• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Buying opportunities in the wake of QE3

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Any out there? Right now, I'm looking at Philip Morris International (PM), Altria (MO), Phillips 66 (PSX), Navios Maritime Holdings (NM) and others, but they're all over bought (thanks for nuthin' Mr. Bernanke).

Sooo .... Anyone got a line on some good deals right now?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
SKF, love it. Great hedge. Moves at least twice the market pace, inversly. But you gotta have a way to get out instantly, or you could loose yer arse big time.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
SKF, love it. Great hedge. Moves at least twice the market pace, inversly. But you gotta have a way to get out instantly, or you could loose yer arse big time.

That's what I'm thinking. Put a limit order on the shares once I own them. Looks like I'll be reading a prospectus or two before the market opens Monday. Any other VIX related ETF's y'all are looking at?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
SKF is the only etf I've ever played with. I think Kirk was going to explore a different ETF by ultrashorts. Don't know if he ever did or not.

FWIW - I learned of ETF's way to late last time. I've made some bucks with SKF, but back when the market crashed, SKF shot up over $1,000. From $250. You can make a ton or loose a ton!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes I have....

It is based on the S&P and is relatively stable for an index based fund, till SHTF anyway. I am down about 5% as of now...But my other holdings are more than making up for it. I still consider it a hedge, and with QE3 I am wondering why I still have it. Except that I believe that sooner or later something will come along and rock the boat, Hard...Europe, the Mid East, or China Japan..It's a volitile world right now. Lots of risks.

Regards, Kirk

Kane

Although most of my value has been in precious metals for a number of years (thank the lord) and the usual mutual funds, I also have a modest defensive sum lurking in SKF, and also in crude oil with another ETF - OLO, which is basically long 2X. I couldn't care less what they do in the short term, but one day ....

If someone knows of a better ETF stock for oil long, let me know.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Well, I went ahead and tried SKF and it's down about 1.5% from my entry point yesterday morning. I'm gonna ride it out though. Q3 earnings reports start coming out soon and I'm thinking they ain't gonna be good (except for geared inverse index funds).

Kane

Well, I went ahead and tried SKF and it's down about 1.5% from my entry point yesterday morning. I'm gonna ride it out though. Q3 earnings reports start coming out soon and I'm thinking they ain't gonna be good (except for geared inverse index funds).
Yeah, SKF is something you buy and just let sit. It's a sleeper waiting for that 100X moment.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Don't watch skf; you will sicken yourself at times. Wait for the market to drop a 1000 points and collect 2to3k!

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Yeah, SKF is something you buy and just let sit. It's a sleeper waiting for that 100X moment.

Well, if THAT happens, I'll be spending a lot more time here, coz I'd be quittin' my job!! Well, maybe not QUIT, but certainly go part time.:w00t2:

Kane

Well, if THAT happens, I'll be spending a lot more time here, coz I'd be quittin' my job!! Well, maybe not QUIT, but certainly go part time.:w00t2:
Well, maybe not a hundred, but the next man-made crisis is gonna' be a doozy.

fidelity-compare-chart-i.img

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm glad I waited (I think). Picked up Altria today at a 12% discount and @ P\E of 13.75. They report their Q3 earnings tomorrow, so we'll see how I did.:unsure:

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Just curious as to what folks who held SKF before the election are doing with it now. I sold mine once I broke even in early November and bought MCD with the proceeds.