• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Astro van cat conversion

Snowy Rivers

Re: An introduction/hello and my project.

Great day today...

Pouring down rain and just nasty outside.

The title to the Van showed up so we decided to go to the DMV, PLUS we had some other business at the county seat, and just as we are leaving the house my contact at the little junk yard calls me and says my Astro front suspension is ready to pick up.

Sweeeet.. got 3 things done all in one trip... I like that, so we took the Burb and gotterdone..:bolt:

These two bad boys will quite easily mount in the rear to allow a very simple use of the lug stud flanges and nuts to secure the rear of the cat frame.

These were off of an AWD which is hear nor there but will allow an easier mounting than the Spring fronts on the 2WD

I found 4 of the factory Rally wheel caps with nuts to trim the finished assembly out and give it a nice look..

I HOPE :thumbup:

This little addition will give me 4 good attachment points for the cat sub frame to the van chassis that will be easy to deal with.

More re purposing :smile:

Attachments

• Suspension for rear.jpg
    Suspension for rear.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 643

Snowy Rivers

With the tags now on the van we started driving it to work any bugs out before it gets it's permanent assignment.

Right off I discovered a need for front brakes and the rear end howls.

Brake pads replaced.

I hate to spend much $$$$ on the rear axle as it will go away buttttttttttttt, we need to run this beast and work out any other issues in the power train..

The snow is still getting deeper in the mts where the Weasel is, so just gotta sit and wait.

rdynes01

I know you guys told me not to come back, but i just stop by when my insomnia is acting up........Bob:laugh3:

this has to be a fake post -----this dude needs to go back and read his posts----a lot of bs and nothing getting done----the well went dry last year---lol---whats next---the roof blew off-------lol---I had this cat figured out before the well went dry---- no pun there-----dude shit or get off the pot-------------better yet go buy a cat and put all your unneeded crap in it------someone had to say it

Snowy Rivers

I HOPE YOU HAVE A NICE LIFE SIR.

I assure you this is not a fake post.

Every thing I have mentioned is true and spot on.

Maybe you will change your mind at some time in the future.

I will continue to post pics and info as things move forward.

AS soon as the weather permits we will be heading off to get the Weasel.

Yessss..

The well is fine...just had the pump fail, and at 800 feet down that is costly.

Try making a pension budget work when you get slammed with $8 grand you are not planning on.

THE ROOF IS FINE.

REPLACED IT SUMMER BEFORE LAST.

I am really not quite sure why the caustic replies ????

Send me a PM and I will send you my phone ### and you can call me.

I am more than happy to engage in a conversation.

I find the total slam a bit out of place.

Certainly there are trolls and all manners of stuff on this web, but be sure about things before you call smack down on folks.

I have been on the diesel truck boards for years.

I mentioned a while back that I am a moderator at "THE DIESEL PAGE"
http://thedieselpage.com/

Go BB forum and look for posts by Robyn AKA Missy Good Wench

And for your info sir I am not a DUDE OK ...

65 Year old gal that has battled through these many years and been down the roads of hard knocks.
Served as a shop supervisor for many years in the wood products bizz.
Ran a small trucking company for the last 20 odd years of my working career and during the time frame of 2002 -2013 operated a gun shop in our local town.

Call smack if you like... Just verify before you take pokes at people.

Ahhhhh..no hard feelings here though.

I been down life's highway too many miles son to let a jab or two bother much.

:thumbup:

JUST AN FYI

I have spoken on the phone with SNOWTRAC up in AK

I have also had several conversations with Kier at Chameleon inc regarding tracks and various parts.

Recently spoke with Kier and learned they have a new baby girl...

Sorry to deflate your troll alert, but pretty genuine in what I'm up to and where things are heading..

Just tacking at things from a slightly different angle.

Again...no hard feelings...

Last edited:

BearGap

GOLD Site Supporter

You sound like a hell of a woman! Maybe a little long winded...:wink: it would take me a week to type all that. I'm just a newbie with a 20,000 square foot....I mean a 2000...er, 1/2 of a garage for a shop, but I say keep it up.

Dan

PJL

I don't know Snowy/Robyn but if I ever get jumped in an alley in some sketchy town I think she would have my back.

Snowy Rivers

Thanks guys...

I am not super by any means, but try hard as hell.

My looooooong posts likely come from the many years of helping my fellow diesel pickup enthusiasts rebuild their Chevy Diesels.

Far too many folks hit the boards looking for help on a project and get little to no real good info that they can use.

Or they get belittled because they are not part of the "In crowd"

If any of y'all are GM diesel freaks C'mon over to "The Diesel Page"

A very good crowd that will go the extra mile to help gitterdone.

I am pretty careful about tossing out my Phone ####, but any who would like to chat or just talk shop, I am willing to do it..

Just PM me and I will send the #####

I generally don't post my piccy on boards that I have not been a Member for a loooooong time, butttttttttt, here is a piccy of me and "Dahoooooley"

The engine went away about 2 years after I bought the rig and the project took some serious paths back to glory

Over at the Page is a complete write up on the rebuild of the engine.

AND THE POSTS ARE LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG :wink:

As far as my shop goes ???

Small machine shop in the basement and lottssa room outside.

The cat project has fired me up to the point that I am going to pour a 12 x 18 slab in front of the basement roll up door so I can fab the cat sub frame on a level surface and NOT HAVE TO CRAWL IN THE DIRT :clap:

Having to work outside is one of the main reasons I am spending MUCH time doing the drawing board stuff and gathering a few parts that will come in handy later.

Yessss guys... If we find ourselves in a bind some dark night... "I got yer 6" :smile:

I have been on the boards since 2001 and it never ceases to amaze me at those who will hide behind their keyboard and take hard pokes at others..

We get them at the page from time to time, but they usually either mellow out or go away..

Again.

Thanks guys for the good vibes.

I am not going far

As more things come into view I will post the info.

At present there is little I can do until it's Weasel time (At least late April or early May and we can get to the Weasel)

About all that's doable now is to make sure the power train part of the project is in good shape.

Attachments

• Missy and DaHoooley1S.JPG
    Missy and DaHoooley1S.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 536
  • ready to go in 3.JPG
    ready to go in 3.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 534
  • ready to go in 2.JPG
    ready to go in 2.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 528

Snowy Rivers

This one is to Mr TOP WELDER

Your sarcasm is rather obnoxious, but I can let that slide.

Yeah
You had it all figured out, yeah right..uh huh

So as if it's any of your business here is the receipt for the well repairs.

Look at the date (Right when I packed it in the first go round) GO TO POST 134 of March 11th 2017

Look at the $$$$ amount (There were some other $$$$ spent by me not on this invoice)

See the $1800 credit???

That was what I sold my project van for.

Don't be so quick to judge please...

And my roof did not blow off.

May of 2016 we had a new complete roof done at my expense...

Soooooo

Kindly be a tad more respectful please...

Again no hard feelings :smile:

JUST AN FYI

The lead man listed under labor... SHE WAS A 29 YO GAL
The helper listed was a 20 year old Marine that is the grandson of the company owner and was home on leave.

And I turned a wrench or two to help things move faster as the second day (going back down) the weather was closing in on us and a 3rd set of hands got us done by the time the rain hit.

Just sayin...

Attachments

• WELL.JPG
    WELL.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:

rdynes01

I don't know Snowy/Robyn but if I ever get jumped in an alley in some sketchy town I think she would have my back.

What exactly does this have to do with the subject of this thread? Anyway, I come onto the forum to learn about snowcats mostly and granted people can stray a bit far from original subject but after 10+ pages of this thread we learn more about stuff that has nothing to do with snowcats and more about her personal life and problems than really belongs on the forum dedicated to restoration and modifications forum. Just my .02 cents worth.....Bob

Snowy Rivers

Bob

With all due respect (big time)

I came here to learn and get ideas as well.

I am trying hard to build a custom Cat (Which has been posted here many times) and the project has to start at square one with a custom job.

Unlike rebuilding or renovating an old unit a custom critter takes some finesse.

Seems that some folks are much smarter than me and would go out and start welding up a bunch of steel on a frame to nowhere.

I have a direction that I am heading, but some folks seem to need validation on everything and if they do not understand then it's all just fake.

I certainly would not have posted anything other than whats cooking with the project, except some folks seem to need something.

The custom cats I have seen here were very nice and I have to start with the basics first and then move from there.

My personal life is really nobodies worry, except some folks seem to make it their business.

Once the Weasel is home (under 5 feet of snow) things can progress a lot.

Rebuilding old junk is far easier than starting from scratch.

Thanks Bob for at least asking ?????

Maybe I can concentrate on the project and not have to validate who and what I am from here on out.

I have seen a few folks show up, make a post or two and ask some questions, and they have grand ideas...then poof they are gone.

I had a bit of a set back, but am back in the groove and can get things going the way it needs to.

Without the steering diffy from the Weasel nothing can move far.

Everything at this point can only surround getting the power train ready.

Now lets relax some and let things move forward.

Sorry I can't justify spending big $$$$$ on a junk cat, but most of it would be wasted with what I have planned.

Again...Thanks Bob :smile:

Snowy Rivers

OK

Some real pix of important things.

Pix of the Weasel taken this fall.

The diffy and the LH sprocket.

Should be easy to fab a good solid framework to hold the diffy in the location needed.

I will post pix of the retrieval when we head out and the loading and such.

Should be a fairly easy go to coax it onto the car hauler.

Attachments

• Weasel1.jpg
    Weasel1.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 509
  • weasel2.jpg
    weasel2.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 503

Snowy Rivers

OK troops.

At present things are about as far as we can go until we head to get the Weasel, so unless something fantastic happens I will likely not be posting anything much on this thread.

I will try to get plenty of pics of the Weasel trip to share with ya.

I have to be honest.... I am not nearly as excited about road trips as I used to be..

Be safe...:thumbup:

Snowy Rivers

Well, the snow depth at Weasel ground zero is at about 6 feet, so no joy any time soon.

Getting the trailer ready for the long trip.

Tires were all pretty old on my car hauler (new in 1982)

Got a much newer set of tires sitting in the shop now and will get them mounted in the next few days.

I do not want to deal with blowouts along the freeway...not even.

Keep ya updated as stuff happens...

Snowy Rivers

Not much happening folks.

The snow is still piling up at the Weasel location..

Here it is the middle of APRIL and its still COLD here

In preparation for the haul I got the much needed tires/wheels for the car hauler all mounted and ready to go on.

Probably get those on the trailer in the next few days.

Hurry up and wait

Snowy Rivers

UPDATE

Things are set to get the weasel over Memorial day weekend.

I will get pics of the trip

Snowy Rivers

Updated yesterday...

Weasel recovery has been bumped up to the 19th...

The owner had conflicts for the holiday, and so the change.

Keep ya posted

Snowy Rivers

Well...sort of good news.

I was cruising online and stumbled across a complete NEW OLD STOCK ring and pinion set for the Weasel rear axle.

Still in the cosmoline grease and box from 1945

Deal was good enough that I could not pass on it.

May not need it, but it has value later on as trading stock for sure..

Snowy Rivers

Quick update.
No good news.

We spent several hours driving to look at the Weasel...

After chatting for a few minutes with the owner I decided to check the axle over.

Grabbed the pinion yoke and could not budge it.

I had a few tools along with us so grabbed a large pipe wrench and still no go on turning the pinion.

Decided to remove the oil plug on the front and LOTTSSA water poured out along with much rusty goop.

Chatted a few more minutes and left the Weasel right there in the dirt.

STILL LOOKING FOR A DIFFY FOR THE PROJECT.

Back on the hunt.

TIRED after driving all day... OH well, that's the way it goes.

Will update when something pops up.

still think this is a fake post----------dude there is a lot of stuff to buy out there-----grab an old packmaster there cheap and all over the country------come on dude how could that guy not tell u it was junk and set up------really---u have been talking about the big build for how long---?---and u only have a junk chevy van your driving------------u talk about your household crap going bad ----btw we all go through it-------------again this has to be a fake post---------one of my airplanes was flipped over in a wind storm ---iam still playing with my cats and will be posting pics. of my next sno cat build/project--------------------------lol just sayin

Bombi1

GOLD Site Supporter

More nasty comments from Mr. Wonderful (top welder)

Snowy Rivers

You have got to be the most insensitive clown I have met so far.

I have a specific plan and it does not include a buttload of money.

I love digging up great deals that can be had for minimal $$$$ outlay.

I have invited you to join us at THE DIESEL PAGE and you can verify pretty much who I am.
I have not seen you drop by at the page....

You seem to be quite intent on sitting behind your computer calling smack down on whatever dies not suit you.

I have received some PM's from others that were/are not really pleased with your attitude.

Straighten up and fly right... be a decent sort.

I'm terribly sorry that I don't have a metric buttload of money and airplanes to let the wind blow around..

Relax dude...

C'mon over to the page and maybe you will see the truth about things.

I will not engage you in a pissy fit name calling go round.

I always make polite comments about other folks project.

Give it a rest...

Snowy Rivers

It would seem so...

If this fella has money drizzling down his pants leg I am seriously happy for him..
Really I am, but I have to live on a tight monthly budget and that's a hard fact.

I buy and sell used goodies to pay for my projects.

Recently bought a Chevy NP203 transfer case for $50 and turned it for $250...

A little here, a little there..

The comment about the seller not knowing anything about the Weasel is just a sad deal.

The guys father had several and got old and they had to sell the estate...
The seller lives as far away as I do and was quite gracious to have us haul the beast off and drove to meet us..

The new owners of the property could care less about Weasels and were indifferent about it's demise.

I am sad that the diffy was a mess, but after sitting in the weather open to the elements it does not surprise me that it had gathered water.

I am not discouraged, just not real happy.

Been waiting all winter to get my hands on that diffy.

Without the GO BOX things sit at a stand still.

Other than fixing the vans little issues.

The rig will make a great cat once a diffy can be found at a price that's affordable.

I am at a loss as to what is to be gained by calling smack down on another persons project..

We all have dreams and go after making things come together...

Just being able to write the check or toss down the cold hard green for a CAT is just no fun in my book.

If that's all you can do I guess that's fine, but to belittle others goals and dreams is just not cool.

I am 66 years old now and just don't have much patience with the BS.

I have always been polite with everyone here, and will continue to be that way.

I am sorry for anyone who just feels the need to go to such lengths to rag on stuff they know little about.

Hey...
Thanks for the comment.

I will keep digging and looking for a decent diffy for the project...

Keep the faith bro...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I think it’s safe to say that you don’t need to explain yourself. This is not a forum for debate. We have a debate area if you want to do that. This is an area for you to discuss your project. If someone doesn’t like it, like your progress, or anything else, that is their problem.

Rivers,

Have you thought about an automotive axle brake diff steer? I understand its operation is far from ideal, but you might find that it might be suitable for your projects budget?

I respect your patience and tenacity for trying to resurrect an old clark differential though!

An old quote from RG Letourneau that usually gets me through designers hell; "Better a decent machine in the field working than a perfect one still on the drawing board".

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

I plus one on the Highway based diff.... grab a rockwell out of an old IH or dana 60,70 and slap some substantial brakes on it. It will turn. there was a forum member who retrofitted an astro van with thiokol 2100 running gear and dana 60's he was in utah.

I have been giving the frandee design (two differentials) some thought and the constant track tension is kind of a cool design, it relieves the stress on the front wheels and as topwelder says the grousers are not moving while on the ground.

easy enough to fab it in there a bit further back (for now) then when you score a sw 48, OC 12 or weasel diff, the track length could be correct with the proper diff located a bit forward....
forum nuttster (sp) relocated a diff in an imp in this manner.....

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter

the frandee design is a good one, works well and is cheaper way to make a snow cat that goes good in the snow. I watched the frandee at mccall own the mountain.

Snowy Rivers

Thanks troops for the ideas and patience.

I have given thought to the idea of using a regular highway diffy for the reasons you mentioned.

Yesssssssssss.. a working unit in the field is far better than the best ideas still on the drawing board that are unrealized :thumbup:

I am still hoping to find a planetary type steering box.

The one thing about the VAN chassis is that it contains all (most) of the mechanical's, the creature comforts and the rest is actually simple.

I have been getting the odds and ends that needed fixing on the Van taken care of while the hunt of a suitable diffy continues.

I won't bore y'all with the gory details, but I want the chassis to function as closely to AS NEW as I can get.

The actual fab work on the cat chassis is very simple so when a diffy plan comes together I can jump on it.

Chatting with Pine stumps about his machine and the track design he has.

Looks quite promising...

Heavy industrial belting is readily available USED and can easily be tailored to fit the need.

I may turn my diffy search to the small crawler tractor arena and see what can be scared up.

Around here the amount of used snow cats are minimal at best, and when you do find something it's either total scrap, or a fairly decent machine that's big $$$$$

To the end that I wish to attain, buying a used Packmaster or other retired machine is still very cost ineffective and cost prohibitive as the bulk of the machine will end up as scrap after I get a usable diffy and a few parts.

This applies around here based on availability of stuff to buy..

Just had a thought....

A Ford 9 inch rear axle is an easy score and are hell for stout.
4.88 gears are an easy score as well (Weasel used 4.88 gears)

The Ford diffy is not extremely heavy (Weight thing)

I am thinking about a planetary hub for each side ????

Use a Spool in the main diffy and control the steering with the hubs ????

I had not given that idea a thought, but maybe this could be a solution.

I will do some snooping...

Snowy Rivers

Did a few calcs and looked up some diffy housing width info...

We used to build sand buggies to play over at the coast (I am 50 miles from plenty of sand)

We used 9 inch Ford diffy's (Usually) and plumbed up the brakes to individual cylinders for steering while climbing and sharp turns in the deep soft sand.

A herky set of 3/4 or 1 ton disc brakes off any of the later pickups and fit them with some nasty ceramic pads should make the beast turn.

I never really gave much thought to this plan of attack.

But after seeing the post by Redsqwrl I got to thinking...

Been many times in my years past that I have had a rear brake on a rig get greasy and grab sending the rig into another lane of traffic.

Some bad Azz disc brakes will no doubt make the beast turn.

Far more economical plan maybe..

I spotted an "N" Series 9 inch Ford center section with 4.10 gears locally for cheap.

That one is a 28 spline.

This set up may not be quite as maneuverable at real slow speeds but should do fine as long as the rig is in motion.

One things for sure is that parts are readily available.

This plan definitely fits my idea of re purposing readily available items.

The Tucker used basically an automotive diffy, but they articulated the assembly.....

Thanks much for the ideas.