Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum

Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum Snowcat Repairs, Parts Inquiries, Sources, Problems & Advice

Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 AM

Birch Boy is on a distinguished road
Default Skidozer 302

Hi guys. Just picked up a 73 Skidozer 302 with wide snow tracks and 6 way u blade. It has both power steering and long lever steering but the long lever steering isn't hooked up. A guy told me that some of them came from the factory that way which left me scratching my head. Secondly the entire brake system in the machine has been removed leaving only the rotor on the drive shaft. Again the guy told me that this isn't needed to stop .... start'n to think the guy is nuts.
Need advice and maybe a complete brake assembly.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Bronze Member

Alaska Snow Cat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Skidozer 302

I don't know about the steering other than I know some came with some sort of power steering assist. The rotor on the drive shaft is the parking brake assembly which like the guy said is not used for actual breaking. It is nice to have in certain situations but you can defiantly live without it.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:22 AM

Thanks Alaska Snow Cat. The power assist levers are attached to the front of the drivers seat and I've been told the idea is that you can use one hand to steer with these while the other hand can work the blade joy stick.
- re brakes. So to be clear the brake pedal is more for a park brake or last ditch emergency then for normal use?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Bronze Member

Alaska Snow Cat is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the power assist is a very nice feature. I've spent many hours grooming with a Bombi and Spryte using the left arm to pull levers and running the blade and groomer with the right arm.

If all the foot brake does is activate the driveshaft brake then yes it is for parking and emergency only. It has been my experience that brake will stop you dead in your tracks as it is very aggressive.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Tracked Evolution Central

MNoutdoors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch Boy View Post
Hi guys. Just picked up a 73 Skidozer 302 with wide snow tracks and 6 way u blade. It has both power steering and long lever steering but the long lever steering isn't hooked up. A guy told me that some of them came from the factory that way which left me scratching my head. Secondly the entire brake system in the machine has been removed leaving only the rotor on the drive shaft. Again the guy told me that this isn't needed to stop .... start'n to think the guy is nuts.
Need advice and maybe a complete brake assembly.
the long lever runs off a master cylinder and seperate slave on the differential the short ones use a hydraulic source and they are much nicer to use the master cylinders on allot off them get taken off they are there for backup. you really do not need them. if you pull both levers at the same time that is your brake. the driveline brake is nice to have. we have the units that go on those if you need it.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:35 PM

MAD is on a distinguished road

do you have any pictures? I bought what iwas told was a similar 301 and am now finding out I may have a 302. Thanks
Old 11-22-2010, 08:47 AM

Thanks Boggie. Spent this weekend crawling around the machine with a parts manual for SV301-501-501S. I am now not sure what I have. The machine has a 460 V8 in it, no transfer case at all, A really big differential which doesn't match anything in the book - Is a solid casing with no bolts on the side and a lid with about 34 bolts. The lid contains a breather, filling cap (with 1/2" sq) wrench size to open and a dip stick. The differential also has a temp gauge on it. Looks like it might have come out of a swamp machine but it is bigger then the original because they modified the back end to accomodate. The front tires are solid but the bearing cap is perfectly round and not hex shaped with the other wheels. I am missing this cap so if you have one I need it. The gauges runs accross the ceiling of the cab and say SV302. There are 2 additional rads in front of the engine rad; one is for the tranny and the other is for the differential. I measured the track width and they stand at 53 inches each. I am thinking I have a modified SV 501S.
Please advise your thoughts.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks Boggie. Spent this weekend crawling around the machine with a parts manual for SV301-501-501S. I am now not sure what I have. The machine has a 460 V8 in it, no transfer case at all, A really big differential which doesn't match anything in the book - Is a solid casing with no bolts on the side and a lid with about 34 bolts. The lid contains a breather, filling cap (with 1/2" sq) wrench size to open and a dip stick. The differential also has a temp gauge on it. Looks like it might have come out of a swamp machine but it is bigger then the original because they modified the back end to accomodate. The front tires are solid but the bearing cap is perfectly round and not hex shaped with the other wheels. I am missing this cap so if you have one I need it. The gauges runs accross the ceiling of the cab and say SV302. There are 2 additional rads in front of the engine rad; one is for the tranny and the other is for the differential. I measured the track width and they stand at 53 inches each. I am thinking I have a modified SV 501S.
Please advise your thoughts.

Sounds like a SV302 but if the differentail was modified ? then ? it sounds like a 302 but there were a few 500 series not many ..... way more 302's
we do have that round aluminum cap( some were cast steel )
Old 11-22-2010, 09:48 AM

Hey Boggie. How come the parts manual shows a 6 cylinder in the 301/302 series and V 8's in the 501/501S series? The cap for the front solid wheel bearing is round (like a bowl) and fine threaded. Do you have one of these?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:51 AM

Hi MAD.

I am not that good with posting pics on a thread but if you send me your email address I will forward some pics for you.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Hey Boggie. How come the parts manual shows a 6 cylinder in the 301/302 series and V 8's in the 501/501S series? The cap for the front solid wheel bearing is round (like a bowl) and fine threaded. Do you have one of these?
we had a SV 302 with a 460 here a while ago we do have the Bowl cover style in aluminum
Old 11-22-2010, 10:24 AM

Boggie. I am interested in the cover. You can email the details to rob@shipnai.com
Old 11-22-2010, 12:19 PM

Hey Boggie.

Give me your number and I will call you.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:45 PM

swixb is on a distinguished road

I just bought a 302, with the 460 ford....have not picked it up yet...a mear 1700 drive each way (ouch) mid Feb for the trip. will be pulling the tracks in order to travel under DOT limits, any advice how best to do so? pop them then winch onto the deckover trailer? Then roll/coil them up onto the rear of the trailer? also I'm sure I 'll be needing a service manual, know where I can get one? I'll post a pic soon.
Swixb
Old 01-24-2011, 08:22 AM

Depends on your flatbed. If it runs I might be inclined to drive onto the flatbed and then jack it up on blocks and remove the tracks and then drop back down and chain. I have a manual that covers 301's and 502,s and the experts tell me that the 301 and 302 are pretty much the same. I just had mine out this weekend after rebuilding the tranny. One thing you have to know is that 460 sure is thirsty. It is no problem to drink 6-8gallons in an hour but I am grooming a ski hill.

What year is your machine.? I recommend changing every filter you can find; fuel, hydraulic, oil, air before running to much and change the tranny fluid. Also remove and clean out the tranny rad and lines and reinstall. I didn't do that which resulted in rebuilding the tranny.
Where abouts are you located?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:45 AM

The cat is in NewYork..I am in Denver. I have a 20' deckover trailer, bumper pull. 2500hd Duramax as the tow rig. Year is unknown at this time, I have not even seen a pic of the interior so do not know how the controls are set up or what options is has. I'd pay you for a copy of book. I'm sure I'll need it!
it was running last week, but some wire melted on the manafold while he was driving it back to his house...the seller is not a mechanic, so i dont know if I'll be able to do a quick fix or will just have to winch it onto the trailer. Plan A was to pop the pins and roll out of the tracks on the way up the ramps, then coil the tracks up behind it. Question on the track removal procedure...can I get by with a handyman jack to take the pressure off? how do you let the grease out of the tentioners?
was thinking of making "poor mans" track jacks: take two beefy trailer jacks, side winder type, and welding arms to the head and foot to grab the grousers. I'd rather make them after I have the tracks so I can make the arms fit right as I do not know how long to make them.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:47 AM

Pic of my Skidozer 302.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2011, 09:58 AM

Looks clean.... I can see that a tire appears flat. I figure that machine is mid 70s by it's appearance. the tensioners are a bitch to get at.... especially in the winter so if it is possible to get running then do so. The front plow set up reduces clearance at the front quite and the machine is around 8500 lbs with most of the wt at the front. bring some heavy duty jacks or some bottle jacks.
- find out how wide that machine with including tracks. there is a chance you might be able to get away with not having to take them off. By the pick they are not as wide as I thought.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:38 AM

115" the outside belt has been cut off on both sides, so now it is asymetric. I may be able to flop every other grouser and add the belt, but then cannot transport. Here in Colo we can get a wideload permit for 10 and under for 32 bucks. So I'd like to run it at 9.5' and see how it does in the powder. Yea the blade is nice for cutting a slope, but I'll probably take it off while exploring the mountians. Goal to haul skiers. Will build a box on the back.
It has one flat on the other side too.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:50 AM

The blade is 8.5', yea the pic is decieving as it looks like the blade and tracks are the same. The 302 with the 460 does not have a t-case? The factory figured it has enough TQ to grunt around in first gear? What is top end speed? 15mph?
Any hints for poping the tracks pins? Have never done it on a Skidozer.
I paid $2800 for it.