Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Adventure & Usage Forum

Snowcat Adventure & Usage Forum Snow Trac, Kristi, Thickol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier stories & discussions

Old 03-05-2017, 03:46 PM

Woodchuck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Government Meadows run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowtrac Nome View Post
uou guys with vapor lock issues I would bet are all using rubber hose between the fuel pump and carb. replace it with a ss brake line should fix the problem. most guys don't like the hassle of dealing with inverted flare fittings ,but they used them at the oem level for a reason
I'm also having what I think are vapor lock issues in my new-to-me (Sno-Surfer's old-to-him) Snow Trac. I was thinking of installing an electric fuel pump, but replacing the rubber hose with stainless steel brake line seems easier. I don't know enough about engines to understand why that would work.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:10 PM
Bronze Member

Sno-Surfer is on a distinguished road

Just my two cents to Woodchuck, I would keep the stock fuel pump. They are very reliable. Some later type 4 engines had fuel pump issues but these type 1's work best with a stock pump.
I also would have the vapor lock issues with that snow trac and I guess I got used to letting it sit for 15 min or so after a good uphill run. I don't know why it does that, my busses don't have that problem no matter how hot they get.
I would let it run a bit too to let it cool down before shutting it down. I could predict when it might happen after a long run and would let it idle a bit. I had it happen once on the way up the hill and had to let it sit for a while before continuing. Overall once I knew what it was I just managed it and made sure not to run the battery down trying to start it and let it cool.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sno-Surfer For This Useful Post:
Woodchuck (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 09:27 PM
Bronze Member

Cidertom is on a distinguished road

My trac would occasionally do that. I put in an electric pump at the tank that allows free flow. It has a spring return on / off / on switch. If I need to prime, I use the spring return until I hear the pump load up. If pulling real heavy up hill I sometimes noticed improvement if I used it. If Off, the normal mechanical pump usually does just fine.

I'm using the OEM inside tank, if that makes a difference.

CT
Old 03-06-2017, 10:05 AM
Bronze Member

JimVT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
I'm also having what I think are vapor lock issues in my new-to-me (Sno-Surfer's old-to-him) Snow Trac. I was thinking of installing an electric fuel pump, but replacing the rubber hose with stainless steel brake line seems easier. I don't know enough about engines to understand why that would work.
what are the symptoms of this vapor lock?
#185 snow trac
2004 pistenbully canyon
Old 03-06-2017, 04:14 PM
Bronze Member

PJL is on a distinguished road

I gave up on identifying the burned sled. The area I need to see is melted away. Thanks for all the advice. Heck I didn't even know the manufacturer of it.

I peeked under the hood of the 1200. Has steel fuel piping from the pump to the carb. There are no heat shields of any sort around the carb. Really liking the idea of a CarbCooler heat shield.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:13 PM

Woodchuck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVT View Post
what are the symptoms of this vapor lock?
For me, failure to re-start, and a complete absence of gas getting into the carb when trying. When I took apart the gas lines (later), none of them were blocked. And when I took off the fuel pump, it appeared to work just fine. I think I also have some loose wire connections to fix.

Is a CarbCooler heat shield something to try as well?
Old 03-10-2017, 08:12 PM
Bronze Member

I had a somewhat free morning and tinkered with the cat a bit. I added this heat reflective covering to the fuel line.

Also turned around the heater valve. I had it pointed the wrong way. Taking it back out next week so we will see how I did.

The cool carb website says it's not recommended for a straight 6 with overlapping manifolds due to too much heat melting the insulating layer.

http://www.coolcarb.com/
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2017, 06:50 PM
Bronze Member

Today we made another run to Government Meadows. The road was pretty bad. First couple miles were ice. Cat is really sketchy on ice. The heater works correctly now with the valve turned around. I can actually turn the heat off.

The insulation on the fuel line helped. It still stumbles when taking off after letting it sit and idle for a few minutes but it's better than it was. I'm gonna look for a phenolic spacer.

No new pics because it looked just like the last time.