• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Good God ! Talk about a difference !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I started looking around for Concrete block for my new RV storage building . It is 14'x46 in size . I want 48" high walls of concrete block around the base so I can plow snow against the building and not worry about tearing up the siding .That's over 400 block .
I thought the smart thing to do was put the building out for a material bid with the local lumber companies .

Holy Gee Whiz ! I got prices from $1.32 per block to $2.25 !!!! That is stupid !!! $6 a board difference on 20' 2x8's alone !!!:w00t2:

The local boys got their ass kicked by Home Depot . I really don't know why these local guys just don't close their doors . They don't even want to compete .

Anyway , I forgot how much I hate concrete work . Its hot , heavy and dirty . I did last longer than my 38 year old helper in the 90 plus heat yesterday :smile:. His ass was draggin when he went home last night . Got about 1/2 the Concrete block walls up now . About 3 more work days should see the foundation finished . I am keepin tract of cost if anyone want to know what it will cost to build one .

Tomorrow I am going fishin !!:biggrin:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine cost me $1.10 per block for 10" block delivered and placed in the basement. That many would be a piece of cake. We did my 32X68X 9Ft. high basement with all corners and every 4th core rebarred and poured with concrete in 9 days. I mixed all the mud by hand in my mud pan and kept the old mason moving right along. Getting them up on the scaffold was the hard part. I also struck all the joints and cleaned the excess off inside and out. I spent a summer when I was 19 working as a tender on some big mall and apartment jobs and decided back then it was not a profession for me.

Kane

I spent a summer when I was 19 working as a tender on some big mall and apartment jobs and decided back then it was not a profession for me.

Yes indeed, working as a mason tender will make a man out of you ... an old man in a hurry.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am keepin tract of cost if anyone want to know what it will cost to build one
Around here, the rough number for block (for everything but not sure about digging the footer itself) is around $5/block. Would be curious how close you come to that price had you paid yourself a fair labor rate.

Don't know why you would want to push snow against a building but I probably would have just run some 2x8's or something across the outside then reinforced behind them. 2x8's with 4x6 posts at 4' intervals will hold back a lot of material.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Around here, the rough number for block (for everything but not sure about digging the footer itself) is around $5/block. Would be curious how close you come to that price had you paid yourself a fair labor rate.

Don't know why you would want to push snow against a building but I probably would have just run some 2x8's or something across the outside then reinforced behind them. 2x8's with 4x6 posts at 4' intervals will hold back a lot of material.

Its a narrow alley type area and as I push the snow out it will slide against the new building .
Up here it is 65 miles to the concrete plant . Concrete is $110 per yard .I am going with concrete block because I do not have forming material that can then be reused on the building . The local home saw mill is out of logs so I have to deal with lumber companies in the nearest big town . Looks like I will end up about $7000 into this building . It has a concrete block foundation , 16'side walls , gravel floor , and is covered in colored metal roofing and siding . That price includes all labor except for my own . Once I get the foundation done , I am pretty much turning it over to the boys to finish .

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Concrete is $110 per yard.

Wow, that is cheap!! I am 4 miles from a batch plant and they get $115 a yard (3 yd min) for regular 3500 psi concrete. Clearly there is a HUGE difference based on your area. When I did my back barn and drive we used 5000 psi concrete (and literally 2 semi loads of #6 rebar and another full semi of wire matting sitting on top hats) and I think it cost me around $85 a yard back then and, on that pour, we used around 3300 sq yds of concrete. At one point there were 9 eleven yard trucks lined up waiting to empty into the pumper truck. I think I've now poured almost 4500 sq yds total at my house.