Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Vehicles > Campers / Motorhomes Forum

Old 02-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 1,739 Times in 943 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I'm In Deep Doo-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNE228 View Post
That is HUGE. My concern would be where do you want to take it? Most RV parks can hold something that big. Although I have been to a couple where it would be a pain to back in.

Not all state and federal campgrounds will take something that big though. Some restrict slides, and some restrict length.

I would consider some of the places you might want to go, and see how big of rigs they allow; ie Yellowstone, Bryce Canyon, Yosemite, and then some state parks.

I think the place in Pt Aranasas we stayed could handle that...
It's not huge, there are some even bigger but it's at the top end of my comfort zone, that's for sure. I was really looking at something around 32 or 33 feet but the floorplan is ideal for our use.

It's a bath and a half. I'm too old and grumpy to be sharing a john with more than one woman.

I've been checking around today and most RV parks have pads that will accommodate it but, you're right, backing it in to some of those pads could be a nightmare. Quite a few places have at least a couple of drive through pads which is what I think that I'd be looking at, at least at first.

I just talked to my S-I-L and she had just finished talking to her son. He's a Mercedes trained diesel mechanic and all he works on now are light, medium and heavy trucks. He's convinced her to go with the diesel although neither of us can get her off the 3/4 ton, single rear axle but we're working on it. Did I mention that she is a little bit stubborn but she'll give a little bit at a time. His recommendation is a Chevy/GMC. He says that it is a Subaru developed engine that he seldom sees in the shop. He also said that the Cummins really hasn't changed all that much since it was used in automobiles way back when. Something else, he said that in order to pull the engine out of the newer Ford diesels, you have to lift the whole cab off the frame first. That's 5 hours labor before you even touch the engine. Seems crazy to me.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 02-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

loboloco will become famous soon enough

Frank, somewhere on your truck wil be a data plate giving a GCWR. This is Gross Combined Weight Rating. What you want is to have a GCWR that meets or exceeds your loaded trailer's weight and the loaded truck weight including the people in the truck. I honestly believe you might want to look at a slightly heftier duty truck than the 350. Sorry, but I would only use the gasser for moving it around the yard.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Silver Member

Frank, definitely go with a dualie. If you lose one tire on a dualie, you have another to let you limp to the side of the road. On a single, you are gonna wind up screwing up the rim, and possibly the axle.
A single screw (or single rear axle) if it is rated high enough is ok. But every one of those are going to be dual wheel.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

RedRocker will become famous soon enough

If I was pulling a big trailer I'd go with a FL60 Freightliner or a
http://sportchassis.com/
You can never have too much truck.

Lewisville Texas
You can lead liberals to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Forum Admin

Thanked 6,944 Times in 2,985 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough

Sure bigger is better, but I think you'll be fine with your F350 4x4 dually. You might have the brakes upgraded but otherwise I figure you are good to go as it sits. Now, if your MIL really would feel better if she bought a new truck to help you out with the towing go with Reds suggestion.

Other Fun Forums:

Net Tractor Talk + Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
Old 02-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

One other suggestion, Frank. If you decide to go with the 350, get the transmission cooler upgraded.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Bronze Member

jwstewar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He says that it is a Subaru developed engine that he seldom sees in the shop.
The Duramax wasn't developed by Subaru. It was developed by Isuzu and GM jointly. Now since GM sold their ownership of Isuzu they bought the rights to the Duramax, it is owned soley by GM. You sure he is a diesel mechanic?

Revelations 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 2,623 Times in 1,389 Posts
NorthernRedneck will become famous soon enough
Style: T66

I vote for the 1 tonne dually with a deisel. Dad's got a 3/4 chevy deisel single axle and it was just enough to pull his 30ft Golden falcon with a 14ft slide. Anything bigger, and he figured he'd need a dually at least. This is coming from a guy who was a bush truck driver for 40 yrs. It's better to have too much truck for the job than not enough truck and wind up in a mess along the innerstate somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:33 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
If I was pulling a big trailer I'd go with a FL60 Freightliner or a
http://sportchassis.com/
You can never have too much truck.
Or too much money. I'm familiar with Sportschassis and they run $120,000 on up. We have a dealer on I-20, just west of Canton. Beautiful machines but that's way overkill for pulling a 14K pound trailer ... but if I ever win the lottery ......

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 02-04-2011, 01:38 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwstewar View Post
The Duramax wasn't developed by Subaru. It was developed by Isuzu and GM jointly. Now since GM sold their ownership of Isuzu they bought the rights to the Duramax, it is owned soley by GM. You sure he is a diesel mechanic?
I stand corrected. He was right. I got it wrong. Subaru ... Izuzu ... this country boy classifies them all as "firrin".

Old 02-04-2011, 01:59 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loboloco View Post
Frank, somewhere on your truck wil be a data plate giving a GCWR. This is Gross Combined Weight Rating. What you want is to have a GCWR that meets or exceeds your loaded trailer's weight and the loaded truck weight including the people in the truck. I honestly believe you might want to look at a slightly heftier duty truck than the 350. Sorry, but I would only use the gasser for moving it around the yard.
I agree with you about the gasser.

Yea, I had all the manuals out today, it was too cold to do anything else, and I found it a little bit confusing trying to work out what you could actually pull on a gooseneck. I reckon if it is rated to pull 10K on the rear, it should surely be rated to pull 14K on a 5th wheel hitch. Just my opinion. But, having said that, if you follow all the instructions for calculating allowable towing weight, you're right, it's pretty darned close for my dually 4x4.

We're going to make a few short trips when we get it home just to check it out. The destinations are all within about 10 miles of the house or the farm. We'll see how that goes. Good Lord, I hope I don't have to drop another $70K on an upgraded tow vehicle. I may have to sell the house and live in the freekin' thing.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Bronze Member

Location: Between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe, but sometimes on a sailboat on SF Bay
RNE228 is on a distinguished road

Yes, a friend of mine had a 43' toy hauler, three axle jobber. It was sweet. But he was limited on parking.

FWIW, he towed his with a 3500 Dodge Megacab dually, '07 I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexFrank View Post
It's not huge, there are some even bigger but it's at the top end of my comfort zone, that's for sure. I was really looking at something around 32 or 33 feet but the floorplan is ideal for our use.

It's a bath and a half. I'm too old and grumpy to be sharing a john with more than one woman.

I've been checking around today and most RV parks have pads that will accommodate it but, you're right, backing it in to some of those pads could be a nightmare. Quite a few places have at least a couple of drive through pads which is what I think that I'd be looking at, at least at first.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Hangin in Tornado Alley

rback33 is on a distinguished road

I am thinking medium duty truck is your best bet... 450/4500 or bigger... you won't be out as much as you think...

http://www.truckpaper.com/list/list....bs=1&scf=false

Old 02-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rback33 View Post
I am thinking medium duty truck is your best bet... 450/4500 or bigger... you won't be out as much as you think...

http://www.truckpaper.com/list/list....bs=1&scf=false
Man, that was interesting.

I'd looked at the Ford web page and had seen that the F450 had a stickered starting price of something like $61,000. That didn't impress me too much.

I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Bronze Member

Location: Between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe, but sometimes on a sailboat on SF Bay
RNE228 is on a distinguished road

Only bummer about a bigger truck(like the 450/4500 series) is parking ect. When we take the 5th wheel out, we wind up doing sight seeing, shopping ect. It is nice to be able to find parking.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

Frank, glad I could point you in the right direction. Another option, rather than purchase a new truck is upgrade the rear axle and suspension, thus increasing the tow weight. Of course, you have to register and tag the upgrade to be legal, but not sure how 'stiff' they are around there about that.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loboloco View Post
Of course, you have to register and tag the upgrade to be legal, but not sure how 'stiff' they are around there about that.
Basically, this is East Texas. It's legal as long as you don't get caught.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Silver Member

RedRocker will become famous soon enough

I'm trying to figure out how they'd know.

Lewisville Texas
You can lead liberals to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Gold Member

I towed it with the F350. It did pretty good.

We went on a one week shakedown trip to the Mineola Civic Center which is about 6 miles from the house. We made up a list of things that needed attending to and drove it back to the dealer to have them fixed under warranty. There wasn't too much, mainly little stuff.

I was actually surprised how well the 5th wheel towed. It was a lot better and easier than towing a tractor on the receiver hitch.

I'm looking into adding a chip to the ol' truck to get some more torque and fuel economy. I found a company not too far away, Texas Performance Diesel, that installs them. I was looking at, "The Edge with Attitude".

Anybody know if it's a worthwhile addition? I'd like to get you guys input before I plonk down my money.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:51 PM

VXclimber180 is on a distinguished road

I have the perfect truck for you....OK I am sure you have heard that before. But really I have a 08 Dodge 5500 quad cab with 26,000 miles that I am forced to sell. I have been pulling a 44' horse trailer with it. I used to pull the trailer with a 3500 with a short bed. I have to say the difference in the 3500 and the 5500 is big. Lots bigger brakes, much more heavy duty axle. Mine has a 11'4" flat bed and still turns shorter than my short bed 3500, they have a different frt end that lets if turn sharper. The long wheel base rides much better. Asking $38,500. Also has the built in navigation with 6 disk changer. PM if you have any questions or want any more photos.
Attached Images