Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum

Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum Snowcat Repairs, Parts Inquiries, Sources, Problems & Advice

Old 01-24-2011, 11:03 AM

Birch Boy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Skidozer 302

look for permits for 9 ft 7 inches wide. Might save you time and hassle. I am running 53 inch tracks on mine with 2 steel slide clips on each grouser and even on a 45 degree pitch it is clawing like hell to get up..... well 45 degrees is pretty steep :o). Anyway too things to think of... one is that if you don't have those slide slip clips on the track then coming down a steep hill can be scarey. When the machine starts to slip on the slope you need to step on the gas and steer like hell to keep the nose downhill.... found that out this weekend. The other is to ask that guy for the belts he cut off so you can use them in the powder.
Really good purchase price. 1st gear has lots of grunt. I've gone up a hill so steep that it buried itself in the snow still spinning the track. 15mph is about as fast as you would want to go (and maxing out the rpm)... personally I run it in 1st speed up the hills at around 3-3500 rpm... doing maybe around 3mph.
Nope on the transfer case - juse a C 6 trany
Old 01-24-2011, 12:43 PM

longbed454 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch Boy View Post
look for permits for 9 ft 7 inches wide. Might save you time and hassle. I am running 53 inch tracks on mine with 2 steel slide clips on each grouser and even on a 45 degree pitch it is clawing like hell to get up..... well 45 degrees is pretty steep :o). Anyway too things to think of... one is that if you don't have those slide slip clips on the track then coming down a steep hill can be scarey. When the machine starts to slip on the slope you need to step on the gas and steer like hell to keep the nose downhill.... found that out this weekend. The other is to ask that guy for the belts he cut off so you can use them in the powder.
Really good purchase price. 1st gear has lots of grunt. I've gone up a hill so steep that it buried itself in the snow still spinning the track. 15mph is about as fast as you would want to go (and maxing out the rpm)... personally I run it in 1st speed up the hills at around 3-3500 rpm... doing maybe around 3mph.
Nope on the transfer case - juse a C 6 trany

Old 01-24-2011, 12:48 PM

swixb is on a distinguished road

can you take a close up pic of the Ice picks you have on your tracks? I may ( being the cheapskate i am) try to fab my own. do you think the ALM grouisers in the pic are original? Have seen so many diffrent types...he does not know where the original belting went, bummer, he bought it that way. No t-case, good one less thing to break. In the Jeeping world, as long as you can spin all four under max traction, you have enough power to gears. If this rig will spin the tracks when climbing (at 13,000') then I have enough power. Speaking of climbing steep angles, how do they have the oil pickup configured? V style or just a rear sump? Starving it going up or down steep slopes should have been addressed form the factory, but... What about the carb? ever stick the floats and starve it of fuel? (another Moab problem) being a "standard" Ford engine, one could bolt on a EFI system and correct the "tilted carb" problem.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:06 PM

It's a rear sump confirmation. My carb was put on before I got it and I am having some sputtering issues while climbing the steep grade. It is an edlebrook 4 barrel but I have to do some research on the jetting etc.... Note that the manuals do not include any info on the motors, carbs, tranny etc... Let me know if you are going to do the EFI thing and how you will do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Birch Boy For This Useful Post:
IMP (12-15-2014)
Old 01-24-2011, 01:35 PM

Where are you? what altitude are you running at? I will start at 7k' and go up from there. Yes as time goes on I'll post all kinds of stuff, love the idea of shariing with "like minded people"
Old 01-24-2011, 01:39 PM

In Muskoka Ontario Canada at approx 1000 ft. I will get pictures of the clips and machine posted asap.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:05 PM

Holly pro-jection kit is a grand. old forum posts sure did not like it though, maybe it has improved over the years. I'll go there only if I cannot get the 460 to run at altitude. Many other places to put my money and time first. Like a nice "OEM look" passenger box on the back.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:22 PM

Try Ron @ midwestrack@aol.com for info on passenger boxes. Tell him Rob sent you.
Also note that you will need another gas tank on that machine if it only has one if you plan on driving for more then a few hours.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:44 PM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

if you are planning on incorperating efi my vote goes to the factory eec-4 system if you have to buy parts you can g to the local parts store and get them
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Old 01-24-2011, 03:51 PM

Was planning on buildign my own, steel frame with alum skin, with sound deadening material between. May repurpose the two windows in the back of the cab in the sides of the box, as I want to be able to hear/comunicate with them. Will try to insulate the engine noise too. I'll route the exhaust out & up Will need to figure out how to vent the engine compartment, dont want the cabin filling with blowby and carbon monoxide....Want to build in a beefy ROPS as well, but the cab and my box will need to be removable just in case one has to pull the engine...but the roll bar I'll weld to the frame behind the stock cab and inside my box.
Yea I have a 50 gal tank earmarked for this already...may mount it on top of the cab, fill it when needed. Or put it under a seat in the back.
Question, do passengers prefer to sit facing the sides or forward? Bench seats along the sides with storage under them would be a good use of space, but if not comfortable then I'll go with something diffrent.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:03 PM

there is lots of space for the fan air to travel if you decide to close up the back of the engine area but you can always add a boat type engine compartment exhaust fan system. Might consider running the engine exhaust under floor of the passenger cab in the driveshaft well (will have to bump over the differential) and out the back and then straight up the center back of the cab. I think your current system is straight up the back of the driving cab anyway so it would be useful. Based on my limited experience I can only see the passengers facing forward.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:47 PM

I'll find this out as soon as I get teh rig, but do they use pusher fans, out through the radiator or normal like a car? if 'normal' where does the hot air go? Exit down the tunnel and out the rearend? on rigs with a box directly behind the cab, should one install a fan to encourage the air flow? Whichever way it is traveling? That 460 is going to require a lot of airflow...and I rather not have it sucking the warm air out of the cabin.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:55 PM

It is a puller fan like the car. Can't exit the rear end due to the differental so you have a point. maybe raise the whole passenger cabin up 4 -5 inches and let it blow out under the cabin....
Old 01-24-2011, 05:01 PM

Or have a boot like between a pickup shell and cab. Allowing access to the stock fuel and hydro tank, and air to flow out from under the cab w/o poluting the cabin.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:34 PM

One of my options is to ship the via comercial truckline, the problem I have is seller is not willing to pull the tracks, either befor the truck arrives or during the loading process. Any of you near Cazenovia New York? 15 miles soiuth of I90. He has the ability to haul it a short distance....as I'd need a dock to bring it up to semi trailer height. Any ideas? Otherwise i plan to pick it up in early Feb. Gee, anyone need anything hauled from Denver East? I70 to I80 to I90.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:41 PM

I own a logistics company. Where are you in Colorado and I will look into a step deck for you. The only way I figure to load this thing is to hire a tilt and loader and have him winch it onto his truck and then back up onto the step deck. I'll have to measure mine because the max high on a regular flat deck is 102 inches and a step is 124 inches.
The Following User Says Thank You to Birch Boy For This Useful Post:
bill w (05-21-2016)
Old 01-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Tracked Evolution Central

MNoutdoors is on a distinguished road

One thing you might ask is how badly worn the inside of the aluminum cleats
are they wear inside and they are no longer available, they can be welded up
last time those cleats were available the outside portion was over 100 each
and the inside was not far behind. we use rollback towing people to load right at the site. usually not more that 100-150 even if they have move it a ways. check with me we have loads coming out of the Denver area back east
sometimes.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:24 PM

Haul from Cazenovia NY to Arvada CO. ~7500# 1700 miles.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:26 PM

I have a flatbed carrier (Bill @ 574-721-3116) with a flat deck and will pick up your machine on Thursday and deliver to you Monday Tues. Your seller will need to help you locate a towing company with a tilt and load. Call the towing company about how they can block and tackle the dozer from their truck onto the flat bed. Bills rate to Denver area CO is $4500.00 US including permits and fuel which is pretty good. If you are interested then call Bill and work out the details.... you would pay him COD.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:30 PM

Also note that his max height capability is 102 inches to check on the skidozer height.