Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat History, Articles, Manuals, Brochures & Recollections Forum

Snowcat History, Articles, Manuals, Brochures & Recollections Forum Publications, specifications, production information for snow cats

Old 06-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Bronze Member

Lyndon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thiokol - DMC - LMC Company History

I Skiied Brodie ALOT! Broke a Ski There! Some buddies of mine had a band that played at the lodge there. On one of the ocassions that they were playing there I met the owner, sitting at the Bar. He previously had owned a larger Ski area in Vermont(Mt. Snow). He was supposed to have developed the "Snow Fan", and held various patents on what is the current technology in Snow Making. When I met him he was leasing out several units to the Olympics in Japan. His Snow maker required only one hose instead of 2, and had a siginificantly higher delivery rate. This design soon replaced snow makers all over the world. Brodie's LOGO SKI PIN was a little Snoopy Dog on Skiis. And Yes, on St. Patti's day they did dye the snow green a few years. This was quite a nice Ski Area in it's 'hay-day'. I don't remember them ever having Snow Trac's. Mt Snow, Haystack, Okemo, Killington, Stowe, and Mt. Ascutney Did have Snow Trac's and Snow Masters, but only briefly. They wern't used much for grooming though. They were used by the ski patrol and by the employees to take food and drinks to the lodges and restraunts on top of the mountain. Generally there was one guy driving, and the other was hanging out the back with the door open. Probably Noise and Fumes drove the passenger out. After a big snow storm the best place to ski was right in the tracks left by the machines. My lifelong ski partner, Dave, was also a VW enthusiasts, and we noted when they went from the 2 belt tracks, to the 3 belt, then the 4 belt and finally the 5 belt. Back in those days it was 'Normal' to see the snow cats on the slopes. Somewhere along in the mid 70's they must have had a series of accidents, as practally all of the ski area's in Vermont, New Hampshire, Mass, and NY State, resorted to running the groomers at night, and one didn't see them "on the Slopes" anymore. If I still lived in Mass, I'd miss Brodie.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:35 AM

topgun53 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the great picture, Weatherby. The two rigs seem to be nearly identical except for the expanded and widened track.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2009, 12:06 PM

seskelson is on a distinguished road

Just a further historical note. My name is Scott Eskelson. I am the son of Ross Eskelson who started Thiokol into the industry in 1960 and was operations manager and the designer of all the Thiokol models and in charge of all R & D through 1971 when he let to start his own independent company. Those old photos are interesting. The one is of dad walking down a hill beside the prototype of the model 1400 Imp. He used to do that to show how slow it would idle down. The other interstin gone is him in the protypte Model 201 out on the Bonneville Salt Flats. That's him driving turned around with the old styple fedora hat on. That expedition followed the path of the Donner Party and was sponsored by the Utah Historical Society Quarterly and National Geographic magazine. I still have original copies of the old magazines with the story in it.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Bronze Member

socal4t12 is on a distinguished road

A very special thanks to the Eskelson family for making ALL OF THIS possible. The links below are from a magazine from the Thiokol Corporation, a postcard documenting the "Donner Party Trip" Thiokol retraced in a Spryte, and a postcard showing a nice Thiokol 4T2 working at Alta Ski Resort.
You might have to enlarge and rotate some of the pages.
ENJOY.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Impulse 6.61.pdf (1.85 MB, 270 views)
File Type: pdf postcard 1.pdf (1,007.0 KB, 205 views)
File Type: pdf postcard alta 2.pdf (938.0 KB, 173 views)
Old 11-08-2010, 11:22 PM

Harold_V is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seskelson View Post
My name is Scott Eskelson. I am the son of Ross Eskelson who started Thiokol into the industry in 1960 and was operations manager and the designer of all the Thiokol models and in charge of all R & D through 1971 when he let to start his own independent company.

Scott,
Your father was (machine) shop superintendent at Sperry Utah prior to has work with Thiokol. I remember him fondly.

I started at Sperry in the fall of '57, as a trainee machinist, fresh out of high school.

The last time I saw your father was many years ago, while I was still living in Utah. We chatted briefly, and he gave me his card. That had to be more than 20 years ago.

I would be pleased to hear from you, with an update on his status. Please feel free to contact me on the side if you are so inclined.
I now live in Washington State, and haven't been back to Utah in over ten years.

Harold
Old 11-09-2010, 09:23 AM

seskelson is on a distinguished road

Harold, thank you for your kinds words. My dad would say all his life that a good machinist or welder would never be without a job. Although formally trained as an engineer he still loved machinist work and welding all his life. Saved me lots of money when working on personal cars and my race cars and motorcycles too.
Dad passed away on June 21, 2008. He was 87 years old. We are still trying to sort through boxes and boxes of materials nad photographs. I'm afraid that my be put on hold for the next few moenths. Ski season is here and I need to avail myself of all those fine new grooming machines and their abilities. Although I mut admit I'm a powder fiend. I am on the ski patrol as a volunteer at a local resort and now have 6 of my grandchildren skiing with me. And they like to see the pictures of the old machines.
Scott Eskelson
Old 11-11-2010, 03:57 AM

Harold_V is on a distinguished road

Scott,
I'm saddened, but not surprised, to hear of your father's passing. What's hard for me to grasp is that I am now one of the "old folks", for it seems like only yesterday that I was a young kid working under your father's guidance.

I found his comments about being employed when one worked as a machinist, interesting, and true. From the day I started at Sperry, August 19, 1957, until I retired at the ripe old age of 54, back in '94, I was never unemployed. As he alluded, a job was always waiting, although I didn't move around much. After ten years of working for others, I started my humble machine shop that served me well until I allowed my hobby of refining precious metals to become a livelihood. The point is, machinists were fortunate to have jobs, even when things cooled down. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. Many are out of work now, as the move of our production capabilities to foreign shores, and the recent recession, have eliminated many of the jobs.

Thanks for your comments about your father. He was always a person of interest to me, and I held out hope that he might still be alive so I might pay him a visit when I venture back to Utah. A trip there is long overdue.

Be well,

Harold
Old 01-09-2011, 05:03 PM

jack frost is on a distinguished road

How can i find a thiokol 601 is this a good forum?
Old 01-09-2011, 05:15 PM

I'm looking for one that need's work no motor or trans i would like to use a 6bt cummins motor
Old 01-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Bronze Member

weatherby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack frost View Post
Yes...This is a very good place to find a Thiokol 601 however when one comes up for sale, you better be fast and have cash in hand.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Silver Member

snow dog will become famous soon enough

Quote:

but if you really want one,,, post a note in snowcats for sale and want to buy
Old 01-10-2011, 07:13 AM
Bronze Member

the old trucker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherby View Post
Yes...This is a very good place to find a Thiokol 601 however when one comes up for sale, you better be fast and have cash in hand.
WANTED... older Tuckers (running or not) also, tracks (steel or rubber belted) and parts.

Weatherby have you ever thought about calling in help to look for your older tucker ?? Those two guys (Frank & Mike) that are on the show American Pickers Antique Archaeology seem to get all over the country. I would say they have seen some old cats in their travels. I think they are located in Illinois. You'll never know till you ask...
OT.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Bronze Member

weatherby is on a distinguished road

OT....Your the second person that has suggest that idea, and I agree , I think it's a good idea. Those guys (Frank & Mike) may be a good source for old cat parts. I have on several occasions seen some unique and hard to find things in the background of there picks.
Thanks ....I need all the help I can get.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 2,271 Times in 1,209 Posts
NorthernRedneck will become famous soon enough
Style: T66

Quote:
I'm looking for one that need's work no motor or trans i would like to use a 6bt cummins motor
There's a guy on the forum here that has a bunch of them. They rarely, if ever, see action.(at least that we know of) I believe he lives in Maine. You might want to try him to see if you can pry one of his 32 601's out of his hands.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:57 AM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by groomerguyNWO View Post
There's a guy on the forum here that has a bunch of them. They rarely, if ever, see action.(at least that we know of) I believe he lives in Maine. You might want to try him to see if you can pry one of his 32 601's out of his hands.
groomer are you saying he should paint his thiokols krusty orange
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Old 01-17-2011, 02:00 AM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherby View Post
OT....Your the second person that has suggest that idea, and I agree , I think it's a good idea. Those guys (Frank & Mike) may be a good source for old cat parts. I have on several occasions seen some unique and hard to find things in the background of there picks.
Thanks ....I need all the help I can get.
i was watching frank and mike thismorning and they met with a guy who had a crosley snowmachine hanging from his rafters the cool thing was it was drivin with a set of podd tracks that looked like baby tucker tracks.
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Old 01-17-2011, 09:41 AM

Thank's for the info dds so what is the man's name
Old 01-17-2011, 09:47 AM

And your saying he has 32 601's
Old 01-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 2,271 Times in 1,209 Posts
NorthernRedneck will become famous soon enough
Style: T66

Quote:
And your saying he has 32 601's
Yep! Not sure on the exact number of 601's he's hoarding but he does have allot. I think he goes by the name Mainer on the forum.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Bronze Member

tomelroy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcat Operations View Post
Does anyone know what the last year they produced the Super Imp and what was the company name at the time. Thanks
I have never seen a 1450 Super Imp without he DMC badge so i would guess 80-83.

I have never seen a 1400 series IMP with a DMC logo, I guess the last 1400 were produced in 79.

I have never seen a 1500 without the LMC logo, so i guess 84-2000.

I do have a 1980 DMC 1200. The cat has the DMC 1200 Badges on the sides. Serial number starts with D0A, thats D, Zero, A and i believe the DMC/LMC Serial numbers indicate the year made in the second digit of the number. For example a 1988 LMC cat might be L8A. The Thiokol serial numbers are not done in this fashion and as far as I know there is no simple way to determine what year a thiokol cat was made. Would be nice if someone posted the production info so cat production date could easily be determined.