Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Vehicles > Military Vehicles Forum

Military Vehicles Forum Anything and everything about military vehicles. Restorations & more. Pictures encouraged.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:16 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 4,433 Times in 2,053 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Navy Destroyer collides with building in Downtown Houston

OK its a parody story from the Duffleblog but its too good to pass up given that we've had recent incidents of some of the most advanced ships in our Navy crossing into cargo ships.
Link ... https://www.duffelblog.com/2017/08/n...town%20Houston
Quote:

HOUSTON — As if the city of Houston hasn’t seen enough tragedy due to catastrophic flooding from Hurricane Harvey, things took a turn for the worse today after a U.S. Navy ship collided with a building in the downtown area.

The ship was identified as an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer belonging to the Navy’s 7th Fleet.

It was unclear why the destroyer was not able to see the building and take evasive action, or why it was over 20 miles inland and trying to navigate through a major metropolitan area.
“I had climbed up on my roof due to dem risin’ flood waters, when I saw a big ship sailin’ down the street,” said Georgia Brown, a resident who witnessed the incident. “I says to myself ‘Oh Lawdy, someone’s done come to rescue us!’ and then it sails right past my house and smack straight into that yonder building.”
This marks the fifth collision incident this summer for destroyers from the Navy’s beleaguered 7th Fleet, following incidents involving the USS Fitzgerald, USS John S. McCain, and the USS Ted Kennedy.

The Navy declined to comment on the cause of the collision, citing an ongoing investigation, although it did say the captain had been promptly relieved of his command.

Despite reticence from the Navy, a senior defense official speculated the ship had likely veered off course from its patrol route in the South China Sea.

Navy officials say they are planning a number of PowerPoint trainings related to urban maritime navigation.

Attached Images

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Melensdad For This Useful Post:
Catavenger (08-29-2017), Doc  (08-29-2017), jim slagle  (08-29-2017), NorthernRedneck (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 06:44 PM
Forum Admin

Thanked 6,965 Times in 2,998 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Navy Destroyer collides with building in Downtown Houston

Other Fun Forums:

Net Tractor Talk + Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (08-29-2017)