• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

pistenbully axle addition

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got 35 more hours on my meter last season and started my pimping project.
I wanted to improve on the flotation that it doesn't have. So the new axle should get me 3ft on each side.
I have it at a shop now.

First I let the wife learn to drive it. Graded driveway in rear.

DSC00097.jpg

New Pb axle

DSC00078-1.jpg

DSC00099.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

winched on the trailer and headed to the shop.

DSC00115.jpg

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
slow process. the shop has its priorities .They had me pull the hydraulic tank and cap all the hoses.
Cutting soon I hope.
Red line shows the area.
DSC00538cut.jpg

DSC00540.jpg

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
what is the current psi? What will the psi be after mod? I am interested as a local just purchased a trooper. he and rocky mtn power have the same cat and same problem. to the point of having a tucker pull them out lol.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
my canyon floats like a bulldozer. never weighed it . book has 4850lbs but i have steel over aluminum tracks ,blade and 600lb cabin. Manual has .544 psi
i'll gain 3ft on each side.
You said same cat,was that a trooper?

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
my canyon floats like a bulldozer. never weighed it . book has 4850lbs but i have steel over aluminum tracks ,blade and 600lb cabin. Manual has .544 psi

Yes they both have troopers. RMP has a utility box on back that is huge and heavy. The local has a big passenger cabin.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Given this info. you would need 10,000 sq. in. which means if the tracks are 36 in. wide, each track would be 139 inches long. Need more axles and 40 acres to turn around.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I haven't got to try it out in real deep soft snow yet, but my 2100 on fresh snow doesn't seem to sink much deeper than my snot trac and Brutis weighs in at 9 k .

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am having a large local shop extend it and mount the axle. then it will be finished at home. hoses,tracks,cabin mounts at home by me.
do you need a name?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope this works out for you Jim. Looks like the right shop for the job as well!

Not sure the Snow Trac won't still be better in the deep stuff though. Light weight is the key to them....

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
welding starts today. I should have it home the first of the week. then I extend the hoses , paint ,build tracks section, mount cabin
DSC00594.jpg

DSC00591.jpg

DSC00592.jpg

Last edited:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
got it in before any rust started. with our dry weather it never got wet.
I plan on getting a good measure on track length so I can order grousers and belt.
so putting one track on is the next step.
I don't want to be caught waiting on parts.
I want to have it running by the end of November.
jim

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
coming together slowly . got the last of the new hoses yesterday. original ones were 3ft.
DSC00641.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that look on your face you must have received the bill for the new hoses. to have those built here would be over a grand so smile a bit.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was talking to the pistenbully parts girl and she mentioned that the factory replacement stock hoses are $500.
that picture is just for one side.
jim

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was talking to the pistenbully parts girl and she mentioned that the factory replacement stock hoses are $500.
that picture is just for one side.
jim

Are those 6 wire braid hoses?

Yup they are pricey. I have several on a 4WD hydrostat sprayer that were in the $800 apiece range. I know from the factory it was considerably more. My price was from a local hydrolic shop.

Lookin good! Snow tonight in the midwest. I have yet to start harvest. 3 inches of rain this week...

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
not sure but am thinking they are the heavy ones.
all hoses are in .hydro tank tank was set in place and stopped for the day.5:30pm

smell of buring leaves/grass in the air. found out when I entered the house it was a pizza I have cooking in the oven since 12 noon. 400 degrees kind of black.
it wasn't a good one anyway.
bad part was wife found it when she got home at 6pm. I am blaming it on a new oven. 6 hours at 400 .
good thing she is going to be at her sisters this weekend in Idaho. House needs airing out.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, definitely seems like a worthwhile idea to put into works, extra flotation is always good...

During the 1450 rebuilt, I've decided to go an extra 1ft or possibly more in my length as well...

I'm sure you'll be happy!!!

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
like a kid at Christmas today. got a call and 600lbs of track parts are about to be shipped from Utah.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
adding belts and grousers . 6.5 ft on each side.

f71040de-e964-4e34-9244-ef88385784ad.jpg

DSC00672.jpg

I also should get an award for the messy shop.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I chose to pull the track up as I added grousers rather than bend over. missing track holes in the belt were punched through the grouser. slow going ,my torque wrench doesn't lock and keeps moving. 15 -17 lbs torque to prevent smashing the cords. goodyear belt 3 ply. two new belts and 2 that were cut off the outside when I narrowed it. missing laceing on top outside belt is ordered. I mixed belts old and new. This one has inner and outside new. Next side i'll do it correctly put both new in the inner.
while track is off I am replacing all oil with synthetic. rear planetary drive was over filled and am surprised it didn't leak from pressure.
0ca15363-7a7d-4ada-b212-3f5c71479bb6.jpg

I am also adding a FUMOTO OIL DRAIN VALVE to help in the next engine oil change.

Last edited:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking good! See you folks are getting some snow in the high terrain. You will like the extra float when it gets deep.:clap:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got some good help on the tracks yesterday and he even wants to be back today.
I will be in for prostrate removal soon and he wants the thing done. He is worried I'll be out turning wrenched when I shouldn't.this guy is a veteran from working on tracked rigs in nam.
He has his own st4 .
I expect snow in the lower hills for thanks giving. So that has been my deadline since june.

jask

Jim... I hope your prostate surgery goes well and wish you a quick recovery. Good to hear you have an extra set of hands to speed the work along! I will look forward to seeing some pics of you guys getting out with your machines.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
before and after. almost ready for the Leavenworth jamboree.
I "hope" to get it on a scale Monday and figure out the PSI on the tracks.
DSC01717-3.jpg

DSC00683.jpg

rear cabin mounts are not built yet . you can see straps holding the cabin down on a 2x4. cabin hinges up with a hydraulic jack to do engine work and the new hinge placement is presenting a slight problem.

Last edited: