• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Online brokerage sites

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I want to start imparting on some kids the awareness of investing. The idea is to get folks to gift $$ contributions to brokerage accounts for the benefit of the these 12 and 13 year olds instead of giving them crap or money that will be gone\worthless inside of 6 months. Hopefully, the kids will take an interest in their investments and be ahead of the learning curve, as far as investing goes. Heck, with a little luck, we might even be able to pay for some college expenses when the time comes.

My thought is to start an online account for each one and put it in the name of an adult as trustee for the kids' benefit. Initially, I expect the $$ contributions to be small, so I'd be buying only a share or two at a time. I'm thinking I need a brokerage service with not a lot of bells and whistles and primarily, low transaction fees\commissions. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I'm also looking for alternative suggestions to achieve the initially stated goal.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have been extremely pleased with Vanguard. I think they would be helpful in setting up what you want. Plenty of research tools, but unless you have a million dollar account, no personal help.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
I have used Etrade for over ten years without a major problem. The type of account that you are talking about would have a 9.99 per transaction fee. They also have some decent on line help.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can't suggest a broker but on a somewhat related note (for your consideration).

For the kids, I like silver.

If you take physical possession of it, it's a tangible item they can see and touch which keeps their interest. Every day, my son wants to check the spot silver price.