• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Downsizing to 100 square feet of bliss

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey this could be ME!!!!! :shock::unsure:

CALISTOGA, California (CNN) -- Bill and Sharon Kastrinos practice the ultimate in minimalism. They've squeezed into a 154-square-foot home that looks more like a kid's playhouse than their previous 1,800-square-foot home.

art.redhouse.cnn.jpg

The Kastrinos moved into this tiny home from an 1,800-square-foot place.

corner_wire_BL.gif

With the economy crashing, the Kastrinos traded in their spacious kitchen for one that stretches barely an arm's length.
It hasn't been without its challenges, but Sharon Kastrinos says it's exhilarating to no longer feel compelled to keep up with the Joneses. "There's a tremendous burden that's off your shoulders," she says. "Small is OK, and it might even be better."
Her husband adds that most Americans "want to be seen in their big house with a big car." But not them, not anymore.
"I don't think bigger is better," he says.
Bill Kastrinos had been in the construction business in Southern California. But when the real estate market went bust, it forced the couple to reconsider their lifestyle.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/10/22/tiny.houses/index.html#cnnSTCVideo
Now, they live in a place so small, he and his wife use a ladder to climb into their bed every night. The downstairs has a sitting area, tiny kitchen and bathroom in a space that's 98 square feet. The upstairs loft has a bed in 56 square feet of space. They keep extra clothes in their car.
"It's a very simple lifestyle," he says. "The downside of it is it takes a readjustment. You can't have 100 pairs of shoes in the closet or 50 outfits."
corner_wire_TL.gif

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/american.morning/

corner_wire_BL.gif

The upside?
The house cost them $15,000, and the utilities are a mere $15 a month. The couple now live on property owned by their daughter in California wine country, where the average home in 2007 cost $725,000. If they want to leave, the home has wheels and can be pulled behind their vehicle and plugged into any RV park in the nation.
The family still has their 1,800-square-foot home, but they will probably sell it. The house is too expensive, they say, costing them about $1,500 a month in mortgage payments, plus another $160 in utilities.
The change to their shed-like home has been so dramatic that Bill Kastrinos is now building the tiny homes to sell. He's sold 11 in six months, most of them in the range of $15,000 to $20,000. Clients range from people on welfare to retirees on fixed income, he says. Inquiries about the homes are on the rise, he adds.
The Kastrinoses might be extreme in their shedding the traditional American dream, but others are trying it too.

http://www.ireport.com/ir-topic-stories.jspa?topicId=121155
In nearby Sebastopol, California, Jay Shafer designs tiny homes and has even started a blog about living on less. His homes have a designer feel -- interior wood paneling, stainless steel kitchens, built-in bookcases -- packed into a space about the size of walk-in closets of upscale homes. His smallest home has 65 square feet; his biggest (a three-bedroom place) has 774 square feet.
"I look around and I do see a lot of people who seem they're slaves to their homes," he says. "I didn't want to pay rent or a mortgage forever. So my plan was to escape the rat race."

Is he trying to make a political statement, or is his new way of life about being practical?
"It's both," he says, his head touching the vaulted ceiling from his bed. "It's a very practical thing for me. If I didn't have a 100-square-foot house, I probably wouldn't be able to afford to live in this county. Aside from that, politically speaking, I like the idea of showing people how little a person could need."
By sizing down, he says he's living on a total of $15,000 a year. He doesn't have to worry about not making a mortgage payment and gets to work a job that he enjoys.
"Living in a small house has allowed me to do what I love doing, which is designing more small houses," he says.
He, too, has purged junk and other items, donating most of it to the Salvation Army and to friends. "It does feel good," he says. "I don't miss the extra books, the extra clothes I never wore."
He's married, but there's not enough space for his spouse in his place. He's designing her a nearby place that's about triple the size of his: 280 square feet.

He admits a tiny house isn't for everybody. But with the economy in a tailspin, he says, he doesn't worry one bit about it, thanks to his newfound lifestyle. It's peace of mind you can't put a price on.
"I don't think I have anything to worry about," he says. "I've made more money, and I can save all of it and still go out to eat."

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Nothing wrong with down sizing...to be honest me and my dear wife started out in life by renting a caravan for our first home....and happy memories we have.

pic shows the type we first called home.

It must be better than getting in debt.

Attachments

• caravan2.jpg
    caravan2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 117

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
We had one like that! Only much more faded.

So, you going to tell us why you had to disappear for a bit, or did I miss that thread?

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
$15K to $20K seems really expensive for something like the house/travel trailer pictured. A commercial travel trailer of better quality can be had for a lot less.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
$15K to $20K seems really expensive for something like the house/travel trailer pictured. A commercial travel trailer of better quality can be had for a lot less.

REALLY!?!?? Where? How? :shock:
Youre not talking about a cargo container are ya? :huh:

jwstewar

Quite easy Sushi. Heck I built a 12x16 shed for about $1000. There can't be 14k worth of materials in that shed they call a house. You can probably do the plumbing and the wiring for less $1000. Add a regular door and window for a few hundred bucks and some insulation and drywall. You are still WAY, WAY under $5,000.

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
REALLY!?!?? Where? How? :shock:
Youre not talking about a cargo container are ya? :huh:

I just went to the website of a local RV dealer, www.madisonrv.com and checked their inventory. A new 28 foot Dutchman travel trailer was under $19,000. They had another Jayco 20 foot that they said was used but was listed as a 2008 model was under $17,000. That little storage shed on wheels you featured appeared to be built on a 16 ft tandem axle utility travel that typical sells for around $1000.

I have no connection with Madison RV and if my posting of their website is in violation, I apologize. It is simply for reference purposes only.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter

I was thinking the same thing. It looks like they "built a house" on a 16' 7000lb capacity flatbed trailer like I have for my tractor.

I could definitely find a nice used 16-18' self contained travel trailer for less. That, could be pulled by a 1/2 ton pickup or SUV still too.

I think a plain jane travel trailer would look nicer than red shed on a flatbed trailer too...

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/rvs/889428507.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/rvs/889346670.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/rvs/888805896.html

Closer in size... http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/rvs/884450265.html

Last edited:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
It does make sense. Hell folks can get a HUGE cargo container for $1000.

The Crown Vic has about 40 Sq ft :tongue:
I just waxed her yesterday. :in_love::in_love:

Attachments

• PICT0662.jpg
    PICT0662.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 105

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I wouldnt mind living in something like that but a little larger. It would have to be surrounded by trees in a beautiful location though. :smile:

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I wouldnt mind living in something like that but a little larger. It would have to be surrounded by trees in a beautiful location though. :smile:

Now he gets PICKY.... LMAO

Damn it Jim. You will win with that avatar I think...