• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Why I hate HOME DEPOT for tool and material purchases

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So I actually buy a reasonable amount of stuff from Home Depot, but damn they can be frustrating.

CEDAR GENERATOR SCREEN:
The lovely Mrs_Bob wants me to build a screen to hide the generator. It will be cedar, requires a special tool from KREG. Ok, I'm always up for buying a new tool. So off to the Home Depot website I go.

Kreg K5 tool ... "free shipping to home" with delivery in 3-4 days
Kreg 1.25" screws ... "free shipping to store" available in 14 days???
Kreg 2.5" screws ... "free shipping to store" available in 14 days???
Ryobi Bluetooth Speaker ... "not available on-line, call store for availability"

So I ordered the K5 tool with free shipping from Home Depot.
I ordered the screws from Amazon, at a lower price, with free 2 day shipping.
I ordered the speaker set for my patio from an on-line refurbished tool dealer at a bigger discount.

FAMILY ROOM PATIO PROJECT:
We are looking to rebuild one of our patios with some paver stones. I'll need 3 pallets of pavers, some sand, some special joint sand, a concrete saw, some additional accessories.

$49 shipping for the 3 pallets of pavers from Home Depot. I'm OK with that.
The joint sand ships free in 14 days.
The tool ships free in 3-4 days.
Some of the accessories are not available for shipping and must be picked up in store.
Some of the others have an additional shipping fee charge.

WTF?

It is like they are chasing customers away and sending us to alternative stores.

Bannedjoe

I'm noticing inconsistencies and stupidity as well.
But then again, I always have.

Things they should have many of on hand are limited with unknown dates on restock.

This round?
Stucco cement.

We needed about (50) 80 pound bags.

We bought out our closest store (50 miles) with 20 bags, they had no idea when more would be in, so we had to go to the next store (80 miles) for the rest.
The closest store wouldn't take an order over the phone (against store policies) so in order to prepay for it to make sure it would be there when we arrived, I had to do it online.

The further store was more than happy to take my order over the phone.

I wanted it on a pallet so it would be easy to unload with a tractor.
The closer store charged me like $18 for a pallet (returnable) the further store just gave them to us.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
You might get lucky and get your Amazon purchase sooner than 1 week. Lately it has been 2-3 WEEKS for my deliveries. I've stopped buying from Amazon - the shipping delays are way too long.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i ordered a second PTZ camera from amazon and sunba changed it from the overseas to local when buying. it speeded delivery up by several weeks because amazon has preference on medical supplies and it slows thing up.
a lowes store is the nearest so i shop at it. if you ask and they check inventory you can find what you need.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW, I'm getting Amazon deliveries in 2-4 days.

I'm getting Home Depot deliveries about every full moon.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Amazon is prioritizing their shipping. If you order food or something for your well being, it'll come quickly. If you order something like parts for a bicycle or toys, they're pushing those down in shipping priority.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Amazon is prioritizing their shipping. If you order food or something for your well being, it'll come quickly. If you order something like parts for a bicycle or toys, they're pushing those down in shipping priority.

I got pool skimmer 'socks' in less than 48 hours. Ditto some other pool parts. That is normal for me. But perhaps because there is a giant Amazon warehouse an hour away?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I stopped my Prime last year because even with Prime it was taking a week to get most things. It was about 1-2 weeks for most things without Prime. These days it's unusable.

It's probably good. I shouldn't be supporting Amazon anyways.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is normal for me. But perhaps because there is a giant Amazon warehouse an hour away?
That will do it. ;)
I just ordered a couple new American flags and a bag of dog food. It'll be here in under 48 hours. Sometimes, I get it the next day because I too have a local warehouse.