Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Vehicles > Campers / Motorhomes Forum

Old 05-09-2010, 05:17 PM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do you set an RV up for high altitude/cold weather travel?

if you are worried about freezing that much here is what we do up here in the arctic where our domestic service runs through perma frost there is a circulating pump that keeps the water moving as long as the water is moving it isn't going to freeze insulation around the pipes will help and antifreeze in the black and grey tanks is a good idea so you can dump them be more worried about the plumbing than the tanks as the chance for damage is more likely going to happen in your pipes
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Like a bad penny...

Dargo will become famous soon enough

I'm back to this issue. Since there is a distinct possibility that I may need to take my daughter to Boston in my coach and live in it or a while, I an in desperate need of trying to find a company who can modify my RV to operate in sub freezing temps. I'm severely hampered in my current ability to do the work, so I'd pretty well have to buy some "kit" of sorts if I'm going to do the work.

I'm so pissed at our local RV dealers that hell will freeze over before I'd buy a single gallon of RV antifreeze from them. After all but begging them to give me a price on doing a conversion to keep my exposed water lines, fresh, gray and black water tanks from freezing they flat refused to do any work on my RV since I didn't buy it from them. I really don't think the RV, especially the middle to higher end, business is booming right now. I think that attitude is a guaranteed way to go out of business.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas? I've seen temp controlled 'heating' pads for the tanks that draw very little and just keep the temps above about 40 degrees. That just leaves the dumping valve area and a few exposed supply lines. It seems like I could buy some heated tape/wrap for them hopefully controlled by a thermostat. If not, heck, I can just run them off a variable voltage dial or, at worse, a toggle switch. I just can't find anything.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:07 PM
worn out farmer

muleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nice

If you are willing to run your generator a good bit you could use regular heat tapes and wrap the lines and insulate them. The tanks with some rv antifreeze in them won't be that big of a deal but the valves to dump them will need tape and insulation to protect them going down the highway. I would use foam insulation and good tape like gorilla tape to hold it in place. Fiberglass will absorb water and salt slush too much. Wrap all the lines with the tape running from front to back so the air is less likely to unravel it.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:22 AM
nullius in verba

Thanked 2,149 Times in 1,104 Posts
Danang Sailor has a spectacular aura aboutDanang Sailor has a spectacular aura about

There are RV's that are made with closed bottoms that are specifically designed for cold weather use. That being the case, it should be possible to install the necessary parts on the one you have now. We have had much good luck with the Camping World folks; based on your public data I'm guessing this is their location closest to you:

Bath, NY
500 West Morris Street
Bath, NY 148108668517700
More Info
If you give them a call and explain your situation they may very well be able to help, or at least point you in the right direction.

Good Luck!!
"If you wish to remain a living citizen, master
and practice the skills of the marksman."
--
PO1 R. T. Dyche

Old 01-15-2011, 06:17 AM
worn out farmer

muleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nice

Danang, That is a local place to me but Dargo is in Indiana. That local dealer is where we hold the pet expos when the weather is nice.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:19 AM
awful member

mbsieg is on a distinguished road

Haybales......... Yep thats your answert haybales and a knipco heater. and maybe a flaming cat. On a serious note Rent a motel room monthly or a house nearby a RV not set up for winter is going to cost alot of $$$$$$$$ to make it winterable. will the furnace even keep up? they sell them as 1 season units for a reason. It would e cheaper to trade it off for a 4 season pusher than put a belly under that one.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Bronze Member

tommu56 will become famous soon enough

I would call around to another RV dealers in your area and ask them it doesn’t have to be a Fleetwood dealer ask some friends for recommendations look at the yahoo groups or other RV forums for suggestions.

Tom
Old 01-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Master of Distraction

PBinWA will become famous soon enoughPBinWA will become famous soon enough
Style: VB_Original_Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsieg View Post
On a serious note Rent a motel room monthly or a house
+1 Dargo, you can afford to stay at a Residence Inn or something equivalent (Extended Stay type place) - just get one of those and be done with it. You don't want to be dealing with a monster RV in Boston.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

-Gerald Ford

Old 01-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Like a bad penny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBinWA View Post
+1 Dargo, you can afford to stay at a Residence Inn or something equivalent (Extended Stay type place) - just get one of those and be done with it. You don't want to be dealing with a monster RV in Boston.
I don't know how long the stay will be or even if we may need to move to a different location every week or two. I've already dropped a few thousand in hotel stays. So, in my mind, it's either time to dump the RV if it's completely useless for our needs or make it work. It's so open with so much room to operate under it that it sure looks like a simple job with the right materials. I've already spent probably 2 or 3X what it will cost to make it work in hotel bills, and the hotels were NOT that great. Having my "hotel" in the back lot of the hospital sure has it's advantages; especially with my own laundry, no strange smells, bugs etc.

If you can't get an RV setup to operate in cold weather for under 200 grand, I am completely out on owning an RV; so upgrading to a more expensive model isn't an option I'd consider. If I can just find the right components, I think I can do this even with one leg because most work would be laying on a creeper (adjusts to sitting, laying and even raising legs). As soon as they said "Oh, you didn't buy this from us" and proceeded to give me the bum rush out of their store I knew I was in a very poorly managed dealership. The problem is that it's the only local dealership that sells anything bigger than glorified pop-ups. As I said, piss on them; they lost my business and the business of all I speak with in the future. Can you imagine dealing with a dealer that has that attitude if you just dropped a couple hundred grand on a coach and you had some minor issues they didn't want to handle?

As far as running the generator; it's a 4 cylinder Kubota diesel with very low hours that seems to just sip fuel. I wouldn't be concerned about putting thousands of hours on it.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Like a bad penny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleman View Post
If you are willing to run your generator a good bit you could use regular heat tapes and wrap the lines and insulate them. The tanks with some rv antifreeze in them won't be that big of a deal but the valves to dump them will need tape and insulation to protect them going down the highway. I would use foam insulation and good tape like gorilla tape to hold it in place. Fiberglass will absorb water and salt slush too much. Wrap all the lines with the tape running from front to back so the air is less likely to unravel it.
That's sort of what I've read; to be careful about the dump valves and insulate well. I literally have a minimum of 12" or so in even the tightest spaces for applying some sort of heating tape and insulation. That sounds like the way to go if I could just find one good RV place that sells that sort of equipment. Going with the highest quality heaters for the 3 main tanks (the ones with thermostats) and even the high end heat tape with a rheostat to control them along with the same for wrapping the dump valves, I was well under a grand even adding for insulation. I have enough room to even use some marine plywood (and even coat it again with resin) and enclose the areas that are exposed with insulation inside the enclosed areas.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:52 PM
worn out farmer

What size are the lines for the water? You should be able to do regular heat tapes and use the foam tubes to cover them with. Modern heat tapes have thermostat ends on each one. If your runs are not that long they work great. always put the split seam down and tape the seams between pieces. Wish I was closer I could fix you up quick as I have done a lot of mobile homes over the years. The valves for the holding tanks will be the toughest to insulate but plastic sheeting alone helps to hold the heat in. You might need to use fiberglass on the valves and wrap them good with plastic and tape. I would not sweat the tanks if you use some antifreeze in them. Make sure the thermostats are left outside the insulation on the tapes or they wont work.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Like a bad penny...

Quote:
What size are the lines for the water? You should be able to do regular heat tapes and use the foam tubes to cover them with. Modern heat tapes have thermostat ends on each one. If your runs are not that long they work great. always put the split seam down and tape the seams between pieces. Wish I was closer I could fix you up quick as I have done a lot of mobile homes over the years. The valves for the holding tanks will be the toughest to insulate but plastic sheeting alone helps to hold the heat in. You might need to use fiberglass on the valves and wrap them good with plastic and tape. I would not sweat the tanks if you use some antifreeze in them. Make sure the thermostats are left outside the insulation on the tapes or they wont work.
Thanks! When I get back from a Dr. visit I'm going to start trying again to look up places where I can find the heating tape you talked about. I'd love to buy the tape and tank pads from one place, but if I can't, I can't. I just need to get it done. Just from memory, I'd say the supply lines are no larger than 1/2". Where the drain valve is, that compartment is insulated and has the standard hose and rinse out lines I'd need to warm but also I noticed a 120v outlet inside that compartment. Why couldn't I just secure the 1500 watt ceramic heater sitting right next to me that has a thermostat that goes down to 45 degrees inside that compartment? It would heat that small area in no time. Any issue with doing that?
Old 01-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
brain storm use some out door wood boiler pipe its pre insulated 2 lines heat tape might not be needed.

we use heat tape at our waste water treatment plant and this is what we use

http://www.easyheat.com/PDF_Files/_f..._weblayout.pdf

we get it from our electrical parts supply house the plugs kits come separate.

It works there with out a problem the only thing we found is on some larger lines (4") put 2 or 3 passes on bottom of pipe about 1" apart worked better for us than wrapping we used neoprene insulation (armoflex) over them.

tom
Old 01-15-2011, 01:17 PM
worn out farmer

You can get the heat tapes and insulation at Ace hardware or Home depot, Lowes. You need to know how long your runs are as they come in all kinds of lengths. Get the long one and wrap it around in 6 inch spirals. I think the ceramic heater would be overkill for what you need but if everything is in there it would work. Those things take a lot more power than a heat tape. Frost king is a good brand of heat tape. Get the good gorilla tape or a real good duck tape. It needs to take the water and spray going down the road. I usually use 3m brand electric tape to tape the heat tape every few feet to keep it from moving when you are wrapping it around the pipes.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Like a bad penny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
brain storm use some out door wood boiler pipe its pre insulated 2 lines heat tape might not be needed.

we use heat tape at our waste water treatment plant and this is what we use

http://www.easyheat.com/PDF_Files/_f..._weblayout.pdf

we get it from our electrical parts supply house the plugs kits come separate.

It works there with out a problem the only thing we found is on some larger lines (4") put 2 or 3 passes on bottom of pipe about 1" apart worked better for us than wrapping we used neoprene insulation (armoflex) over them.

tom
Hmm, I wonder if any local electrical supply place around me would carry this product? My only other question is how much draw it would have? I like the way they showed wrapping it around valves. I could wrap it around valves as well as the drain petcock and then insulate properly around all. All I'd need then would be the heaters for a 100 gallon fresh water tank (preferably with a thermostat), 60 gallon gray and 40 gallon black tank.

If I did that and used high quality insulation and high quality tape like Muleman suggested, wouldn't that work for me? I do like the Gorilla duct tape. I always carry a roll or two in my little tool kits I have in each vehicle. That stuff is TOUGH.

So, think this would work? I'm not seeing why it wouldn't nor why I couldn't do it working at less than 100%. I'm very serious when I ask, am I missing anything? I'm not concerned with inside plumbing nor the water heater. The coach has a 60 gallon propane tank, so keeping the coach heated inside and keeping the water heater on still isn't going to send me running for propane refills very often.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Like a bad penny...

Just called my local supply house that I've used for electrical materials and they do carry that product. They said they had it in 500' rolls. Umm, that sort of was concerning me until he said he'd cut it whatever length I needed at $2.31 a foot. The thermostat is $17.56 to control the temp. He even suggested me consider just wrapping (and then insulating) the tanks with this product because apparently it draws very little and I can control everything from one thermostat.

If I do that, I need to measure, but maybe I may need a 500' roll; especially if there is a decent price break for buying a complete box. Or, probably way too much?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Bronze Member

I would do it in separate sections that way you can in plug the different sections in needed you can still use one thermostat

I would do the water lines fresh water and waste tanks all separately.

The cable is self regulating that means as it warms up the semiconducting material slows down conducting.

There are ways to splice it too but it is a pain if you but try and avoid that if impossible.

for insinuation i would try the closed cell stuff from HD just get it a size or so larger to go over pipe.

tom