• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I am a cheap SOB

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
but I don't want to plant a garden again this year only to have the deer and the rabbits to destroy everything. So I have to give in and buy a fence. I know I am dealing with two kinds of critters so if I deal with the deer mostly I think I can handle the rabbits with a live trap. Anyone have any suggestions for a fence that is relatively inexpensive. I need about 100 and 100ft.

murph

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It needs to be high (at least in WA state) around 7' is the minimum.

You can use netting but it isn't very attractive. Cheapest is probably going to be field fence.

I've even considered just running wire around in 1 foot increments. I don't think they can squeeze through a 1 foot wide area.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I found this Critter Fence that is 7.5 feet tall. It has 2" squares so rabbits could get through but I could run another fence that is 24" tall right along with the critter fence.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I've used similar stuff. It is a pain to work with.

I bet you can find some locally.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I've even considered just running wire around in 1 foot increments. I don't think they can squeeze through a 1 foot wide area.

I can't comment on your deer, but I've found that I can't stretch fence tight enough to keep deer from squeezing thru it. As a matter of fact, even at 12" spacings with an electric fencer hooked to it didn't keep them out. I tried a larger charger - didn't work either. I think they liked it. The fencer an old farmer gave me did the trick. Wish I had taken a video camera out there when I first put it up...deer getting zapped and falling over backward, then picking themselves up and giving their body a shake while looking at the fence was funnier than a rubber crutch!:yum:

urednecku

Site Supporter
I've been told to put up a fence, then put an electric wire about 3 or 4 feet outside of that about knee high.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I fenced my goat pens, gardens and back yard with used chain link. I found most of it for about a buck a foot, with posts and top rail included in most cases. I have about 300 feet of heavy duty 6' chain link with top rail and posts you can have if you remove it. The cost of hauling it make it a bit pricey, tho.:smile:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
My solution was to sink 10' fence posts 2' in the ground. I ran 3' rabbit wire around the bottom and built up the dirt over the bottom. I ran 5 strands of electric fence above the rabbit wire. At the very top of the posts I nailed a 2' extension, facing outwards at 45 degrees and connected those with a rope and hung plastic flags every 5' or so. My wife says it looks like Stalag 13. It worked great last year and should do the same this year. Before that I was about to give up on the garden because the deer and rabbits got it every time. I just couldn't keep them out.

When I used just the electric fence on it's own, it wasn't a success because I didn't have it high enough at 5'. I watched 2 deer flatfoot it over the top and a little one go between the wires. Absolutely amazing.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure it is at least 7' tall, 8' would be better and electric is probably the easiest and cheapest way to go. I had a buddy who, in order to train the deer, wrapped aluminum foil covered in peanut butter around some of the wires. He said that they only had to lick it a couple of times before they got the message and never bothered him again.