• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

mini truck with tracks fails

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
last night the search and rescue team sent out 2 track equiped mini trucks to look for an overdue snow machiner they didnt want to ruin theres because of long stretches of barren ground the track trucks were stopped about 45 miles out when they came to snow mired them so this morning the call is out on snow cats first to try is the bv 206 because of the room for a litter lets hope they don't get it stuck its abit heavyer than a kristi don't think i can pull it out.

mattfidaho

how did it turn out? we have been having mostly lost / injured hunters here. last one was for a lost / over due hunter that was located close to his truck, same night not too far off was a jeep roll over (he was lucky there was so much man power already close by even with no major trauma exposure would have been an issue)
we are starting to get some snow but not much yet.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
how did it turn out? we have been having mostly lost / injured hunters here. last one was for a lost / over due hunter that was located close to his truck, same night not too far off was a jeep roll over (he was lucky there was so much man power already close by even with no major trauma exposure would have been an issue)
we are starting to get some snow but not much yet.
the gaurd got the black hawk off theground and found him in a cabin about 65 miles up the road the bv 206 that went out broke down at mile 60 and i broke my snow trac going out to recover the bv206 i was running in 0 vis when fell into a blow hole and broke the front axle tube

mattfidaho

dang that sucks, :( at least he was held up in a cabin.
I was shocked when I went to a avalanche class last night and the instructor was showing his pack and all the had to start fires was a bic lighter and 2 small fuel tablets.... IMO that is not nearly enough... I make sure I have my fire steal and drier lint packed with petroleum jelly, along with other fuel sticks and lighters etc.
I cant believe how many people go to the back country and never practice starting fires... it is 100X harder when you are cold or wet, not really the time to figure out how to start one. :(

were you able to get the cats back out? or are you still working on it?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I was shocked when I went to a avalanche class last night and the instructor was showing his pack and all the had to start fires was a bic lighter and 2 small fuel tablets.... IMO that is not nearly enough... I make sure I have my fire steal and drier lint packed with petroleum jelly, along with other fuel sticks and lighters etc.
I cant believe how many people go to the back country and never practice starting fires... it is 100X harder when you are cold or wet, not really the time to figure out how to start one. :(

here is 2 items i lie to have i have a fire starter stick on my key ring it is a magnisium stigk with a flint attached you shave off some magnisium with your pocket knife and strike the flint with your knife blade works any time any whereeven in temps that are too cold for liquid fuel lighters and just as compact and light second thaught when in a cat or on a sno go or quad a few magnisum flares are a must you can signal help and they make enough heat long enough they will get wet wood to burn two items that are always with me.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I read about the lost snowmobiler yesterday in the Chow Hall of the camp right after dinner. You were the first person that came to mind. I knew it wasn't you that got lost as they were very specific about it being a snowmobiler and I figgured you were a bit more self reliant and resourcefull. Bummer about your machine.
Busted an AXEL Housing? It goes on and off with a rod. The rod is soft iron and goes into an Iron Housing. They generally rust together solid and it becomes permanent. The "Fix" is to cut it off flush on one end, then drill and tap it for a large Allen Cap Screw. Unfortunately the large allen cap screws only come in Grade 8 and it will have knurels on it. You will need to grind these off or have a machine shop turn it smooth to the size of the Axel Housing Ear hole.
Odds are you don't have an axel housing. Crister may be your only source for that. I had one that I kept for a template to make spares but it's gone. Your best bet will be to either have one made out of steel, or try and repair the one you have. I have seen the Steel versions and they preform well. It's really not too hard to make. A suitable size piece of pipe, have the ends turned to the correct internal diameter to accomodate the bearings, the rest gets made out of plate. It's not a bad idea to put bronze bushings in the Pivot/Mounting holes, but just oiling it and keeping it greesed will work. If this joint rust solid as it tends to, you will no longer be able to adjust the front chain tension.
There was a welder in Healy Ak, that had a couple of "old styles" of which only one was running. He might hook you up with a used Axel tube or be able to make you one. He used to keep 2 running machines, one for hunting, and one for plowing snow. All the neighbors commented that his little machine was the "Best Snowplow" they had seen. I don't remember his name, but there can't be too many welders in Healy AK. His shop was by his house which is on the West side of the parks highway in Healy by the North Star Inn, that great big 800 Man Camp.
Good luck with getting your machine back together. I know that in Remote parts of Alaska, which is everwhere but Anchorage, problems of this nature can really test one resourcefullness. You'll need all the good karma you can get.
I spent roughly 15 years putting together a collection of ALL the parts necessary to rebuild or repair every make and model of Snow Trac, Snow Master, and Trac Master. Today is the first time I've regretted selling it off.
When I was planning to sell out, I had one associate who had a Snow Trac and we put aside a complete newely rebuilt variator, and a bunch of bogies, and just about an entire "Old-Style" in parts for him. It is possible that we set aside an Axel Housing. I won't know until I get home which will be in a few hours.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd love to see detailed photos of the damage AND the repair.

This could help out some other members in the future.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter

Best fire starter is a road flare, you can cut one down to make it lighter and cover the cut end with duct tape.

When you are just about freezing, you can grasp the cap and flare and strike it with little problems and flares burn hot and will start just about anything on fire, I carry at least two for emergency fire starters. Sealed matches too to start fires in normal cases.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I read about the lost snowmobiler yesterday in the Chow Hall of the camp right after dinner. You were the first person that came to mind. I knew it wasn't you that got lost as they were very specific about it being a snowmobiler and I figgured you were a bit more self reliant and resourcefull. Bummer about your machine.
Busted an AXEL Housing? It goes on and off with a rod. The rod is soft iron and goes into an Iron Housing. They generally rust together solid and it becomes permanent. The "Fix" is to cut it off flush on one end, then drill and tap it for a large Allen Cap Screw. Unfortunately the large allen cap screws only come in Grade 8 and it will have knurels on it. You will need to grind these off or have a machine shop turn it smooth to the size of the Axel Housing Ear hole.
Odds are you don't have an axel housing. Crister may be your only source for that. I had one that I kept for a template to make spares but it's gone. Your best bet will be to either have one made out of steel, or try and repair the one you have. I have seen the Steel versions and they preform well. It's really not too hard to make. A suitable size piece of pipe, have the ends turned to the correct internal diameter to accomodate the bearings, the rest gets made out of plate. It's not a bad idea to put bronze bushings in the Pivot/Mounting holes, but just oiling it and keeping it greesed will work. If this joint rust solid as it tends to, you will no longer be able to adjust the front chain tension.
There was a welder in Healy Ak, that had a couple of "old styles" of which only one was running. He might hook you up with a used Axel tube or be able to make you one. He used to keep 2 running machines, one for hunting, and one for plowing snow. All the neighbors commented that his little machine was the "Best Snowplow" they had seen. I don't remember his name, but there can't be too many welders in Healy AK. His shop was by his house which is on the West side of the parks highway in Healy by the North Star Inn, that great big 800 Man Camp.
Good luck with getting your machine back together. I know that in Remote parts of Alaska, which is everwhere but Anchorage, problems of this nature can really test one resourcefullness. You'll need all the good karma you can get.
I spent roughly 15 years putting together a collection of ALL the parts necessary to rebuild or repair every make and model of Snow Trac, Snow Master, and Trac Master. Today is the first time I've regretted selling it off.
When I was planning to sell out, I had one associate who had a Snow Trac and we put aside a complete newely rebuilt variator, and a bunch of bogies, and just about an entire "Old-Style" in parts for him. It is possible that we set aside an Axel Housing. I won't know until I get home which will be in a few hours.
I'm in luck as i have a whole parts machine in the back yard this is where i got my front suspension components will be working this afternoon to get it apart and will photo graph the whole repair in the field plan to drive it back.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
pics of the accedent

Attachments

• accedent damage 003.jpg
    accedent damage 003.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 394
  • accedent damage 004.jpg
    accedent damage 004.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 397
  • accedent damage 005.jpg
    accedent damage 005.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 394

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thats a relief! Since our last Sun-rise/sunset was at 12.27 PM, 2 weeks ago ( Nov 24th) I'm looking forward to seeing a sunrise tomorrow! You pictures look erily fimiliar. Been there, done that, didn't like it! Hope it all works out.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you lyndon for your wisdom the axle came out of the parts rig just as you said could not free the pin even with the pipe glowing red so out cane the sawzall after all that work i decided plan b was going in to effect cant tell what it was cause i was flying under the radar after i got the rig back into the shop my pin fell right out and the rest was a cake walk could have done it in the field will post pics after i adjust the track tomorow sorry no pics of the recovery don't want good friends in hot water but they would have been good. the day was beautiful about 0 and sunnyweather holds might go back up this weekend

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
here are some pics of the axle one of the broke one one showing the mounting point and the repair part showing how lyndon described cutting it out one of the plugs in the new housing was corroded in so badly i had to dril out the center and heat and cool to shrink it enough to remove it with out breaking the mounting ear all in all mine came apart easyly and went back together so easy i could have done it in the field . of course if i had tryed than murphys law would have kicked in and it wouldn't come apart so easy. i had some pics of the body damage to but with the 4 year old jumping on me it was impossoble to get a decent photo.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter

got the rest of the story yesterday he was crusing on his snowmachine when it broke down this is where his luck differs from mine he broke down in front of a cabin about 70 miles up the road when i break down seems im under the stars and its fix it or dig a snow cave i must be a hell of a mechanic because the only snow caves i have had to dig have been for training thank god for sat phones the incident i posted later in this thread could have been justification for the for the snow cave.