Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum

Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum Snowcat Repairs, Parts Inquiries, Sources, Problems & Advice

Old 01-06-2015, 03:08 PM

swixb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Skidozer 302

will have my rig home in a week or two, I'll take some pictures. It is basically a set of 3 bogie wheels supported by 2" angle iron giving the mini axles support on both sites, with the wheels holding the inside edge of the track about level. I used ~6" solid rubber wheels from Harbor frt. with bearings & zerks. I chained the guides in place with beefy chain. One does not want one to come loose...it would make a mess of things really fast. I set them on the smoothest inside track surface I could find, so bolts will not hit the wheels. I did not weld them in place...not yet anyway. Pneumatic wheels might ride better, but hard to find small beefy ones with bearings.
I look forward to any pics you can post of your build.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:57 AM

Birch Boy is on a distinguished road

Finally took a moment to snap a picture of my SV 302

20150115_140527 (2).jpg
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2015, 07:26 PM

Looks nice! it was 2 years between when I removed the hydraulic manifold up front and reassembly...can you describe how the joy stick is supposed to function? Moving the handle: front/back = _________blade movement. left /right=_________ and twisting it=_______? My current setup does not seem intuitive...
Old 01-20-2015, 10:06 PM

Have a hydraulic leak in the valve manifold, appears to leak out from between the bottom two levels, I took it apart and replaced the O rings, but did not solve the leaking...any ideas? Could not see any cracks, did not appear to have water damage.
Cat is ready to go...except for the leak...
Old 01-26-2015, 01:02 PM

I can't help with the leak as I tend to farm those issues out to others. The T bar style joy stick for the front Hydraulics is pretty simple.... back is up and forward is down and you twist to the right to dip the right side of the blade and to the left to correct the dip. Maybe the hose hook up on the front was incorrect?
Old 01-26-2015, 01:06 PM

Whoops. Just realized I made a mistake on the joystick.

Back is up
Forward is down
to the right dips the right side
to the left removes the dip on the right side
twist to the right rolls the blade forward
twist to the left rolls the blade back.

The Following User Says Thank You to Birch Boy For This Useful Post:
swixb (04-02-2015)
Old 05-20-2016, 06:00 PM

update on my 302 HD...gave up on the carb and went full EFI off a 93 Ford F250. works great...well it did till I lost oil pressure...not related to the EFI system, but just kept going back to the trail head. Made it but now the 460 has a tick...so I'm going to put in a Cummins 6bt & Allison 4sp auto combo. It will go a bit slower, but will go forever. I'm also restoring it to full 12', 2 belts per side. the asymmetrical works fine on hard pack, but out in the fluffy it digs on the outside...down hill side and down you go. Cats don't side hill very good anyway...so full width is the ticket. The Cummins will add a bit of wt but not excessive compared to the big block 460 that was in it.
The EFI system and new heads is for sale...computer and all.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:29 PM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

I think you would find a 4b with sme tuning and a Allison 545 would work real well you would have to go with a 1000 with standalone computer for the 6 b
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Old 05-22-2016, 11:50 AM

6bt's are more common, thus less expensive. I already bought the motor. 93 with turbo, complety mechanical, trying to keep it as simple as possable. Less to go wrong. The Allison is a 545 out of a school bus. Low first gear. Will need to mount a pull your on the drive shafts to run the difference oil pump, as the C6 had it built into the tail. If anyone needs the C6 let me know it works just fine.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:21 PM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

caution n the 545 I talked with an allison professional once about a 545 that trans was never intended to have 400 ft pounds of torque applied against it the 1544 used behind the cat in the a3 duce is barely rated for the kind of torque the 3116 can make and as such hasn't had a great track record that is why I suggested the 4-b over the 6-b
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Old 03-01-2017, 05:18 PM

Finally have the 6bt installed. Have to move the diff pump back, does anyone have a diagram of how the plumbing is supposed to flow? Mine seems to go in circles...
I also relocated the trans and diff coolers to under the drive shaft with their own fan.
I have forgotten how to post pictures.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:19 PM

labradorshooter is on a distinguished road

the 545 Alison should work good with your engine. 93 cummins from a dodge (assuming thats what you have) is 160hp and they put the 545 behind the 190hp motors in buss's many many times. I have that combo I pulled from a bus with high millage and the trans was good, I know it was on the motor for a long time because the bellhousing and flywheel housing corroded together so bad I broke the trans housing trying to separate the two.