Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Vehicles > Campers / Motorhomes Forum

Old 12-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 2,628 Times in 1,392 Posts
NorthernRedneck will become famous soon enough
Style: T66
Default Re: Gees, what a bummer...

So, you're off to Florida? My parents flew out to Daytona this morning to pick up their RV they bought of ebay. Apparently, its a 1997 Dolphin 37' with an 18ft slide. SO, if you happen to see one of those on the road down there. Wave and tell them I said Hi.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:55 AM
Like a bad penny...

Dargo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by groomerguyNWO View Post
So, you're off to Florida? My parents flew out to Daytona this morning to pick up their RV they bought of ebay. Apparently, its a 1997 Dolphin 37' with an 18ft slide. SO, if you happen to see one of those on the road down there. Wave and tell them I said Hi.
I'm actually just south of Daytona parked just across the street from the ocean in an RV park. You see, it was only when I was about 30 miles away that my mother told me that my coach is too big to fit in front of her house (where we have discussed and planned to park for a couple of months) and there was no possible way we could open our slide outs. That left me scrambling to find a place to park.

After a few day in this park (which does have some permanent residents); don't play horse shoes or shuffleboard with the old guys and these guys put diesel pickup owners to shame when it comes to fudging on the fuel economy their coach gets. As I think I've mentioned, my coach has a Cat C9 engine behind a 4000 series Allison 6 speed tranny and weighs around 30k pounds. We also towed my little Jeep behind us. Anyway, I ran 75 to 80 mph most of the way down (apparently too fast) and got just over 7 mpg on the way down.

First off, I'll agree with 'the guys' and drop down to about 65 mph driving back. That probably will increase my mpg. However, talk about hearing some tall tails!! One guy has a 42' coach with 450 hp, tows a regular H1 Hummer and claims he gets "about 20" mpg running 70 mph! What? Another has a 45' Prevost with 550 hp, weighs about 42k, and says he averages about 17 mpg. You'd think the guys with the mid 30' size RV's are driving hybrids with the mpg they claim. And to think I thought diesel pickup owners fudged a bit on their mpg! I think I may be able to get 9 or 10 mpg running slower, but I don't think I would get '20 something' if I were being towed.

Off to pet Manatees and tour the Kennedy Space Center...
Old 12-31-2009, 11:08 AM
Like a bad penny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDOGTWO View Post
It is easy to overload a large coach as there is all of that room to put things. Make sure that you figure for the weight of the people, water etc.
Oh, I forgot to mention, according to the tag listing all the weights and limits, I have a out 7,000 pounds available to load before I hit the limit. Although they loaded a lot, I'm nowhere close to that much.

One other note; the 6 hour delay due to some "massive" wreck just south of Atlanta on the way down sucked! Starting towards home on New Year's day. Hopefully most people are too hung over to be on the roads.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Forum Admin

Thanked 6,967 Times in 2,998 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough

That is funny. I'd suspect you could get 12 mpg if you cruised at 60 to 65 all the way back. But going 10mph slower over a 1000 mile trip would add a little over 2 hours to your total drive time.
Are you close to New Smyrna? I love driving the beach down there. I wonder if your motor home would even be allowed on the beach. Course you'd probably never get all the sand out of it. If you do, be aware of the tides. Our ramp was close to being under water before we noticed it. We wondered why all the other cars and trucks had left. We were enjoying the beach and had it all to ourselves. LOL.

Other Fun Forums:

Net Tractor Talk + Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
Old 12-31-2009, 11:25 AM
Master of Distraction

PBinWA will become famous soon enoughPBinWA will become famous soon enough
Style: VB_Original_Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
That is funny. I'd suspect you could get 12 mpg if you cruised at 60 to 65 all the way back. But going 10mph slower over a 1000 mile trip would add a little over 2 hours to your total drive time.
Are you close to New Smyrna? I love driving the beach down there. I wonder if your motor home would even be allowed on the beach. Course you'd probably never get all the sand out of it. If you do, be aware of the tides. Our ramp was close to being under water before we noticed it. We wondered why all the other cars and trucks had left. We were enjoying the beach and had it all to ourselves. LOL.
I always thought is was funny in Florida how they let cars on the beach but they wouldn't let dogs on the beach (other than the two legged kind - lots of them). Florida is an odd state.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

-Gerald Ford

Old 12-31-2009, 03:18 PM
Like a bad penny...

Aww man, speaking of dogs, all of my nice polished aluminum wheels have now been 'marked'. Since dogs aren't allowed here unless they are on leashes, does that mean people here intentionally let their dogs pee on my wheels? Man, that's low.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 4,437 Times in 2,055 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about

I'm just sayin . . .

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 01-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Gold Member

Back to the original topic on this thread...
Dad made it back from florida with his new pre-owned rv. He said it ran great all the way but that he did have the exact same problem as Dargo with the alarms going off for the leveling jacks. He said he found his problem right away after reading the manual and added oil to the system and away he went.

As for fuel mileage on a big RV like that, he said he was rather impressed. His is a v10 gas with a banks power pack. He said there was lots of power left even after he got it up to 70mph. He didn't figure out the exact gas mileage yet but said it cost him around $600 to get one way from Florida to Northern Ontario Canada.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Like a bad penny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Skurka View Post
I'm just sayin . . .

YouTube- another clip from RV
But, he wasn't pulling the trailer from hell!! When we made that turn into the one fuel station in TN that had what looked like a ski slope for a drive I completely forgot about that damn trailer and my Jeep. The Jeep? Oh, it's fine. It's a real trooper. It's ready for a trip each week. The trailer? Um, that's a different story. Did I mention paying the manager at the Home Depot store to re-open after he closed so I could buy some extra tools I didn't think I'd need to pack?

Four hours later I'd disassembled the trailer, rewired all the lights (wires broke when trailer pulled apart), put the trailer back together, reloaded the Jeep and was back on the road. And I never once complained about rolling around on the ground on the side of the road in 15 degree weather wearing just a sweat shirt. I can't remember; if I hadn't mentioned it before, that's where my wife walked to the truck stop across the way and bought me a tube of super glue to glue my thumb back together from where I smacked it with a 3 pound sledge hammer and split it open when I was straightening the trailer. No worries, it burned like alcohol X 3 but I didn't need to get the 3 or 4 stitches it would have needed.

Did I mention that when we got back I noticed my 6" drop hitch wasn't a 6" drop hitch anymore? Apparently that big C9 Cat engine had no problem pulling the 'drop' right out of that hitch. It's got about a 3" drop to it now and looks like it's standing at about half staff. Here, I found a picture I took with my phone just before we left. It's hard to tell, but with the coach, tongue for the dolly trailer and about 15' for the Jeep it's about 62' long. Combine the fact that you can't back the damn dolly trailer (it pivots), and it's a beast to get into a parking spot!
Attached Images

Last edited by Dargo; 01-09-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Like a bad penny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by groomerguyNWO View Post
Back to the original topic on this thread...
Dad made it back from florida with his new pre-owned rv. He said it ran great all the way but that he did have the exact same problem as Dargo with the alarms going off for the leveling jacks. He said he found his problem right away after reading the manual and added oil to the system and away he went.

As for fuel mileage on a big RV like that, he said he was rather impressed. His is a v10 gas with a banks power pack. He said there was lots of power left even after he got it up to 70mph. He didn't figure out the exact gas mileage yet but said it cost him around $600 to get one way from Florida to Northern Ontario Canada.
I'm glad he found the problem easily. As I mentioned somewhere, that was exactly what was causing the false alarm for the jacks down on mine. One thing I learned about fuel economy with mine is that it makes a huge difference depending on the speed you run. According to our GPS log, my high speed was 92 mph. I think that was when my lane was ending and nobody would let me over, so I just had to run faster to get over. Also, going through all the mountains in TN, my coach would stay right at 70 mph where I had my cruise set at the time going up the longest and steepest climbs. However, that too took a toll on my fuel economy.

On the way back I pretty well kept cruise set right at whatever the speed limit was rather than running with the traffic. That made almost 5 mpg difference in my fuel economy. I think I may have mentioned it before, but at 65 mph, I'm turning just under 1500 RPM. Apparently it's got some tall 6th gear. On a quick side note, I don't know how you could run a setup as heavy as what I'm running without the engine braking setup. I barely had to use any brakes with it on. With it off, I felt like I was always on the brakes.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Gold Member

I guess that would be a benefit from the deisel vs gas in a motorhome. I could see an engine brake being a real help driving something like that.