pat:

Mrs. Zoom - :blahblah: :finger1:

Me: - :hide:

Both: :kiss:
Sounds exactly like the converstion that would take place with my wife except mine would probably end with (I'm the one on the left):
:argueing:
:fart1:
:3_7_11v:

daedong

Brian

I must say I have never done topiary in this form but have trimmed and trained hedges.
I think shaping a plant in a frame like this would be relatively easy to do. I would imagine that the first and most important thing would be selection of plant species?
You would need to train the plant with main stems and as you do this I would select laterals at strategic points e.g. arms and nose. I would trim any growth as soon as it protruded the wire net. This I think would need to be done weekly during the growth season.
[FONT=&quot]But I really have no idea.
[/FONT]