• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1979 SW48

Schwalbach

Picked me up a little SW48 tonight, anyone have any manuals? Been searching for electronic copies on the internet but no luck, 1978 SW48 with Ford gas engine

Attachments

• IMG_1871.jpg
    IMG_1871.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 629

Schwalbach

Yea has some fuel system issues from sitting. Local snowmobile club did allot or work on it to use as a groomer (they claim $7500)and then lost interest in it. Going to get running and check it out. Not sure may keep it to play with or resell it. First tracked unit i owned. Do allot of snowmobile trail grooming with a lmc1800 so wanted something to tinker on /with....

alryA

Had it been repowered? A snowmobile club in NY or somewhere out east, had one FS for a long time on Koz's grooming forum..

alryA

here is the entire add found on the grooming forum. Not the same machine as you have but close in size?

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/sno...skidozer-252-with-mogul-master-dra-t4093.html

1976 Bombardier Ski-Dozer 252 with 18x9 Mogul Master Drag

This unit has been in our fleet for the past 20yrs and is a very reliable machine. We perform an annual comprehensive inspection on all of our machines, including annual replacement of all the lubricating fluids and filters. We recently performed a major overhaul of the unit, anticipating it would remain in our fleet for several more years. However, we have decided to sell it to help defray the cost of a new groomer we just put on order.

The groomer is also listed on Craigslist in Syracuse, NY at this link: Here. Please go there to see the pictures.

Below is a listing of the major features. Contact us with any specific questions:

Recent cab rebuild with:
- Metal replacement where needed
- New DuPont Imiron paint
- All new window gaskets
- Newer cab seats
- Dual defroster fans
- LED external lighting
- Brush guard
- PSA Amber dual rotor beacon

Factory rebuilt Ford 4.9 engine (Installed 2016)
- Holley 1940 carb
- New hoses
- 140amp alternator (1yr)

Rebuilt transmission (<100hrs use)

29" Tracks
- Belting is good shape (<6yrs)
- No broken grouser bars
- Drive sprockets excellent condition

6-way front blade
All new flexator suspension
All idler tires filled solid
Steering wheel controlled ram steer
45gal fuel tank
12gal hydraulic tank
6-Blade 18x9 Mogul Master drag with safety strobe lights

$13,500 or Best Offer

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
here is the entire add found on the grooming forum. Not the same machine as you have but close in size?

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/sno...skidozer-252-with-mogul-master-dra-t4093.html

1976 Bombardier Ski-Dozer 252 with 18x9 Mogul Master Drag

This unit has been in our fleet for the past 20yrs and is a very reliable machine. We perform an annual comprehensive inspection on all of our machines, including annual replacement of all the lubricating fluids and filters. We recently performed a major overhaul of the unit, anticipating it would remain in our fleet for several more years. However, we have decided to sell it to help defray the cost of a new groomer we just put on order.

The groomer is also listed on Craigslist in Syracuse, NY at this link: Here. Please go there to see the pictures.

Below is a listing of the major features. Contact us with any specific questions:

Recent cab rebuild with:
- Metal replacement where needed
- New DuPont Imiron paint
- All new window gaskets
- Newer cab seats
- Dual defroster fans
- LED external lighting
- Brush guard
- PSA Amber dual rotor beacon

Factory rebuilt Ford 4.9 engine (Installed 2016)
- Holley 1940 carb
- New hoses
- 140amp alternator (1yr)

Rebuilt transmission (<100hrs use)

29" Tracks
- Belting is good shape (<6yrs)
- No broken grouser bars
- Drive sprockets excellent condition

6-way front blade
All new flexator suspension
All idler tires filled solid
Steering wheel controlled ram steer
45gal fuel tank
12gal hydraulic tank
6-Blade 18x9 Mogul Master drag with safety strobe lights

$13,500 or Best Offer

The two machines are like night and day

Not the same at all..... the SV252 is a over the snow machine and the SW48 is not. The SW will go through the snow to point about 18” then it loses it ability to steer well.

Schwalbach

simple carb kit and got it running, started working on the lights and well those LED lights I had laying on the bench were easier than fixing the old ones, so LED lights all around, seems to run good, steer good, even the stereo, (a surprise addition, a 45 watt alpine stereo) heater wipers etc all work, just got to get rid of rust in gas tank and reinstall it and I can play a little more with it, I assume no one will bash me if I driver it around on the driveway to play a little even with no snow?

Attachments

• IMG_1955.jpg
    IMG_1955.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 378

Schwalbach

tried the vinegar trick for fuel tank, 3 weeks later looks like new, almost considered tossing it, due to rust and large chunks flaking off, even the fuel sender is moving again and works! Soaking with diesel fuel now.

Attachments

• IMG_1963.jpg
    IMG_1963.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 357

Schwalbach

Ok need a little help, maybe someone has "been there done that"
1.compression 150+ on all cylinders
2. new plugs
3. new wires
4. installed carb kit after checking all passages with wire and soaking in cleaner, rebuilt second time and no difference
5. new pcv valve
6. checked timing, 6 degrees, but runs better advanced way more,more on that later
7. vacuum 15" plus at idle
here is problem , runs very rich almost to point of flooding, Idle screw does nothing for idle mixture, remove pcv line and run's ok but still rich, idle or wide open throttle, plug pcv in and floods very bad, tried velocity governor open or closed, does not clear up rich condition. Carb was very corroded when first started working on, checked for vacuum leaks and none at carb gaskets, plugged all other orifices, intake molded into head, vacuum advance works in distributor,
Problem is not sure if the Carter RBS is what belongs on this unit, thinking carb jet is causing rich condition, none available, thinking putting different carb on, BUT do not want to spend $300+ if I am missing something, but thinking a carb with adjustable jet would be better, Holly 1904?

Has me baffled, anyone want to take a stab at it?

PJL

I tinkered with a 53 Ford truck with a 1904 on it. Similiar problem. It would run fine under load but after idling a few minutes fuel would well up in the bowl and it start spitting into the carb causing overrich and plug fouling.

After much work it turned out the metering block was warped. Remove the float and you will see the screws that hold it on. I ran it across a whetstone until it was flat again. Truck ran great after that. You might have clogged or leaking passages behind that block.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am an outside of the box thinker.

you sound very capable. so here is some goof ball thought.

timing.

Put it at top dead center #1 and see if the distributor is acutally pointing at number one.

your comment about it running better way advanced is why i suggest slowing down and starting with the ignition.

at the shop i work at for fun and sema builds, we get most of the carb work around these parts and it is almost always not the carb..... metered fuel is very forgiving if every thing else is in order...... don't believe me have someone crank your engine over while you meter the fuel out of a water bottle, you will quickly find the sweet spot while dumping from a can.

Schwalbach

Timing is good idea, however, been trying to work timing, idle and vacuum together to tweak in, more I run it the better and closer to base timing it gets, has to be a passageway in carb not fully open even though I wired them all, got it to run with all vacuum hoses on now and about 12 degrees timing, still running rich but idle screw is starting to function slightly, more it runs the better to base I am getting.

This thing is really frustrating me! Anyone interested in a running machine? seriously?

IMP

Site Supporter
My J5 always had sooty plugs and ran rich for years. I upgraded the air cleaner, installed electronic ignition, vacuume timed it, and rebuilt the carburetor. Nothing really helped until one day i removed the low idle abjustment screw and blew compressed air through that port. I was able to turn the adjustment needle screw in another 3/4 turn before it seated compared to where it was. Now it runs with nice tan color plugs. Must have been some crud in there all those years.

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
When I refurbished my 1980 SW48, the stock carb was a Holley model 1940. I rebuilt the carb and found the plunger was sticking (Chinese rubber on the rebuild kits are junk). I ended up using the old plunger....and solved the problem.

Bob

P.s. If vacuum is good, jet size could also be of issue....might be for an 8 cylinder vs. our 6 cylinders in these beasts.

Schwalbach

Not the jet, measured soldered shut and drilled smaller, none available, still same, was thinking jetted for 300 maybe

added fuel psi regulator set to 1 psi same, have no scale to measure float weight so finally found new one in Washington at Mikes Carb, be here Monday.

One guy suggested maybe fuel in oil getting past rings, changed fuel smelling oil same.

verified tdc and is right, have timing set so start kicks slightly when starting and is about 10-12 degree advanced, where it runs best, but still too much fuel

lets hope float is issue.....

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
Mikes Carbs is fantastic (he had an entire YouTube video on the Holey 1940....step by step with all the needed parts....just the Chinese rubber on the plunger was junk.....but had replacement jets and weights).

My engine does run rich ....these 300 industrial engines aren’t fuel efficient by any means, but they run and run.....and start when it’s brutually cold....no electronics. If she runs well...a little extra gas smell just adds to the experience...lol.

Bob