• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Luke Russert gets into family business

American Woman

Site Supporter
It's good to see this kid going on in his Daddy's footsteps

http://www.myembarq.com/news/read.php?ps=1005&rip_id=<D936M2OO0@news.ap.org>_LT=HOME_LARSDCCI1_UNEWS

In this image released by NBC, Luke Russert is

NEW YORK (AP) — The reporter who sat across from John McCain and Barack Obama for separate interviews that aired on NBC's "Today" show Friday was only 23.
Was he nervous?
"Not necessarily," Luke Russert said. "I had prior relationships with both of them."
He asked both Obama and McCain about whether community service should be mandatory for young people. They said no, but both presidential candidates said the United States missed a real opportunity to teach citizens about sacrifice following the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Matt Lauer debriefed him about the interviews.
No one would have figured on seeing a Russert on the "Today" show this political season following the shocking death of Luke's dad, Tim Russert, of a heart attack on June 13.
Offered the chance to report on youth issues for NBC News, the gregarious young Russert dove into the assignment with gusto, toting a microphone backstage at the Democratic and Republican conventions. Many of his stories have appeared on the "Nightly News" Web site and he blogs about his experiences on iCue.com
"He's one of the rookies of the year," said NBC News President Steve Capus. "Here's a man at the worst possible time in his life who stepped into the spotlight with great poise, strength and a sense of humor, with a love of politics and a love for NBC."

American Woman

Site Supporter
His Dad took him almost everywhere behind the scenes with him, and he ,as a kid, has already met these people he will be interviewing. They would know and trust him on a different level. It's an unbelievable way for him to go on in his dad's footsteps. He's probably the only one to come close to filling them.

American Woman

Site Supporter
More promotion of media-medocracy.

My thoughts...
I see where you are coming from with all the hoopla about how special he was AD. That does always seem to happen :rolleyes: I didn't know anything about him. I read his book about Fathers. I still don't know too much about his career, but know how much his son meant to him. With a personal feeling as a parent it feels good to see the boy moving on.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Im thinking there are MANY pissed off people that had GONE to school for a job like this..... waited years.... worked very hard for a position Russerts kid got. And he got it because he is the son of a guy. Sure his daddy showed him some of the ropes and he met a couple key people. But this guy doesnt deserve the job above the other people that actually WORKED for it.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Im thinking there are MANY pissed off people that had GONE to school for a job like this..... waited years.... worked very hard for a position Russerts kid got.

Your attitude is one of a Unions. In other words if someone else got there first qualified or not they should get the job? I disagree, I think a business should have a right as to who they hire or not.

And he got it because he is the son of a guy. Sure his daddy showed him some of the ropes and he met a couple key people. But this guy doesnt deserve the job above the other people that actually WORKED for it.

Luke was around the set of his fathers and got to know a lot of them people as a child. They know what he is capable of and the others waiting in line they don't know. Why take your chances on someone you don't know? Luke had every right to apply for that job. Also Luke was working for a job even as a child from what I understand.

murph

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Luke was around the set of his fathers and got to know a lot of them people as a child. They know what he is capable of and the others waiting in line they don't know. Why take your chances on someone you don't know? Luke had every right to apply for that job. Also Luke was working for a job even as a child from what I understand.

He is as qualified as Obama as President from my point of view.
Dont get me wrong. I very much liked Tim and have nothing against his son.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Disagree, Tim's son was shown the ropes.

I will have to read you XM job post later :thumb:

He was ALMOST given the ropes. Look, Im all for making friends, networking and advancing ones career. Im not into kids getting jobs because of whom their PARENTS are. This is clearly the case here.
I feel very bad for the people that worked hard to get a position like this. Its not fair to them. Some of these kids probably even had to PAY for their own education!
Would you want your son or daughter getting bumped after all they went though?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Im not into kids getting jobs because of whom their PARENTS are. This is clearly the case here.

I guess it is part of life Sushi. Even here I have employees that have worked here for years and when we need temporary help or even permanent help sometimes we hire the child of an employee. I would rather give them a job knowing what I will expect from the parent than a person I know nothing of.

I feel very bad for the people that worked hard to get a position like this.
Would you want your son or daughter getting bumped after all they went though?

No I really wouldn't. But it is part of life. You could turn the scenario around and that would not be fair either. The fact that some people are in the right place at the right time has always been and always will be.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
He was ALMOST given the ropes.

Just one other thing, I don't think you can give the ropes to anybody. You have to learn the ropes, they just don't come to you.

IE: your good in sales; it didn't just come to you. I have been to many sales courses, I hate sales; you can give me all you want, I am not a sales person.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I guess it is part of life Sushi. Even here I have employees that have worked here for years and when we need temporary help or even permanent help sometimes we hire the child of an employee. I would rather give them a job knowing what I will expect from the parent than a person I know nothing of.

You cant compare the two. Apples and Oranges. A temp job that you speak of and being a broadcaster for ESPN on XM radio is a little different man.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
or even permanent help sometimes we hire the child of an employee. I would rather give them a job knowing what I will expect from the parent than a person I know nothing of.

You cant compare the two. Apples and Oranges. A temp job that you speak of and being a broadcaster for ESPN on XM radio is a little different man.

You saying the jobs I give are not as important as the Sports Caster for ESPN?? I said about even permanent help. I don't see no difference.