Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat History, Articles, Manuals, Brochures & Recollections Forum

Snowcat History, Articles, Manuals, Brochures & Recollections Forum Publications, specifications, production information for snow cats

Old 10-24-2016, 07:19 PM

Alaska Jay is on a distinguished road
Default Snow-Trac Titling?

Anyone ever attempt to get their Snow-Trac titled and road legal?

I just had a chat with an inspector at the local DMV and she said that it can be done, if I can find information from the manufacturer stating that the machine complied with US federal safety standards of the time it was manufactured.

Anyone know if such a thing exists? I know it appears to have been intended for public road use due to the license plate light, turn signals, etc. I figure I'll look through the manual to see if it has any such information. Beyond there, I figured this was the best place to ask.

Not fully sure why I want to obtain a title. I guess maybe just for an additional layer of legitimacy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alaska Jay For This Useful Post:
night-owl (10-25-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 10:22 PM
Bronze Member

PJL is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Snow-Trac Titling?

My guess it would depend greatly upon each state. In Washington it could be titled and tagged as an off road vehicle.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:02 AM
Bronze Member

JimVT is on a distinguished road

I have seen a couple that still had working blinkers.
#185 snow trac
2004 pistenbully canyon
Old 10-25-2016, 12:14 PM
Bronze Member

jask is on a distinguished road

Here in B.C. titling is no problem, it is now mandatory for all off road vehicles.
Getting a permit for road use is almost impossible, but under a special permit ( MV1815 ) with a restricted plate you can have limited on road operations, and sometimes have the local police issue a special permit that will allow you restricted operations on low speed roadways, the same way they insure and plate commercial bobcats and forklifts etc.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:53 PM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

snow tracs fall under the same restrictions as farm equipment and heavy equipment such as loaders you can use roads with low speeds for limited times you must have a flashing light and smv triangle. mine is operated all the time on the road. the state of Alaska doesn't title offroad vehicles the to register recreational vehichles.
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Old 10-25-2016, 04:45 PM
Bronze Member

undy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jay View Post
Anyone ever attempt to get their Snow-Trac titled and road legal?

I just had a chat with an inspector at the local DMV and she said that it can be done, if I can find information from the manufacturer stating that the machine complied with US federal safety standards of the time it was manufactured.

Anyone know if such a thing exists? I know it appears to have been intended for public road use due to the license plate light, turn signals, etc. I figure I'll look through the manual to see if it has any such information. Beyond there, I figured this was the best place to ask.

Not fully sure why I want to obtain a title. I guess maybe just for an additional layer of legitimacy.
First, what year snowcat are you talking about? Then, get that in writing from the DMV. Prior to '68, there were "federal motor vehicle safety standards" (FMVSS). (IIRC, they are found in Title49 US Code?) I'm not sure of any other federal standards, but here in Wis. state law required certain equipment before then. I'd guess AK is similar. So you should check into any older state laws. My guess is, if your cat is pre-'68, any AK equipment requirements will be minimal, like headlamps, tail, brake and directional lights, wipers and defrost, mirrors, etc. Probably a seat belt, if the original vehicle had 'em.

Good luck.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Bronze Member

JimVT is on a distinguished road

If you do it in wa. when you title it and show the purchase price expect to pay a sales tax and other fees.
I had the option to do it with one of my cats and chose not to.
#185 snow trac
2004 pistenbully canyon