Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum

Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum Snowcat Repairs, Parts Inquiries, Sources, Problems & Advice

Old 01-28-2017, 11:26 PM
Bronze Member

Cidertom is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Variator Wear ??

With that damage, and the general state of "what else has?" if it were mine, the power package would be out of the chassis. I found it easier to pull the front off the trac and pull everything out that way. Others have pulled out the top, dropped out the bottom. Clean it all, and see what else is broken.

Besides, you want a fresh start anyway. Yep it's a pain, but you're better finding it in the shop than the field. Trust me, BTDT.

Here to advise, or just commiserate.
CT
Old 01-28-2017, 11:38 PM
Bronze Member

JimVT is on a distinguished road

I would talk to christer motlind christer@klovsjo.com
he may has some parts.
jim
#185 snow trac
2004 pistenbully canyon
Old 01-29-2017, 12:49 AM
Bronze Member

Lyndon is on a distinguished road

This is just a "Long-winded" opinion but: When I go 20 miles out in to areas where no one else is, in a 30 to 50 year old snow cat, I try and make the machine reliable so that I can get back home in one piece, and so that I don't have to abandon a machine where it might get vandalized. If you live in Nome, like Don, this becomes more serious. But even for the "Week-end warrior" it's nice to go out and explore around, instead of spending you time fixing a broke-down machine. That being said, I would recommend pulling the Engine, Transaxel/Variator and seeing what else the previous owners broke/lost/damaged and fix it all.

Twice in Alaska I encountered people that had been offered a ride in a 'Track-Rig' to go hunting. Their response was something to the effect: "Uh,... No thanks, I'd rather Hunt, than spend my time fixing the track rig"

Your Brakes, and Fuel system are sure to need attention. Good time to deal with the starter too as they are very difficult to access.
If the machine breaks down it's difficult to Tow, and one needs a bigger snow cat to tow it, that or a helicopter, and they tend to be prohibitively expensive.

Go thru the Tracks, and the Wheels.

Remember: You can not call "Triple A" and expect to get roadside assistance on the side of Mt. Rainier!
I know you won't be on Mt. Rainier anytime soon, but you may have a similar place to play.
Lyndon
300 H and H (01-29-2017), jim slagle  (02-12-2017), nikos (02-13-2017), NorCal (02-06-2017), Northcoast (02-05-2017), Snowcat Pat (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 09:30 AM

oilline is on a distinguished road

To be honest I was suprised at what good condition everything seems to be in part from the bearing breaking down. Everything came apart nicely, no frozen bushes or pins. There was a general lack of grease and the grease hoses were broken off
I will strip the whole lot in the summer, but for now I just want to get it functioning again as I have other projects on the go and a non steering Snowtrac can't just be pushed around the garage .
I ll get the opposite side bearing cap off to measure up to make one.
Hope I can get the tower off in situ . All the debris from the top bearing shouldn't of got past the bottom bearing so I don't need to worry about bits of metal in the bottom end
Old 01-29-2017, 06:07 PM

Tower off no problem. All the debris from the collapsed bearing was contained in the tower above the bottom bearing. Oil seal diameter for top bearing a bit chewed up. Will see if it's salvageable when I get the old outer bearing race out. Don't know how I'm getting it out though. Can't get a puller on it, can't knock out from the back. Will then see about repairing the broken mounting flange. Would like a replacement tower really if anybody has a spare. Ultimately I could make a new tower if all else fails.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:34 AM

ST2016A oil seal diameter ground down to 33mm to remove the damage caused by loose ball bearings getting mashed around in there. Not all the damage removed but enough to get an oil seal on

Making of a ST13A

Not a good picture but note the damage below the bearing diameter where the remains of the old bearing made a bit of a mess.

Boring out to remove the damage and fit a sleeve to get back to 52mm diameter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oilline For This Useful Post:
300 H and H (02-12-2017), nikos (02-06-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 08:44 PM
Bronze Member

Cidertom is on a distinguished road

Nice work. I've had to make several parts so far. Very glad I have lathe and mill. And know how to use them.

TEW
Old 02-12-2017, 03:24 PM

All back together now and good as new.

Repairs to the variator tower

Sleeve fitted and recess milled for grease port

Top face milled flat

Bearing cap completed

All assembled before fitting
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oilline For This Useful Post:
300 H and H (02-12-2017), nikos (02-13-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Bronze Member

redsqwrl is on a distinguished road

like most folks here, somebody has some skills!

nice work
The Following User Says Thank You to redsqwrl For This Useful Post:
DAVENET (02-13-2017)