• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

HISTORY CHANNEL needs to rent a Bombardier for a documentary

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was contacted by someone with this request. I'm posting it for them and will contact them when we get a response.

Seeking 1950's Bombardier "Bug" for filming this coming winter in Northern Ontario

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Wanted: 1950's Bombardier "Bug"

I wonder what model a "Bug" really is?

Maybe a J5? Or maybe a sidewalk plow? Both of those models sort of remind me of a VW Beetle with their rounded top.

Did they have any additional information? Do they want to BUY or LEASE for the 'filming' and is it a movie, TV commercial, etc?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Bob, I would be happy to pass the contact info along to you and you could follow up with them. Okay with you?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

sure

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I'll email it to the email he sent me. Thanks Bob! :tiphat: :thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK folks here is the rest of the information.

The History Channel wants to do some filming of a Bombardier B12 (or similar unit) that is vintage 1950 to 1959. They want to rent a unit, and have the owner on site to help out. They will be filming in Canada so someone with a machine located in Canada would have a big advantage.

Here is some of the correspondence I received. If anyone has a machine that fits their requirements and if you want your machine to become the next 'star' of a History Channel documentary, here is your chance!

We are hoping to film a small movie for tv for the History Channel that dramatises the 1959 construction of the first Ice Road from Yellowknife to Echo Bay NWT by John Denison. We are looking at Thunder Bay and North Bay as potential locations (as we don't want to travel to NWT).

Our research indicates that Denison used what he called a Bombardier 'Bug' to scout the potential route of the 'Ice Road'. It is possible that the actual model was a B-12 (but that's conjecture on my part).

We would expect to rent the machine for two weeks of filming - likely late January 2011 - and hopefully the owner would travel with it to ensure correct operation. We assume that we would need either a flat bed or cube van to transport the vehicle to and from its home.

This is NOT a big Hollywood movie but we would expect to pay a reasonable sum for use; owner's time; transportation; accomodation & meals; gas and oil. The production would insure the vehicle during the rental period.

Happy to answer any other questions (if I can).

Again, very much appreciate you responding to my note and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Sam Jephcott
Toronto
Scott's email is: cyclopscorp @ sympatico.ca (remove the spaces on either side of the "@" sign to make the email address valid)​

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good followup Bob. Very interesting. I hope someone on here can help out, and make a few bucks in the process.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Wish I knew someone in this area with an operational one. Thunder Bay is only a 3 hour drive from me and North bay an 8 hour drive. I do know someone with a few B12's an hour away from me but not sure if any of his machines are operational or not. I know he has 4 of them sitting outside that haven't moved in years but was told he also has an operational one in his garage and keeps the others for parts. Not sure on this though.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i have one 2 blocks down the road from me but the cost of plane tickets and shipping outof nome would kill the deal

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Didn't boggie still have one or did he sell it. He's not too far from thunder bay...maybe an 8 hr drive I think.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I posted this information on the NORTHERN TRACKS forum, which is dedicated to the Bombardier machines and is based in Canada . . . nobody replied!

the old trucker

I posted this information on the NORTHERN TRACKS forum, which is dedicated to the Bombardier machines and is based in Canada . . . nobody replied!

Well Bob it looks like you have a reply from Canada. He is now awaiting a response from them. He has a 1948 Bombardier B12 "woody"
When he finds out anything he'll let me know. His email to me is below...

Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 00:00:09 -0400
Subject: b12
To: popsshed@hotmail.com

Claude,
did you see the inquiries on the forum for B12 for a history channel documentary? I responded with info on my machine, . Sounds like fun!!! See if I get a call.

Last edited:

the old trucker

Wish I knew someone in this area with an operational one. Thunder Bay is only a 3 hour drive from me and North bay an 8 hour drive. I do know someone with a few B12's an hour away from me but not sure if any of his machines are operational or not. I know he has 4 of them sitting outside that haven't moved in years but was told he also has an operational one in his garage and keeps the others for parts. Not sure on this though.

Groomerguy... this fellow that has 4 machines sitting around... would they be B12's or c18's. I know a person interested in restoring a "woody". Can you find out if he would sell one ??

Thanks, OT.

sandybay

Hi I'm new to this forum. Does anyone know if they have found a machine as I live near North Bay and have a narrow and wide body model.

sandybay

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You will need to contact them directly, we only acted as a conduit to help them get the message out to people who may own one.

Send an email to Claude at: popsshed@hotmail.com He is the one who can help get your machine on the documentary!