Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum

Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum Snowcat Repairs, Parts Inquiries, Sources, Problems & Advice

Old 01-16-2017, 05:44 PM

yooperman is on a distinguished road
Default I need some tucker help

My dad has a 1972 442. This weekend he was driving it and he broke a rear axle. Now I get to fix it. First. How do I remove the axle. Is there a retainer clip of some sort inside the pumpkin. I think the axle could be welded but I would rather not if I don't have to. If anybody has one for sale please let me know. I will also need the hub that goes on the end of the axle. I would assume that these parts were tucker only parts. Also how do I tell what kind of rear end I have. I might as well put new bearings and seals in it since I have it apart. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:38 AM
Bronze Member

Track Addict is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I need some tucker help

That machine should have the tucker long axles. If not the process is the same but you will find a few different parts mixed in.

1. Remove the Track
2. Unscrew and or pry gently off the end cap. Some were screwed and some were just press fit.
3. Remove cotter pin/locking tab and nut.
4. Unbolt the outer bearing retainer and remove. Will have to start jacking up the rear end on this side to take the weight off and pry tap gently. This can be a little tricky.
5. Use a long extension and unbolt the sprocket. If for some reason you have the older tucker axles there will be a spacer/hub that is also bolted up to the sprocket but same removal process.
6. Slide the pontoon and sprocket off the axle housing. Sprocket stays in the pontoon for this.
7. Remove the hub. It is tapered and keyed. It may be frozen on so heat, lube, puller, and time may be required. (If you are lucky you may find the key way rotten away and the hub was slipping on the axle. Easy fix if the key way in the axle didn't flake off.
8. Remove the axle retainer bolts.
9. Remove the retainer. Should be some shims in here also.
10. Pull out the axle. You will have a race that is on the end, a tapered bearing pressed on the axle, and inside the housing another seal few inches in.

Good time to replace both seals and bearings/race. Let us know what you find and we love pictures!!!!

When you put it back in make sure you seat the hub and tighten that pontoon end nut well and after some usage tighten it again. Also a good time to address the sprocket if it is worn or broken teeth.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the help. I got it apart. Looks like I will need an axle and a hub. Are these both dodge truck parts. The axle broke at the end of the taper. I think the key broke first. Probably quite a while ago. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:52 PM
Bronze Member

They are proprietary to Tucker if they have extension after the taper. Hub also. How did the hub break?

Early ones had stock axles with special hubs and spacers.

Can you give us some pictures?
Old 01-17-2017, 04:33 PM
Bronze Member

sno-drifter is on a distinguished road

If the axle is the long one T A has and is talking about, you may have to pull the good side and have one made. I have not been able to find any Dodge axle assy with that inner axle. I am pretty sure Tucker had them made special and are no longer in stock. A photo would end the confusion. It is possible to convert back to the old style but you would need to find or make some axle extensions and most likely change the side gears for splines that would work with the older dodge inner axles.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:37 PM

Here are some pics. As of right now I can't get the axle shaft out of the axle housing.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2017, 05:00 PM
Bronze Member

Those are the long and it looks like your hubs have been spinning on the axle. May want to check the others so you don't repeat the issue x 3 more.

Also an observation the race looks like it further into the axle house than it should be. Race should be a little proud and then those thin metal shims that should be on the retainer are used to adjust.

Without filling that space between retainer and race your axle and everything hooked to it can slide back and forth potentially causing more wear and damage.

Some shims like the race should help. Another axle may change this. I have seen a few tucker axles and the bearing stops are slightly different .
Old 01-17-2017, 05:03 PM
Bronze Member

sno-drifter is on a distinguished road

Yes. it is the newer long axle type. That axle is toast, weld a nut or anything on it and use a slide hammer to remove it, should come out without much trouble. That hub may or may not be recoverable by welding and re-machining. To bad he did not stop when it first failed. You could weld the broken piece on just to pull the axle so when you pull the other side for a pattern to make the new one, you will have it all figured out how to pull an axle. I do not recommend trying to weld and use the axle. If you make several axles, you could sell them and pay for the repair. I know there are folks who need them, I am running out too.
The Following User Says Thank You to sno-drifter For This Useful Post:
Sno-Surfer (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 05:13 PM

Update. Got the axle out. Thanks for the help. Seems that someone has been into the rear end before.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:56 PM

I just want to say thank you to everyone who helped. This site and all the people on here are truly a blessing to all snocat owners. The tucker is finally fixed and we couldn't have done it without you. Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to yooperman For This Useful Post:
Pontoon Princess (02-11-2017)