• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Started our "obamagarden" today

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Because we're afraid it will be a necessity rather than just something to do and put fresh home grown food up. I seriously hope his and the dem's plan works but we have a bad feeling about it.
Mike

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mike, we have a snow advisory here with a lake effect snow pounding us right now but I have been sorting through the garden catalogs for the very same reasons you are. I honestly think that times are going to get very hard and simple things like getting quality fresh food may be tough or very expensive? In any event, having access to quality food is always a good thing. The worst thing that can happen is that things don't get bad and I have plenty of food to donate to the local food bank.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Bought some veggie seeds today and am getting ready to get the greenhouses ready. Still a little early for these parts.

I'm going to buy a big freezer this year to store more meat and veggies in.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I was supposed to build a greenhouse for a neighbor this weekend, but since we had 4" of snow yesterday and the high for the weekend was 24, she decided it was too chilly.

I didn't argue.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I went through my usual spring process of, "I'm not putting in a garden this year 'cos it's too much work" but we went to Dallas a couple of weeks ago and went to Central Market while we were there. It only took one look at colored peppers at $3.99/lb for me to come home and hitch up the tiller. Got all the cool weather veggies in and I'm ready to plant the warm weather ones in the next month. I'm in the process of building raised beds for the kitchen garden too. I should have that finished this coming week. If all goes well, I should have enough homegrown food and herbs to keep us and a dozen friends going throughout the year.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
was 70 here Wednesday at 5 PM, was 12 this morning, supposed to be close to 70 by midweek again.
Typical Kansas weather.
we're not ready for planting anything yet, unless it's going in a cold frame, and even then you'd be gambling.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
It was warmer in Kansas today then it was down here. How terrible is that?

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Reread your post, 70 on Wednesday not today. My error.

It was only about 56 here today with a strong wind, felt like a cool fall day in ND with snow in the air.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Kind of getting ready myself as for buying seed. But we typically can't plant here until May. So no rush. But the garden has already been tilled I just need to seed.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I too have a web page open to start looking for seeds.

Anyone have any recommendations on good places to get seeds? (Quality & Price)

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have used Gurneys for some time. Last year they upset me so I may be looking elsewhere or at least buying some from another supplier to see how things go.