Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Vehicles > Campers / Motorhomes Forum

Old 10-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,390 Posts
NorthernRedneck will become famous soon enough
Style: T66
Default Re: Truck Camper

Got the truck camper parked into it's semi permanent living area at camp. Just for piece of mind I covered it with a tarp for the winter since I don't know what shape the roof is in due to the leaking I found. I sealed the leaks on the outside but next spring the task will be to remove the interior roof panels over the top bunk and see what kind of damage there is and hopefully repair it and reinforce the roof then install new panelling to cover it up. My back wasn't in any shape this fall to tackle that job.

I was having a hard time with the left rear post for the roof. It appeared to be binding and wouldn't go all the way up or down. It's a square tube that slide in and out of a track built into the wall. The back one was showing signs of corrosion. Eventually, I discovered that water had leaked down into the tube and over the winter froze expanding the metal. I tried for 3 hours to straighten it so it would slide back into the channel. Evenutally I decided to cut it off with a saw. The back of the roof now only has one post to raise and lower it but the winch system now works fine. Once the roof is raised to the correct height I just prop a piece of wood there to hold the one corner up. The rest of the camper is in good shape including the canvas. So for $500, not a bad little camper for the kids to sleep in at camp and allow us to use for occasional weekend trips to the states, to see relatives, hunting in the fall etc. Now the bigger camper can just stay put in the seasonal site unless we're going somewhere with all the kids.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:25 PM
Gold Member

I loaded up the truck camper and brought it onto town this past weekend. We're taking a trip back home for the long weekend to go fishing. Instead of using the big camper and needing two vehicles to get there we decided to use the truck camper.

So I had sprayed some roof sealant along the top seam in the fall. Things were apparently still wet in there. I began removing the old roof panel today to repair it. My plan is to install a new piece of paneling with some 1x3 boards going width wise to reinforce it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by NorthernRedneck; 05-08-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:40 PM
Gold Member

I put a micro furnace in there overnight to dry it out. This morning I headed off to home Depot to get a few 1x3 boards and 2 4x4 pieces of paneling to repair it. It's not perfect but it'll do.

We discovered black mould covering the foam on the mattresses when we removed them and unzipped the covers. The covers went into the wash with some bleach to kill anything but the foams unfortunately didn't fare so well. We're having new ones cut this afternoon. I just couldn't convince she who must be obeyed to sleep on foam covered in black mould

Old 05-10-2016, 02:05 AM
Gold Member

Thanked 1,742 Times in 946 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

Mould in the RV absolutely terrifies me. Actually, mould anywhere terrifies me. It makes me really sick. I mean really, really sick.

All winter I keep a heater running in the RV. In the house I have personal heaters, cans of desiccant and those Damp Rid bags hung all over the place. I don't know if it helps but it makes me feel better knowing they are there.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 05-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Gold Member

I hear you. I wasn't crazy about finding it. Oh well. If a man built it a man can fix it. Not the end of the world. There won't be any mould when I'm done.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:07 AM
Gold Member

I went to a fabric store yesterday looking for replacement foam for the cushions. When I got there I found exactly what I was looking for and even better, it was on sale 40% off. Which is always a good thing. We had called around to a few places that sell the stuff. The all wanted close to $300 for the foam. I got it for $190 including my contribution to the government