• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker Roof rack

Tye one on

Having a Roof rack built for my 1543. I’ve got a pretty good idea what I would like to see but I’d love to see some of your creations for ideas. Cheers!!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
well I like the aftermarket racks like Yakima, with them you can attach all sorts of different components and haul just about everything you would ever think of, clean and simple,

and with that said, I still prefer a beat up old tucker sno-cat trailer, don't have to crawl up and or over tracks, but there is NO place for the light bars, speakers and ....

quite sure you will create an amazing roof rack that everyone will wish they had it, be ready to build several more...

cheers...

Last edited:

Snowy Rivers

The roof rack is sooooo cool..
As mentioned, you have to crawl up over the tracks and deal with all that, but having a place for light bars and such is a handy thing.

I am thinking about a major light bar on the van cat but the rig has a factory rack up top.

Likely will fabricate a bar with uprights that will mount to the cat sub frame and then extend up and across the roof top.

Please take pics and show us what you end up with.

Thanks in advance for sharing :clap:

Red130

I think I'll see if I can get a thread going for pics of all kinds of racks. I'm interested to see what people are doing.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Having a Roof rack built for my 1543. I’ve got a pretty good idea what I would like to see but I’d love to see some of your creations for ideas. Cheers!!

I would make it full length of the cab and incorporate a sun visor with lights built into the visor, maybe have a ladder up to the rack and a observation deck maybe for surveying the terrain, on the back another set of lights. just a few ideas.

Logger1965

GOLD Site Supporter
Or just get some rubber snubbers and some old milk crates and go hillbilly fabulous, and none of us other catters would say a thing----honest!

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I would make it full length of the cab and incorporate a sun visor with lights built into the visor, maybe have a ladder up to the rack and a observation deck maybe for surveying the terrain, on the back another set of lights. just a few ideas.

I agree wholeheartedly with a ladder, or other means of access for the roof-top carrier. Realize you're going to be accessing it in the winter, which means snow and ice on the steps/ladder rungs. Very easy to slip, lose your balance and fall. I think in addition to adequate steps so you can safely access all parts of the rack, you also need hand holds. Here are some pics of two Tuckers with racks I've owned:

The first is a 1980 1543. The ladder access is excellent, and you can step off the ladder onto the gas tank to reach the rear of the rack. However the open design of the rack is poor (in my opinion).

DSC01324.jpg

The second photo is the other side. Here you can step into the open carrier on the side. It's a taller reach to the top. I have the same complaint on the open rack. The floor has decent support members, but needs to be a full size floor to hold smaller objects. I also much prefer the idea of a weatherproof box to an open carrier on the side.

DSC01328.jpg

Here's another, which is our current 1643 project machine. This photo was taken shortly after we acquired the Tucker, and during a day of testing. This roof top box has nice expanded metal sides and the floor is also expanded metal. We will add some more supports under the floor. But overall it's a pretty nice rack. We also intend to weld some tabs to the rack for mounting LED lights, both on the sides and in the rear. We removed the rotating beacon and the spotlight. The plan is to attach a large LED light bar to the roof in front of the rack. And there will be some form of steps and/or ladders. Since this photo was taken we removed the open top aluminum box and the welded on supporting framework. We welded new supporting frame members that replicate the gas tank support members for the addition of a large Weatherguard enclosed and lockable box.

IMG_0318 2.jpg

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I used some Thule/ Yakima rack components. What is nice about this setup is you can remove it all and the rain gutter bracket blend right in.

Attachments

• D093A2D3-4257-4B65-B27D-9649B76AAC0F.jpg
    D093A2D3-4257-4B65-B27D-9649B76AAC0F.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 315
  • BB55075F-3B66-44E5-9D79-A595140BCA57.jpg
    BB55075F-3B66-44E5-9D79-A595140BCA57.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 317
  • F3435840-DABD-4092-BB27-CDE387084C6A.jpg
    F3435840-DABD-4092-BB27-CDE387084C6A.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 309
  • 4702222A-1468-494B-98B2-5EE87E77ECF9.png
    4702222A-1468-494B-98B2-5EE87E77ECF9.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 331

Aaron Tucker

I agree wholeheartedly with a ladder, or other means of access for the roof-top carrier. Realize you're going to be accessing it in the winter, which means snow and ice on the steps/ladder rungs. Very easy to slip, lose your balance and fall. I think in addition to adequate steps so you can safely access all parts of the rack, you also need hand holds. Here are some pics of two Tuckers with racks I've owned:

The first is a 1980 1543. The ladder access is excellent, and you can step off the ladder onto the gas tank to reach the rear of the rack. However the open design of the rack is poor (in my opinion).

View attachment 98883

The second photo is the other side. Here you can step into the open carrier on the side. It's a taller reach to the top. I have the same complaint on the open rack. The floor has decent support members, but needs to be a full size floor to hold smaller objects. I also much prefer the idea of a weatherproof box to an open carrier on the side.

View attachment 98884

Here's another, which is our current 1643 project machine. This photo was taken shortly after we acquired the Tucker, and during a day of testing. This roof top box has nice expanded metal sides and the floor is also expanded metal. We will add some more supports under the floor. But overall it's a pretty nice rack. We also intend to weld some tabs to the rack for mounting LED lights, both on the sides and in the rear. We removed the rotating beacon and the spotlight. The plan is to attach a large LED light bar to the roof in front of the rack. And there will be some form of steps and/or ladders. Since this photo was taken we removed the open top aluminum box and the welded on supporting framework. We welded new supporting frame members that replicate the gas tank support members for the addition of a large Weatherguard enclosed and lockable box.

View attachment 98885
Good looking Cats . I really like the 1643 :thumbup:

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks good and very stout built. How is it attached to roof ,through frame or just the skin? Nice job should last forever! Is paint in the future or leave it all natural ?

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very interesting approach, aluminum I assume correctly?

Giving me ideas for the 1544 now :) I guess aerodynamics isnt a topic of discussion.

p.s. on the steps? not too slippery? I welded strips of stretched/expanded style stuff for slipproof :)