• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Shingles Vaccine ==> Damn

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got the Shingles vaccine on Monday morning. I have had all the common side-effects/reactions to the drug listed on the internet.

Seriously, passing a kidney stone is less painful than this vaccine. Every muscle in my body hurts, alternating between shivering and sweating, loss of appetite and nausea. My fingers hurt, the backs of my hands hurt, my palms hurt . . . Its now Wednesday morning and I can barely lift a coffee cup to my mouth. Spent the entire day in bed on Tuesday, spent most of Monday in bed/on the couch. Today will probably be mostly in bed, but I am feeling slightly better. For those of us lucky to get these side affects, they are supposed to last for roughly 3 full days. So I'm hoping to be feeling better tomorrow afternoon???

Just a bit of general advice, if your doctor advocates the Shingles vaccine just administer a quick Throat Punch to your doctor and ask her/him if they still recommend this vaccine. Repeat Throat Punching your doctor until they decide that the vaccine is a bad idea. Ultimately your doctor may be left for dead on the floor and you may need to change doctors, that will cause you less grief than this vaccine.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow!
Sorry to hear about the reaction, Bob.
Was it zostavax?

I've never had chicken pox or shingles.
I'd never get the vaccine either.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PG not sure which of the shingles vaccines I got but I’m miserable. At least today I can stumble my way around the house a little. Still likely to be spending most of the day prone in front of a TV watching crap and moaning.

EDIT ... accordiing to "my chart" on the internet this is what I got:

Shingrix (PF) 50 mcg/0.5 mL Susr injection
Generic name: varicella-zoster gE-AS01B (PF)
Inject 0.5 ml into the muscle once for 1 dose​

So it looks like this is a 2 part vaccine.

Very very very unlikely I will get the 2nd dosage.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think the one part vaccine is supposed to be better.

My Mom has/had shingles. It's worse than what you have described so far. Pick your poison I guess.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I think the one part vaccine is supposed to be better.

My Mom has/had shingles. It's worse than what you have described so far. Pick your poison I guess.

I had shingles in my left ear. It spread to my left eye, my inner ear, and paralyzed the left side of my face. That was 24 years ago. I lost the vision in my eye, lost hearing and picked up a nasty ringing sound and continue to have balance problems.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
My SIL developed shingles while we were all on a family vacation in Tennessee. She was absolutely miserable. When we got home I got the shingles vaccine even though I've never had chicken pox. I never had any problems. Just lucky I guess. Bob, after reading how it affected you I would have severe misgivings about going for the second shot.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doctor just called me.

Said I probably shouldn’t set the 2nd shot.

Honestly I now understand why terminal patients pray to die. I only have 3-4 days of this and during the 2nd day I was ready already giving up. Can’t begin to imagine the dispair of someone diagnosed with a terminal/painful disease. My fingers hurt. And I’m feeling better than I did yesterday. WTF

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Doctor just called me.

Said I probably shouldn’t set the 2nd shot.

Honestly I now understand why terminal patients pray to die. I only have 3-4 days of this and during the 2nd day I was ready already giving up. Can’t begin to imagine the dispair of someone diagnosed with a terminal/painful disease. My fingers hurt. And I’m feeling better than I did yesterday. WTF

My MoM had shingles in the late 70's. Although she didn't enjoy it, sounds like the cure can be worse than the disease. I had chicken pox as a kid. We will see.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I got the 1 shot vaccine I had no side effects but it felt like the doctor drove a nail in to my arm for a week.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Apparently roughly 15% of the people who get the vaccine are temporarily disabled and unable to function normally for 2-4 days. Guess I’m one of the gold ticket winners.

From our reading the vaccine I got, the 2 part vaccine, is more effective than the single shot vaccine

I still recommend throat punching the doctor.

I’m flat on my back, muscle pain everywhere from fingers to feet. Fever, sweats, freezing, shivers, headache, muscle/joint pain, injection site swelling and bruising (and very sore). Calling this miserable is a dramatic understatement.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Got the Shingles vaccine on Monday morning. I have had all the common side-effects/reactions to the drug listed on the internet.

Seriously, passing a kidney stone is less painful than this vaccine. Every muscle in my body hurts, alternating between shivering and sweating, loss of appetite and nausea. My fingers hurt, the backs of my hands hurt, my palms hurt . . . Its now Wednesday morning and I can barely lift a coffee cup to my mouth. Spent the entire day in bed on Tuesday, spent most of Monday in bed/on the couch. Today will probably be mostly in bed, but I am feeling slightly better. For those of us lucky to get these side affects, they are supposed to last for roughly 3 full days. So I'm hoping to be feeling better tomorrow afternoon???

Just a bit of general advice, if your doctor advocates the Shingles vaccine just administer a quick Throat Punch to your doctor and ask her/him if they still recommend this vaccine. Repeat Throat Punching your doctor until they decide that the vaccine is a bad idea. Ultimately your doctor may be left for dead on the floor and you may need to change doctors, that will cause you less grief than this vaccine.

Reading your post today makes me feel better about my response when my doctor suggested it last Monday. Just two days ago.

"Hell No!" did seem a bit over the top but now I feel better about it.

BTW, I have the same issues with the flu shot. I get sick for two days with all the symptoms of having the flu. So, I gave the same answer when asked.

Did I get the flu this winter. Yep. Lasted two days. It cost me nothing

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW, a family friend got the shingles last year, she was in pain for 9 months. She is in her 70's.

A friend of mine got it last year, he had it for 4 months. He is 31 y/o.

I had the two part shots and didn't have any reactions at all.

Bill

My brother told me the same thing.

J5 Bombardier

I had shingles when I was 19 yrs old , maybe a week feeling rough and sensitive skin for a good 6 months. Coincidentally my foreman a man in his forties at the time was bedridden for weeks.
Roll the clock ahead a good 37 years, I'm not sure it would be a week for me to recover this time.
So most kids now have never had chicken pox , due the vaccination . What is the chance they will get shingles ?
J5 Bombardier

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had shingles when I was 19 yrs old . . .
Roll the clock ahead a good 37 years, I'm not sure it would be a week for me to recover this time.
My friend, aged 30, was sick for months. He is an international level competitive saber fencer. Regularly rides a bike 100 miles without giving it a second thought. Competitive local tennis player too. So the guy is healthy and in great physical shape.

I think it some people get mild cases, some get hit with severe cases.

So most kids now have never had chicken pox , due the vaccination . What is the chance they will get shingles ?
J5 Bombardier
Damn good question!?!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
my doc said you have had to have had chicken pox to get shingles
Yep. Shingles are a re-emergence of the chicken pox.
So, you have to have had the pox to get shingles.

My CSR had it some years ago. She was in her thirties. Almost went blind over it. Nothing to mess with. However, there are treatments if you recognize early that the eruption is eminent.

It is a nerve inflammation. So my therapy is to keep myself pickled with a single malt. Yes, it is my universal cure for everything. You got a problem with that?????:boxing:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So yesterday evening, like someone flipped a switch, I was feeling better. Went from miserable to feeling close to normal in about 30 minutes. However, in proper man fashion, I maintained the outward appearance of pain and misery so as to continue to be catered to by the lovely Mrs_Bob.

I plan to slowly improve today, probably be cured shortly after the morning house chores are completed :moon:

In all seriousness, I'm feeling much better this morning. My arms are still somewhat sore, no heavy lifting. But 90% of the pain is gone. Seriously I still recommend a swift throat punch to the doctor's adam's apple to prevent this pain.

Yep. Shingles are a re-emergence of the chicken pox.
So, you have to have had the pox to get shingles.

My CSR had it some years ago. She was in her thirties. Almost went blind over it. Nothing to mess with. However, there are treatments if you recognize early that the eruption is eminent.

It is a nerve inflammation. So my therapy is to keep myself pickled with a single malt. Yes, it is my universal cure for everything. You got a problem with that?????:boxing:
:applause:

my doc said you have had to have had chicken pox to get shingles

But if you get the chicken pox vaccination, then technically they gave you chicken pox. Right? So potentially still at risk for Shingles?

I don't know for sure, but some vaccinations are actually exposure to the exact thing they want to give you immunity to, some are not. Not sure about the Chicken pox vaccine.

I've never had shingles nor the vaccine and I'm 82, a friend in a weak moment did the shingrex a couple months ago and she is into 2 months of horrible side effects.... Injecting toxins into my body in any way is not a healthy route as I see it.

What she is doing now to keep the side effects manageable is taking Oscillo homeopathic about every day....keeps her sane.

I use "calming" supplements to keep my body out of stress mode....my favorite is Inositol and a friend really likes L-Theanine for her body.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm digging up a thread from this summer but vaccines are in the news so this might be a bit relevant. My doctors (2 of them) advised me to NOT get the 2nd dose of the Shingles Vaccine after my reaction to the vaccine's first dose. They said that the 2nd dose would be as bad as the first, possibly worse.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
In the last month I have had my flu shot and my second pneumonia shot. I didn't have a problem with either. My arm was a little tender for one day. When I get my COVID shot I should be damned near bullet proof.

The only vaccination that I can remember having a problem with was the smallpox vaccination when I was a kid. My left arm was swollen, hurt like hell and hung useless by my side for 2 weeks before it started to get better. Since smallpox was wiped out I don't think that they bother with that one anymore.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Ya know Bob that things happen in three's, I don't want to jinx you but with the table saw incident you are on #2 of self inflicted injuries.;)