• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1986 Tucker with 14000 gvw 24' trailer $20,000

Jim Currier

For sale 1986 Tucker Snow Cat 360 Chrysler Industrial engine. Front and rear passenger sits 5. Heavy front mount winch with remote. Automatic transmission. Quad steering. High value machine take home for $20,000 plus taxes . Comes with 2013 Big Tex 14,000 lb 24' trailer with Beavertail with loading ramps to haul it. Package deal. We are located in East Kootenays in British Columbia

Attachments

• IMG_2435.jpg
    IMG_2435.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 980
  • IMG_2436.jpg
    IMG_2436.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 927
  • IMG_2437.jpg
    IMG_2437.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 959
Last edited:

k9kor62

hi jim my name is korey would you sell just the cat and how much? i have a trailer already you can call me on cell 425 422 2672

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
It's now in Utah, sitting on the trailer at my snowcat buddy's shop. The trailer is eeuge! A "24' flatbed". Stupid me...I thought the 24' included the beavertail. Nope, it's 24' of deck, plus a 5' beavertail, plus a 6' tongue = 35' overall. Here's a pic taken on the way south in Deer Lodge, MT. (Note: I have since purchased a new ball mount so the trailer sits level.)

IMG_1713.jpg

KC, you live in beautiful country! The trip to pick up the snowcat was a whirlwind journey of over 1,600 miles in three days. I crossed the border into Canada at about 8 PM, spent the night in Yahk, and was back in the US about 15 hours later. But I'd love to go back and see that country. Absolutely gorgeous! I picked up a tourist guide and brought it home to hopefully plan a more leisurely trip there.

For those curious, purchasing a snowcat in Canada was not a problem. The Canadian law enforcement guy at the border, surprisingly to me, was not all that pleasant and asked a lot of questions. I'm an honest guy, pretty harmless actually, had nothing remotely illegal with me, was doing something perfectly legitimate, and in accordance with all laws as far as I know. But it sure seemed he was convinced I was up to no good... Crossing back into the US was easier, and it wasn't a guilty-til-proven-innocent type interrogation. I had to park, bring in my purchase paperwork and get a US Customs Form 7501 (IIRC) filled out and stamped. The form was for the trailer, and needed for subsequent registration purposes.

Some "food for thought": I had several conversations with Jim and Monika Currier: some on the phone, some via email, and some via text. I had complete confidence I was dealing with really nice people who were totally honest. I wired the funds to their bank ahead of time and Monika and I talked about that later. Maybe that wasn't so smart... They had my money and at that point I had... nothing, and I was a long way away in a different country. A lot of trust. In this case everything worked out, but what if they weren't such nice and honest people?

The foreign currency itself is an issue. I'm quite sure bringing 10,000 dollars in US currency across the border is illegal. So that would leave maybe traveler's checks or a cashier's check as options, but a seller would understandably want that cashier's check to clear their bank before they'd release the merchandise. How long would that process take?

One other thing I'll mention is the foreign currency process. Currencies fluctuate in value on a nearly continual basis, and one can check exchange rates easily. But what you see in a general Google search is different than the rate you'll get from your local bank. I bank with Wells Fargo and I looked at their exchange rate published on their website. (In fairness I may have been able to get a better rate from them as the transaction amount was a whole lot more than a few hundred bucks.) Then I contacted a highly rated company that specializes in foreign currency transfers and used them for the transfer process. The transaction was based on a value in Canadian dollars, so the exchange rate quoted would determine how much I'd pay in US dollars. The difference between the Wells Fargo rate on their website and what I actually paid was just over 5%. That's huge!

you can bring as much $ across the border, heading either way, as long as you declare it if you are carrying more than $10,000

Jim Currier

Glad things worked out for you, I read some other posts ya I guess I could have measured the total length of the trailer. I'm glad this deal was what you thought it was. As for our country up here . It looks great from the Hwy but until you get in the back country you only really see 10% how beautiful it really is. We have built a property that my wife can enjoy her horses and I can leave from my back yard and hit hundreds of miles of bush roads and trails. I love it here but have learned to see the beauty in other areas as well. I opolagize for the mess in my shop . I had a bear get into my RV trailer that month and rip it apart so I was dealing with that . Then the transmission in my pull truck failed. Had to go get a new truck after I couldn't sort the old one out. So it was a busy week. Bla bla bla on my part. Your welcome back anytime spring summer fall we can get to the trails by side by side we will show you around. To bad I was traveling to work when you arrived. Monika speaks highly of you.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Glad things worked out for you, I read some other posts ya I guess I could have measured the total length of the trailer. I'm glad this deal was what you thought it was. As for our country up here . It looks great from the Hwy but until you get in the back country you only really see 10% how beautiful it really is. We have built a property that my wife can enjoy her horses and I can leave from my back yard and hit hundreds of miles of bush roads and trails. I love it here but have learned to see the beauty in other areas as well. I opolagize for the mess in my shop . I had a bear get into my RV trailer that month and rip it apart so I was dealing with that . Then the transmission in my pull truck failed. Had to go get a new truck after I couldn't sort the old one out. So it was a busy week. Bla bla bla on my part. Your welcome back anytime spring summer fall we can get to the trails by side by side we will show you around. To bad I was traveling to work when you arrived. Monika speaks highly of you.

Jim,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry I didn't have the opportunity to meet you in person. Monika was/is an awesome lady. I thoroughly enjoyed working with both of you, and meeting Monika in person.

The trailer length is not a problem at all. Actually, it was an unexpected bonus. My long term project Tucker (that also came from B.C.) started out life as a 1544 with a factory six way blade and with long tracks in front. Here's a photo taken in Oregon on the way home on my "old" snowcat trailer.

DSC01148.jpg

That trailer has an 18' deck and you'll note the rear tracks slightly hang off the back. Since then my snowcat buddy and I have replaced the rear 1500 series tracks with 1600 series tracks, which are 13" longer in the rear. We also "stretched" the frame 12" behind the cab, and added a bed that's 18" longer than the original. To accommodate the replacement engine's oil pan, we had to move the front axle forward two inches. So the foot print is 13" + 12" + 2" = 27" longer. If you add the bed's extra 6", it's almost 3' longer. So the 24' flat deck will work beautifully.

Here's a photo of it on the trailer without the blade. Once you get the machine up on top of the railroad tie cribbing and securely tied down, it works reasonably well. But the loading process can be a little "sketchy", and a couple of times it's been more "exciting" than I'd like. I've been looking for another trailer for awhile, and I wanted one with a flat deck over the rear wheels

IMG_0869.jpg

It's longer than the trailer deck with no blade. Now imagine that extra length the blade would add... See what I mean about the 24' being a bonus?

While you mentioned the horses, you left out these guys. (I had to take a pic!)

IMG_1686.jpg

I may very well take you up on your invitation! Please give Monika my best regards.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
you can bring as much $ across the border, heading either way, as long as you declare it if you are carrying more than $10,000

After you mentioned that I remembered the customs forms flight attendants hand out asking if you're carrying more than $10,000. Not illegal...just have to declare it. I've never done it, but I wonder if that would get you sent to the line for "additional screening", where they make you wait and wait and wait, then go through your suitcase item by item?

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ya, I got the full inspection a couple of years ago. They removed the lens on the rear above the door to look for whatever. The comment was since OR, WA, and CO passed the pot OK laws, they can't be to careful, eh.

After you mentioned that I remembered the customs forms flight attendants hand out asking if you're carrying more than $10,000. Not illegal...just have to declare it. I've never done it, but I wonder if that would get you sent to the line for "additional screening", where they make you wait and wait and wait, then go through your suitcase item by item?

that can happen if they don't like the way your eyebrows are combed, from either side of the border - lol