Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat History, Articles, Manuals, Brochures & Recollections Forum

Snowcat History, Articles, Manuals, Brochures & Recollections Forum Publications, specifications, production information for snow cats

Old 04-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Bronze Member

socal4t12 is on a distinguished road
Default Old Nat Geo article about Tuckers in Oregon

Surfing around I found 2 very cool documents out there. You might have to copy and paste the links into your address bar.

One is from the Nov 1949 National Geographic. Its a story about the Snow Survey being done via TUCKER snowcats, all in one shot! 500+ miles over 22 days from California to Washington. Very cool pictures.

http://ngm-beta.nationalgeographic.c...-snow-survey/#

Second is an article about a guy in the survey office cleaning out some old files and coming across the original article, paperwork, and photos. The history almost got thrown out!

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/...1920060508.pdf

This made me to wonder,,,,,what exactly happened to the 2 original cats and trailers supplied for the expedition? Maybe someone at Tucker could provide a bit more history of this event and the missing machines.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to socal4t12 For This Useful Post:
humpmaster (06-26-2014), Kristi Kt-4 (04-19-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Bronze Member

akmountaineer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Old Nat Geo article about Tuckers in Oregon

Interesting. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Bronze Member

nikos is on a distinguished road

Under these harsh conditions, both machines still were able to average 3.2 miles per gallon in fuel consumption.

too much to drink
What they had loaded in the trailer. An oil rig

Regards Nikos
Old 04-21-2014, 07:38 PM
Bronze Member

NorCal is on a distinguished road

Hey Socal, I have one of the Tuckers in that trip, After the Cascade trip it was then sold to the City of San Francisco for more snow pack survey up in Yosemite Valley at Hetch Hetchy reservoir. It was then sold to a gentleman here in Northern Cali where he used it to access his winter cabin, then sat for 40+ years in a barn till I got it. I got her running and moving but have not had the snow to really try it out. Search the forums for 1949 Tucker it should show up, My photobucket account is not working right now..
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2e11d7fd.jpg

Thanks Norcal
1975 Snow Trac ST4 #1948
1949 Tucker Sno Cat Model 524 Now in Tuckerville!!
Vintage VW's & Snowmobiles
Old 04-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Bronze Member

tom is on a distinguished road

whats the trick to getting the first link to open? It loads but shows nothing
Old 04-22-2014, 11:42 PM
Bronze Member

Huh, don't know the trick. It's a big article, so it might take time. Worked fine in my computer. Try going to the Nat Geo site and searching Nov 1949. It will come up after you join the beta version so you can read all the articles for free.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:48 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
Hey Socal, I have one of the Tuckers in that trip, After the Cascade trip it was then sold to the City of San Francisco for more snow pack survey up in Yosemite Valley at Hetch Hetchy reservoir. It was then sold to a gentleman here in Northern Cali where he used it to access his winter cabin, then sat for 40+ years in a barn till I got it. I got her running and moving but have not had the snow to really try it out. Search the forums for 1949 Tucker it should show up, My photobucket account is not working right now..
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2e11d7fd.jpg

Thanks Norcal

Very cool. Did you know about the article? I'm glad that the history is still out there. Maybe there is some info on the cats running into Yosemite out there to be found. Maybe you should think about making the survey run again for Oregon this year. It would be a great story for the 65th anniversary of the article.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:46 AM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,177 Times in 453 Posts
sno-drifter is on a distinguished road

Hey NorCal,

Very cool that you have the cat that is in the article. I have one that looks like the other one. '46 What I can't understand is why it is a 500 machine? Do you know the ser. no. of the 443 that you show with it? That is a very early 443.

Forget making that trip this year, there is not enough snow. I did about half of that trip in 1980's.during a big snow year. Also, part of that trip is on a highway that now is plowed all winter.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:07 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4t12 View Post
Very cool. Did you know about the article? I'm glad that the history is still out there. Maybe there is some info on the cats running into Yosemite out there to be found. Maybe you should think about making the survey run again for Oregon this year. It would be a great story for the 65th anniversary of the article.
Yes I bought a copy of the mag on Ebay on researched the heck out of it last year. I have a friend that has a friend that works for the park service in Yosemite and has been looking thru old archive photos for snow cat pics but nothing yet.... I got to hand it to the men that did that Cascade journey back then, especially the guys hand digging a sidehill slope, I could not imagine that the skis up front would sidehill very good.
1975 Snow Trac ST4 #1948
Old 04-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Bronze Member

Not sure how they came up with the 500 series on this one, have not been able to find another one alike....

1975 Snow Trac ST4 #1948
Old 06-26-2014, 11:07 PM
Banned

humpmaster is on a distinguished road

stupid, national geographic site and I have to have face book to view! that sucks i wont do face book so guess I dont get to look at that, funny my grandpa is in the 1976 book so kind of depressing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4t12 View Post
Surfing around I found 2 very cool documents out there. You might have to copy and paste the links into your address bar.

One is from the Nov 1949 National Geographic. Its a story about the Snow Survey being done via TUCKER snowcats, all in one shot! 500+ miles over 22 days from California to Washington. Very cool pictures.

http://ngm-beta.nationalgeographic.c...-snow-survey/#

Second is an article about a guy in the survey office cleaning out some old files and coming across the original article, paperwork, and photos. The history almost got thrown out!

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/...1920060508.pdf

This made me to wonder,,,,,what exactly happened to the 2 original cats and trailers supplied for the expedition? Maybe someone at Tucker could provide a bit more history of this event and the missing machines.