• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking to buy a B&B in the New England states ??

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I am now active looking for a big old Victorian/ Cape Cod home to turn into a B&B . I would like to be as near to Portsmouth, NH as possible with out being in town . Do we Have any member near there ?
This would be a business venture for me , but my daughter would like to run it .
I'll even look at existing B&B's if the price is right .

My long term plan is to let my daughter live in it and run it and in about 5 - 8 years we would use part( A granny house) of it as a Temporary place to stay when we are in the states .
Idaho can get cold and the last thing I need is to slip on the ice and break a hip as a old guy .

Any hidden pit falls that you know of doing this would be very appreciated .

My daughter loves the New England states and the area around Portsmouth very much . She would like to move from San Diego but needs to have employement or a job lined up before she makes the move . As of now she is a EMT and a supervisor in charge of security with a major resort in SD .
Since she is already in the tourist business , I figured "What the Hell" and decided to just start looking around for her own business to run .

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Before diving into the B&B world you need to investigate a few years worth of local events and attractions. Tourism is the one thing needed to have a successful B&B. College nearby helps as well as ski areas.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Holy cow !!!
These folks are proud of their places in the New England states .
$500,000 - to a million plus .

I think i'll build what i want before paying that amount .
I'll need a Granny house for the little women and myself when we come to stay so it might be easier to just find a big old place with some acreage and do want I want .

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
My suggestion is to locate near one of the high end private schools that are all over NE. you'd have plenty of off season rentals from visiting parents and relatives. Most schools are in tourist towns. eg: Concord Academy, Philips Academy, Deerfield Academy etc Just my 2cents.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Al if you don't stop building things you ain't never going to get that krusty finnished and us snow trac owners may run out of krusty jokes before you get er done

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Al I go up in that area Dover NH area for training every 2 or 3rd year.

We only go off season (read cold as a witches left breast) save on lodging costs for company rates are 1/2 price.
The place is dead no one around.

Last time they were renovating the hotel we were in what a pain in the but.

The areas is nice but it ain't going to be much warmer than in Idaho in my opinion but I've never been to Idaho.

tom

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
My suggestion is to locate near one of the high end private schools that are all over NE. you'd have plenty of off season rentals from visiting parents and relatives. Most schools are in tourist towns. eg: Concord Academy, Philips Academy, Deerfield Academy etc Just my 2cents.

Thats a HELLA GOOD IDEA!
thanks !!!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Holy cow !!!
These folks are proud of their places in the New England states .
$500,000 - to a million plus .

I think i'll build what i want before paying that amount .
I'll need a Granny house for the little women and myself when we come to stay so it might be easier to just find a big old place with some acreage and do want I want .
Be careful BA. The locals don't cotton to outsiders coming in and setting up new ventures in the B&B

Back in 1990's, my wife and I looked into it on Cape Ann MA. Found a lovely old plantation style home right on the Cape. Porches onthe second floor went all the way around the place. Views of the harbor and the town. Vacant for over a year and priced right for a family. We had stayed nearby many times at several B&B's, loved the area, and had decided to do it. The city council put everything they could in the way of a "new" B&B. Costs were enormous. Local resistance from the natives was down right unhospitable.

After about six months, we gave the idea up, for that area anyways.

If you are looking into New England, buy an existing if you can. It will be an uphill fight otherwise. Unless you have roots there. That changes things a bit.

One thing about New England. If you are not from there, you will never be "from" there. Your kids will not be "from there." Lovely place though.

That said, some outsiders have done it with great success. Good luck with your quest.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Be careful BA. The locals don't cotton to outsiders coming in and setting up new ventures in the B&B

Back in 1990's, my wife and I looked into it on Cape Ann MA. Found a lovely old plantation style home right on the Cape. Porches onthe second floor went all the way around the place. Views of the harbor and the town. Vacant for over a year and priced right for a family. We had stayed nearby many times at several B&B's, loved the area, and had decided to do it. The city council put everything they could in the way of a "new" B&B. Costs were enormous. Local resistance from the natives was down right unhospitable.

After about six months, we gave the idea up, for that area anyways.

If you are looking into New England, buy an existing if you can. It will be an uphill fight otherwise. Unless you have roots there. That changes things a bit.

One thing about New England. If you are not from there, you will never be "from" there. Your kids will not be "from there." Lovely place though.

That said, some outsiders have done it with great success. Good luck with your quest.

Wow .:unsure:

Thanks for all the information .

Locals can be really someting sometimes . It took about 6 years to get comfortable in this town and there are still a few assholes who think they are better than me just because they have been here longer .

I usally get involved in the Kids school programs ( Donate goods and Money ) plow out older folks driveways as I go by in the tractor and lend a helping hand when I can on the nieghbors construction projects .Rebuilt the VFW kitchen last year .Built the Memorial Wall for the veterans at the park the year before for the American Legion . That seems to open a lot of doors with the locals and piss off the few who don't like new comers and don't do shit for the community .:w00t2: