• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bad weather at sea..

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Either this scares the crap out of you - or you get a thrill out of it. If I was on that ship - I'd be scared shitless.:yum:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfEo6E6nElE"]YouTube- Bad weather 21-2-2007[/ame]

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPBaqh3dcVM"]YouTube- Rough seas iceland[/ame]

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
In the North Sea they call that a heavy swell. When you're on a semi-submersible oil rig, being battered by 50' - 60' waves with the occasional 100 footer coming through and the wind blowing at 70 mpg gusting to 100+ mph, now that's worth seeing. Fortunately, I was in the living quarters along with just about everybody else. Only an idiot goes out in that to take pictures. It's an awesome sight.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jld5pIUKhCE"]YouTube- Storm in the Drake Passage[/ame]

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cWyHLup7FY&feature=related"]YouTube- Perfect Storm 90 foot waves!!![/ame]

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good stuff guys. :thumb:
While in the Navy we found ourselves in a hurricane. Our front end came out of the water much like the video of Rough seas in Iceland. We were in open ocean near Bermuda at the time. I was surprised to see the cliffs so close to the ship in Iceland. :eek:
At one point we took a big roll and I was on the signal bridge (top of the ship). It was so weird in that everything started to fall, a big ole coffee pot and other miscellaneous stuff. At the bottom of the roll the moment hung in time. Coffee stopped mid air, everything stood still .....then the ship started rolling back vertical and the chit hit the fan. What a mess. I'll never forget the moment it all hung there as if time stood still for that instant. Very cool.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the iceland vidieo is alot like the nortoon sound storms the water is shallow in norton sound so he waves stack up high and tight when it gets bad you can actualy see them on the horizion and it will look like a rough wall

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
the iceland vidieo is alot like the nortoon sound storms the water is shallow in norton sound so he waves stack up high and tight when it gets bad you can actualy see them on the horizion and it will look like a rough wall

That's how it is in the North Sea. Out in the Atlantic there are big waves but usually they are far apart and it's more like big rolling hills of water. In the North Sea they stack up high, steep and close together. A boat runs up a 50 footer, crests it and slides down the backside into the trough only to be hit by another 50 footer or higher before it can dig itself out and start to climb again. It's a rough friggin' ride.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Great video, PG! :wow:

The OP looks more like a normal, fairly "calm" day anywhere around the Bering Sea, but this one is a dandy. It takes quite a sea-state to put that much green water over the bow of a bird-farm!!

:biggrin: I kinda know what to look for when it comes to rolling ships and such, based on Daddy's adventures with the tide.

alaska120

Mayor McCheese
SUPER Site Supporter
Several years ago I was on a 32' stern picker in Prince William Sound fighting 12 to 14 footers...doesn't sound big until you're looking UP at the wall of water coming toward you. We soon headed into a small bay to wait it out. That boat took one helluva wooping. We did too...

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Hey, you get use to it. When I was in the Coast Guard, you didn't have a choice "If" you were going out in the storms, you went out because some other poor ship's crew was going to sink/die if you didn't.

I took a Crab Boat from Dutch Harbor to Ballard, Washington as a part of a crew of three, two years ago to get yard work done, when we pulled out of Dutch, we ran directly into a storm where the 200' ship's bridge went under the water three times (that is a dark green water, no foam). The glass directly in front of me in the Captain's chair (running the ship on my watch) had the gaskets blown out about 50% from the outside. I ran an airline from the engine room to the bridge and got a big orange crab pot buoy there as well. If the gasket blew out completely, the sea water would have flooded the bridge and fried the instruments and controls. Didn't happen, but it keeps you wide awake on watch....

By the way, that captain on that trip is one the the crew on the Deadliest Catch.

This was an interview that went astray..... :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0LPUI0lfVw"]YouTube- The Front Fell Off-Interview[/ame]

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
After looking at the battering that these ships took ,all I can say is that I'm glad I served in the Air Force . :yum::yum:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey, you get use to it. When I was in the Coast Guard, you didn't have a choice "If" you were going out in the storms, you went out because some other poor ship's crew was going to sink/die if you didn't.

I took a Crab Boat from Dutch Harbor to Ballard, Washington as a part of a crew of three, two years ago to get yard work done, when we pulled out of Dutch, we ran directly into a storm where the 200' ship's bridge went under the water three times (that is a dark green water, no foam). The glass directly in front of me in the Captain's chair (running the ship on my watch) had the gaskets blown out about 50% from the outside. I ran an airline from the engine room to the bridge and got a big orange crab pot buoy there as well. If the gasket blew out completely, the sea water would have flooded the bridge and fried the instruments and controls. Didn't happen, but it keeps you wide awake on watch....

Green water over the bridge?!? Now that is an exciting day! Sounds a lot like the seas I remember from that part of the world. Folks who haven't been up there can't really relate. Then you add in the fact that the area routinely produces rogues that run up to 100' (and more if you consider the leading trough) and the area is just plain unfriendly to the poor seamen.

P.S. Maybe that's where the Coast Guard's Unofficial Official Motto started: "You have to go out, but nobody says you have to come back!"