Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum

Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum Snowcat Repairs, Parts Inquiries, Sources, Problems & Advice

Old 03-17-2011, 08:19 AM

Birch Boy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Skidozer 302

Looking forward to the pictures of your restoration. I am doing the same thing this summer. I think the toughest thing is going to be the dis & re assembly of the tracks because I need to replace a bunch of the tire guides and a good number of the nuts/bolts that hold the grousers on the trackr. I also need to weld/patch up a few of the aluminum grousers. This track work looks tiresome.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:50 PM

swixb is on a distinguished road

update: have engine running, have removed all wheels and adjucted spindle angles on most, a few were welded in place, so played musical axels, and am as close as I'll get to th progressive pattern. have sanded the rust off one side, and repainted. Have designed the cab extention, and will start building that in a few weeks. have some pic's I'll post in a few days. Rewireing this will be a challenge, but it is required.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:16 PM

cab extended, raised 14" to allow for a average person to be able to stand in the back...
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Bronze Member

300 H and H will become famous soon enough

That is going to make you a nice snow cat! I have alot of repect for the old ski dozers, having put in my share of stick time. Well built, sturdy machine if used as intended.... Love the cab extension, great work so far!

Regards, Kirk
Snow trac ST4 #267
Old 12-05-2011, 08:36 AM

RE: 302 Skidozer. I need another driver sproket. I am sending one to Fall Line to get refurbished but I need another one. Doesn't have to be in good shape as I can get it refurhished as well.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Bronze Member

snowbird is on a distinguished road

I like what you're doing to modify your passenger space. I'm just now getting in touch with our local search and rescue folks with a proposal to volunteer bringing my SkiDozer to snowbound emergency situations and I've forwarded a copy of your design to them. I'm think cold and/or injured folks might want to be in that enclosed area.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:37 AM

How wide is a strecher & how long? My rear door is a bit small, only 30" wide...
Have sides all built out with 30x60 windows and access panels that flop open to reach into the compartments under the bench seats. Fuel, tools, gear...
planning on wraping it in red .040 alum skin in early Jan.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Bronze Member

snowbird is on a distinguished road

I'm now on the search and rescue resource list. I think I'll make a square tube frame for the rear of the SkiDozer and cover it with tarp material with a rear door and some windows. Good thought to make the door big enough for a stretcher! I plan on a heater for that area also.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:01 PM

Good job on the machine. If I remember from earlier pictures I think you had 3 rubber pieces on your track with the drive sprocket on the outer drive space. You might consider spreading your grousers and adding a 4th rubber section. I have 4 sections on my 302 and even with that additional floatation and grip I can still bury it on a good incline and it would be awlful if you can't get to the location of an emergency.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:46 PM

makes it 12' wide though...and then you cannot transport it w/o pilot cars..
plan on running mine with three belts, 2 in 1 out with a wheeled guide rail inside to support the saging. see how it does in the Colorado powder....
I bought a dual fan heater from a RV, should crank out some heat. got to love eBay.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:33 PM

Pic of the 302HD almost fully wrapped in .040 red alum skin. still need to cut out the 6 factory windows and the rear door. The large side cutouts are for a 60x30 window on each side and access panels under them. Fuel on one side and general storage on the other.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 AM

Been a long time coming...but it is finally starting to get close...
put one track on...then unrolled the other only to find is was in much worse shape than the other, had a bunch of track guides bent/smashed. Wonder if it was run with a flat tire? I have removed them and welded on new guides.
The problem i now have is cracked Alum grousers, some of the inner square grousers are cracked. Was wondering if anyone has slid steel inside the ~1"x.75" hole to give the alum grouser additional strength right where the drive cog applies pressure? Build a internal steel bridge?
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 AM

I replaced the square tube aluminum with square tube steel and it worked well. I turn the grousers around where necessary but my tracks are wider and not symmetrical with respect to the drive line.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Tracked Evolution Central

MNoutdoors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swixb View Post
Been a long time coming...but it is finally starting to get close...
put one track on...then unrolled the other only to find is was in much worse shape than the other, had a bunch of track guides bent/smashed. Wonder if it was run with a flat tire? I have removed them and welded on new guides.
The problem i now have is cracked Alum grousers, some of the inner square grousers are cracked. Was wondering if anyone has slid steel inside the ~1"x.75" hole to give the alum grouser additional strength right where the drive cog applies pressure? Build a internal steel bridge?

Those aluminum cleats are no longer available we have thought about producing
Them but the demand is not there to justify the tooling costs. The last time they
We're available they were over 100.00 ea.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:16 PM

update...the Skidozer is up and running. Plan on keeping it in Montezuma CO this winter to run up to "Little Alaska" a nice ridge to hit some deep Colorado powder.
I insalled a pusher fan for the main radiator and mounted the trans and rear diff coolers in the tub with their own dual fans. figure that aught to keep it cool. I also installed factory EFI on the 460, now it will run at 7-12k and keep the proper fuel/air ratios.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:14 AM

Great news. I look forward to seeing some pics of the finished product and how it takes to the powder with your track set up. Keep me posted.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:06 PM
Bronze Member

undy is on a distinguished road

Swixb,

Nice Cat!

Montezuma! Below A-Basin and behind Keystone? I lived in Silverthorne for a while, back in the late '80's, and worked at Antlers. We dropped off the top of A-Basin down that way a few times.

So, any chance you ever take riders? I've got a pair of HellBents that have yet to see deep powder. Best they've done is about knee-high at Mt. Bohemia so far. I hope to be in Winter Park (Mary Jane) later this season.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:49 PM

Yes. Entry fee is a five gal can of gas and a sixpac of good beer. The goal is to run it on Saturdays Feb through April. Will see how it goes. have a few things left to do on it..just takes time and money!
Old 12-16-2014, 07:53 AM
Bronze Member

undy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swixb View Post
Yes. Entry fee is a five gal can of gas and a sixpac of good beer. The goal is to run it on Saturdays Feb through April. Will see how it goes. have a few things left to do on it..just takes time and money!
Sounds more than fair!

Out of curiosity, is that public land north (I think it's Swan Mt.) open for snowcat use? We used to camp there years ago, but the last time we stopped the camping had been disallowed.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:56 AM

clairpierce is on a distinguished road

I am building a sv300, doing the same build as you. I would like to know more about how you did your track guide on the inside of the track for sag and is it needed. pics would be great. thanks Clair